Comics What is Marvel thinking?!

Supa

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.mtv.com/news/2199978/amazing-spider-man-marvel-dan-slott/

This is Peter Parker's post-Secret Wars book and I just...
I don't even know where to begin!

How can someone completely and utterly miss the entire appeal of the character like this? Spider-Man, the global CEO, who fights crime in his spider-mobile that transforms into an eight-legged walker? Does that even sound remotely like Spidey? This sounds like Batman 2.0! Why?!

We can't let Spidey be married or have kids because that ages him, but this is fine? Why is Slott even allowed on the books anymore?

Pfft.

This is pure stalling tactics. Give fans something "new" and "different" enough that they'll buy just to gawk at (even though this is essentially turning Peter Parker into 1960s Iron Man/Morisson's Batman Inc. Bruce Wayne) and then become disappointed by.

Then when Marvel reverts to the status quo in time for Captain America: Civil War with a likely teenage Peter Parker at this rate (certainly younger than he was even in post-BND 616), fans will be thankful.

Call me a cynic, but this is like when they wrote Peter into an out-of-character corner by having him unmask in Civil War (the comics) and be Iron Man's crony. He was so cornered that Brand New Day was meant to seem like a reprieve and back to basics for fans. Still lame.

Sooooooooooooooooooo... if I understand correctly, you want a mature grown Peter Parker who has similar adventures like the ones we read in the 60's & 70's, right?

lol... :yay:

Just like in the real world, Spider-Man is everywhere. Now that Peter Parker is an international icon, Spider-Man has become his bodyguard — mirroring a storyline that played out with Tony Stark back when “Iron Man” first launched — and so Spider-Man’s logo is on shirts, posters, toys, games and more all over the world.

Call me crazy, but I think Peter can have new adventures without turning him into Stark.

Sooooooooooooooooooo... if I understand correctly, you want a mature grown Peter Parker who has similar adventures like the ones we read in the 60's & 70's, right?

lol... :yay:

Is that directed at me? Not sure where you got that.

I want them to tell new stories with Peter Parker. I think Marvel trying to redo what they did in the '60s and '70s has bemusedly led to killing off Peter in their first, fairly successful try (Ultimate Spider-Man), killing him off again temporarily in their next poor one (Superior Spider-Man), and then trying to turn him into Tony Stark/Grant Morrison's Bruce Wayne shortly after bringing him back again (whatever the hell this thing is now).

It is quite amusing that they have had more success with Miles Morales than they have with anything Peter related in post-BND. I think Slott is closer to what this needs to be with Renew Your Vows. That is an interesting and organic way of taking the character.

Otherwise, they are stuck with these redundant publicity stunts.

So Peter is now pretty much Iron Man with certain Batman elements thrown in. :whatever:

*sigh*

Marvel clearly has no clue what to do with the character anymore, and it hasn't been a recent trend either. Hate to admit it, but Spidey might be at a point where he needs a Dennis O'Neil-like reinvention/reintroduction.

I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely despise modern!Peter. The vision that people like Dan Slott and Joe Quesada have for the character is just so bizarrely not Peter Parker.

I'm hoping we get a cleansing in a few years. We need to get Peter back to who he really is.

I thought he was married with kids in renew your vows

Wait, so people complained when Marvel wouldn't let Peter grow, and use his intelligence to have a successful career, and now they're complaining because they are?

Wait, so people complained when Marvel wouldn't let Peter grow, and use his intelligence to have a successful career, and now they're complaining because they are?

My problem is how hypocritical Marvel is being about the whole matter; they said that it was unrealistic for Peter to be married to a beautiful woman and that the marriage had to go in order for Peter to be an "everyman." Now they've thrown Peter into massive success (which he got by the work of SpOck), basically being a cross between Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark. Where the hell is the "everyman" in this?

Well there are ways to do that without going to such extremes.

Spider-Man is sold as being an everyman character even though there are aspects rooted in him which contradict that there's no denying that's a large part of his appeal thus his growth should really reflect that.

Being a school teacher was a good one as that's a profession that's identifiable to most readers, heck even his job at Tricorp during the Byrne/Mackie relaunch wasn't a bad idea it just needed to not been laid on so thick that it was a dream job. Strangely Slott laid it on arguably thicker with Big Time but balanced it by createding bigger problems for Peter as a result.

I personally don't mind this much as a fun diversion and actually hope it lasts longer than people think. The only thing that gives me cause for concern is the fact that Slott has covered similar ground already but it does seem the execution is different so we'll see.

Slott's very clearly not continuing that storyline. It was just a quick scam on his and Quesada's part towards the marriage fans.

I don't know. I think we'll see Annie pop up in the prime Marvel Universe.

This is Peter Parker's post-Secret Wars book and I just...
I don't even know where to begin!

How can someone completely and utterly miss the entire appeal of the character like this? Spider-Man, the global CEO, who fights crime in his spider-mobile that transforms into an eight-legged walker? Does that even sound remotely like Spidey? This sounds like Batman 2.0! Why?!

What they are thinking is simple; It allows them to have two Spider-Mans with Miles as the New York based hero and Peter as the international one and it's a followup to storylines by the same writer that happened to sell well

Last edited:
Slott's handled the character in the past quite well (in my opinion). Why don't we wait to see how this goes?

People are allowed to. But I just have to ask if this just does not seem desperate to anyone else? Slott is a good writer who has a good feel for Peter's voice, motivations, and ambitions. But it is quite telling to me that ever since they retconned Peter Parker's life in the most extreme way possible, story lines like Big Time, Superior Spider-Man, and now this are publicity stunts meant to drive up short-term attention.

