Comics Dan Slott's interview with Newsarama

SpideyInATree

Chillin' Like a Villain
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-100730.html

The first part of Dan Slott's interview with Newsarama. Lots of additional info about what may be going on with the story and also how the structure of the twice a month schedule is gonna go.

It's great to hear that the expansion to 30 pages that most of the books will have 30 pages of the actual story. Only a few issues will be 22 pages with an 8 page back up.

And the Marcos Martin issues will both be 30 pages. NICE! :woot:

I really miss Spider-Man and feel that this would be a good jumping on point to give it a shot, but I read things like Spidey being in a relationship and BND aspects still being continued and I still hate it. Not to mention I don't like the way Slott and the others portray Peter and this seems to just be a continuation of that. Yeah, it sounds like there's some progression but it's still not up to the aspect of where he was pre-BND so it still feels hollow. But then again, I can't really comment on that without reading the book... though it's still up in the air if I even want to try it post OMD. It's still BND, only with a new tag.

I will say, though, that Hobgoblin is still my second favorite Spidey villain behind Shocker and seeing a new start for the character in some new incarnation interests me, as does seeing Gargon as the Scorpion again. I like the ideas Slott's throwing out there, and I do like Slott's writing, but there's just too much BND mixed in that I find as a turn off.

Then there's the question of price. There's, what, 8 or 9 straight issues at $4 an issue from Grim Hunt to O.M.I.T, so Slott's mention of it being normal price, is that $3 or $4? If the title with the extra pages is $4 an issue then it's a definate no shot, but if it's $3 then I may consider trying the first arc.

I guess we'll see.

Im much more comfortable with Spider-man in collected editions nowadays....

Come on, JH. Join us on the Dark Side.

You have no idea how much I want to... but it's just far too offensive and not at all the Peter Parker/Spider-Man I grew up loving to follow. It's possible this may change when Mr. Slott takes over officially but due to his love of the BND direction I don't see that happening. I gave my reasonings above as to why I may consider it, but I think the negative aspects (to me) still may overpower the positive ones.

I'm not saying I won't give the first arc a shot, as I've given other BND arcs a shot, but it's more likely I won't than I will. It's a 100% no if it's $4 an issue, even if it's just the first issue.

Marcos Martin? Good.
Stefano Caselli? Great!
Humberto Ramos? Marvel, I don't know if you've paid the slightest bit of attention to the fans over the years, but whenever people name the worst artists to ever handle spider-man, Ramos is usually on the list. I haven't seen any praise for the guys work in the fan community. This is either proof that Marvel doesn't listen to us that intently or that they're doing this simply because they can.
But whatever, really not a big deal. The other two make up for him, plus the two preview images that have been released of Ramos's new stuff don't look as crappy as stuff he's done in the past, so I'm willing to give him a chance. They definitely could have done better, but I'm holding out and seeing if maybe his stuff has improved.
Art aside, I like the way this is sounding. The biggest thing the book has lacked over the past two years is consistency. The revolving door of creative teams has definitely made the feel of the book suffer, and has dragged on sub-plots and story lines much longer than they should be. So I'm glad we're down to one writer.
Plus it sounds like the direction they're heading in is interesting. It sounds like it could be really dumb or really cool (New suit? New gadgets? New girl?), it all depends on the execution. We'll see, I'm excited about this upcoming year.

You have no idea how much I want to... but it's just far too offensive and not at all the Peter Parker/Spider-Man I grew up loving to follow. It's possible this may change when Mr. Slott takes over officially but due to his love of the BND direction I don't see that happening. I gave my reasonings above as to why I may consider it, but I think the negative aspects (to me) still may overpower the positive ones.

I'm not saying I won't give the first arc a shot, as I've given other BND arcs a shot, but it's more likely I won't than I will. It's a 100% no if it's $4 an issue, even if it's just the first issue.

I think it's Mr.Slott's love of writing Spider-Man, a married one or not, that will make this book fly high....

Dan is simply following Marvel protocol when it comes to sticking with the new direction.

And not that I want to prevent you from buying it, because like VC, I would love it if a fellow Spider-Man fan could enjoy the book as much as we do, but the $3.99 price tag will be a permanent fixture... though with the extra dollar, we get 8 extra pages... so we'll get a 30 page book twice a month (instead of your usual 22 page comic).

I hope you can work it into your budget...

:yay:

Marcos Martin? Good.
Stefano Caselli? Great!
Humberto Ramos? Marvel, I don't know if you've paid the slightest bit of attention to the fans over the years, but whenever people name the worst artists to ever handle spider-man, Ramos is usually on the list. I haven't seen any praise for the guys work in the fan community. This is either proof that Marvel doesn't listen to us that intently or that they're doing this simply because they can.
But whatever, really not a big deal. The other two make up for him, plus the two preview images that have been released of Ramos's new stuff don't look as crappy as stuff he's done in the past, so I'm willing to give him a chance. They definitely could have done better, but I'm holding out and seeing if maybe his stuff has improved.
Art aside, I like the way this is sounding. The biggest thing the book has lacked over the past two years is consistency. The revolving door of creative teams has definitely made the feel of the book suffer, and has dragged on sub-plots and story lines much longer than they should be. So I'm glad we're down to one writer.
Plus it sounds like the direction they're heading in is interesting. It sounds like it could be really dumb or really cool (New suit? New gadgets? New girl?), it all depends on the execution. We'll see, I'm excited about this upcoming year.

I'm not a fan of Humberto Ramos neither, but from what I hear, he's very "hit or miss" with the fans...

Here goes part 2 of the inteview

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-100802.html

I'm definitely pumped to see where Dan is going to go with everything.

Can't. Wait.

Martin and Caselli are soooo good...(I might actually be looking forward to what Caselli does more. And I LOVE Martin's spidey)..that I can overlook Ramos. Who knows. I've never liked Bachalo much either, but i did like what he did on the title.

And Dan? Spider-Mobile. Cannot Miss. I guarantee!!

Yes Marcos Martin! That's great news! Humberto Ramos, eh... c'mon... I liked his Goblin story arc back in the day for Peter Parker, Spider-Man.

Why can't we get Phil Jimenez, Marcos Martin, and John Romita Jr as a rotating team, that would kick-butt!

Why can't we get Phil Jimenez, Marcos Martin, and John Romita Jr as a rotating team, that would kick-butt!

Because other than Romita Jr., the others couldn't seem to handle the workload.... and Romita Jr. has his hands full with the Avengers.

That's my theory....

:o

Alright, I'll say it. I like Ramos's work and I am very happy he is returning to Spider-Man. I enjoy his style. In fact I like his stuff more than most of the artists that have been on BND.

See I'm a guy where Ramos is hit and miss with me. When he was on Peter Parker Spider-Man I thought he was freakin' amazing. I really liked his style and what it brought to Spider-Man. However, when he was on Spectacular Spider-Man it kind of bugged me and it didn't seem as dynamic as his earlier work. Maybe that is due to different inkers and colorists, etc.

However, after reading Dan's interview about the pages he's seen from Ramos and the preview art we've already seen I'm pretty positive about this new stint on the book. Like Dan said...he's going to be working on Amazing Spider-Man and he's gonna be bringing his A-game.

So, we will see in November.

Because other than Romita Jr., the others couldn't seem to handle the workload.... and Romita Jr. has his hands full with the Avengers.

That's my theory....

True true, but it would be a good line-up. I love Jimenez's style, as well as Martin, especially for Spider-Man. And Romita Jr, well he's solid for Spidey:liz:

I'm not a fan of Ramos at all... I don't like his "Thumb-looking people"
I don't like Romita Jr either. I did years ago, before his style changed in the 90's.

Well, I just picked up the first two issues of O.M.I.T. so I can learn the "actual events" :rolleyes: of how the wedding/Back in Black and all that went with the artificial status quo now. I really tried to give it a shot leading into me giving Dan Slott's run a shot, but it unfortunately gave me the opposite results. The two issues of O.M.I.T. are now in the trash can and knowing that the book will continue this rediculous status quo I'm just counting my days as a Spider-Man fan done. I miss what he was but that's gone and I can't stand him anymore, as a character or a property.

You really should have consulted with us first, JH. Any one of us would have told you to hold of until OMIT was done. Oh well...

It isn't just O.M.I.T. If I had waited the status quo and excuse for getting there would still be the same. Slott's book will still be following that direction and I just can't swallow that. Sorry guys. But I'm not going to hijack the thread with this. Feel free to discuss the interview. I just wanted to comment on O.M.I.T. in here since I was talking about maybe joining earlier in the conversation.

Well, we all appreciate the efforts, but like VC said, OMIT might not have been the "best" place to start...

It isn't just O.M.I.T. If I had waited the status quo and excuse for getting there would still be the same. Slott's book will still be following that direction and I just can't swallow that.

Wait... You thought Peter and MJ would be married again after O.M.I.T.? I thought it was clear the new status quo was here to stay.

No, I didn't expect them to get married, but I wasn't expecting to see the history of the character and the work of those previous so shamelessly undone. It was absolutely tasteless in how it was approached. I thought I'd be willing to finally just try and overlook the changes to Spider-Man's past but seeing HOW it's changed, I just can't accept it. I mean, one of my favorite scenes in Spidey's history (not sure why, but it always stayed with me) was when MJ was worrying and Peter not showing and then Peter in the next panel running up. Well, now it isn't Peter coming to her but Aunt Anna I believe. It just got under my skin. Then the reasonings for them not getting married but just remaining together were absolutely rediculous and didn't make any rational sense. I mean, you don't want to get married because you didn't want to have kids? Buy some condoms man.

Anyhow, it was just rediculous and reminded me how much all of this is unnecessary and hurts the years of my enjoyment... and how much the people at Marvel just don't care. So while Mr. Slott is writing a Spidey he loves, it's still Marvel publishing a tainted Spidey and I'm not ready to support that. I'm just growing to hate the character altogether now.

Don't retcons happen all the time? Has Spidey really been going thru the worst retcon of all time?

Besides, the original issues are still there. Those stories still happened. Marvel can't erase your memories! Or your collection.

Little retcons here and there, yes, but not to this level. And for Marvel, yes, this is the worst retcon of all time. I would have happily taken Ben is Peter or Gwen sleeps with Norman over this crap anyday. And yes, the original stories are still there and I will enjoy them, but that's where it stops. I'm not going to read through them editing in my mind anything having to do with the marriage, or the Clone Saga, etc. In order for me to accept and comprihend the new issues I have to accept that those issues didn't happen as they were laid out on paper and I won't do that. So for me, ultimately, Spidey just stopped at Back In Black. Though really, the Spidey I loved stopped when Aunt May came back from the dead. The rest was just borrowed time.

But all they retconned was the wedding day.

You don't have to edit in your mind anything, because if they weren't married in the first place, then the deal would never have happened.

For me, I really don't care that they are not married. It's OMD that was brutal. Everything else isn't really that bad. At the same time, I think Sins Past would have been better with JMS' original idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"