Nothing about it seems like genuinely good or even organic storytelling about Peter Parker. The appeal of the Lee Ditko creation is that he just kind of grew up and changed within the confines of what they (or at least Lee and Romita) began. There was rhyme and reason.

Now, it just feels like a mad dash to see what sticks. I mean, after this, why not see what happens if Peter Parker discovers he's worthy enough to hold Thor's hammer and he is made King of Asgard? It makes about as much sense and is also something we haven't seen before. It also has almost nothing to do with why people like Peter Parker as a character, but so does little else these days.

People are allowed to. But I just have to ask if this just does not seem desperate to anyone else? Slott is a good writer who has a good feel for Peter's voice, motivations, and ambitions. But it is quite telling to me that ever since they retconned Peter Parker's life in the most extreme way possible, story lines like Big Time, Superior Spider-Man, and now this are publicity stunts meant to drive up short-term attention.

Nothing about it seems like genuinely good or even organic storytelling about Peter Parker. The appeal of the Lee Ditko creation is that he just kind of grew up and changed within the confines of what they (or at least Lee and Romita) began. There was rhyme and reason.

Now, it just feels like a mad dash to see what sticks. I mean, after this, why not see what happens if Peter Parker discovers he's worthy enough to hold Thor's hammer and he is made King of Asgard? It makes about as much sense and is also something we haven't seen before. It also has almost nothing to do with why people like Peter Parker as a character, but so does little else these days.

Nailed it.

Slott's big excuse as to why he's been so great during his run writing Spider-Man is that he got it selling again. While I like some of the ideas that he's come up with in that time, I think it's clear that they're largely just big publicity stunts.

It's like taking Red Bull or a Five Hour Energy drink routinely over a long term period. It's just not good story-telling.

This idea doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't see how this continues the "everyman" concept that Marvel is so protective of, cause god-forbid, Peter is allowed to be a happily married man with a daughter. That definitely says, "no way this guy is an everyman!" But give him some crazy new gadgets and jet set around the world handling global threats, now, that is what an "everyman" is all about :o

I just got the ASM Omnibus #1 and Roger Stern's Omnibus for Father's Day(yup, I'm married, guess that means I'm not an "everyman" :whatever:)...that'll keep me busy reading for awhile--great stories too. And hopefully this new set of Marvel movies with a younger Peter Parker/Spidey will invigorate my interest in the character again outside of the classic stories.

for me i dont like the suit having glowing parts. But curious to see what his new tech enhancements do. The new spider-mobile looks 100x better then the original. As for the whole global spiderman, where spidey is peter's bodyguard story is interesting. Going to be strange at first to see where it goes and for how long. I wasnt expecting the parker industries to still be going.

This idea doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't see how this continues the "everyman" concept that Marvel is so protective of, cause god-forbid, Peter is allowed to be a happily married man with a daughter. That definitely says, "no way this guy is an everyman!" But give him some crazy new gadgets and jet set around the world handling global threats, now, that is what an "everyman" is all about :o

I just got the ASM Omnibus #1 and Roger Stern's Omnibus for Father's Day(yup, I'm married, guess that means I'm not an "everyman" :whatever:)...that'll keep me busy reading for awhile--great stories too. And hopefully this new set of Marvel movies with a younger Peter Parker/Spidey will invigorate my interest in the character again outside of the classic stories.

I can't wait for the current management at Marvel Comics to get the hell out of there, because Peter's in desperate need of a proper reimagining, a la Dennis O'Neil's run of Batman in the 70's.

even when joe q leaves. WE have no clue who would take his position. Or where they would want to take every character. As for the current stuff for peter i dont expect it to last long. 1-2 yrs max is most likely we will see it go. Then we will probably get something more classic/back to basics like when slot took over.

The problem with having Peter do this and Miles do the main Spidey adventures is that's a real injustice to both characters.

In Peter's case, it's so far removed from what Spidey should be, and it's just not a natural evolution of the character. And even when status quo is restored, you can't just go back to being an average guy after this. He can't be Peter, random New Yorker anymore. Now he'll be Peter Parker, former CEO and former playboy. He's now the guy who had Spider-Man as a bodyguard. The average Joe angle is a huge part of Spidey's appeal, and it's the same deal as the unmasking back in Civil War. You can't just ignore it or come back from it, it's too major a change. We can only hope it ends differently than the unmasking did.

But in Miles' case, giving him Peter's bad guys, Peter's supporting cast, and Peter's problems just makes him Peter but not. I don't want to see a superhero interact with people who are constantly going "Yeah, but remember that other guy?"
I want to see a superhero interacting with people he has relationships and conflicts with, people with a personal connection to him. Miles deserves his own villains and his own cast.

This sounds to me like Superior Spider-Man mixed with a bit of Iron Man, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The only thing I don't like is the Spider-mobile. I've been dying to see Peter grow, and if he can't be an "Average Joe" to do that, that's fine with me.

How do we know miles book will have him take over normal peter stuff. We dont know for sure what happening there.

As for peter, I am sure they can write something in to bring him back to average joe. I am sure there is some plot that could work.

I am sure there is. And it will likely be just as awful as the plot that undid the unmasking and the marriage. But hey, long as the status quo is restored and Marvel keeps barking, people will go back into the tent.

hey really though even if they went back to basics right now instead of keeping the company thing. They would already have to explain failure of the company and that to the everyman aspect of peter.

This has potential. I'm going guess that when this arc is done, it will be better than Superior Spider-man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"