Comics What is Marvel thinking?!

I've actually started picking up Spidey. I was skeptical of yet another retelling of Spider-Man's origin...especially since there have been so many recent retellings (Learning to Crawl, Season One, With Great Power), but I decided to take the plunge anyway. Thus far, the story is okay. I appreciate the return of the classic Spider-Man scenario. And I like that the current story has Peter interacting with characters that he previously had not interacted with during his early days (e.g. Black Panther). I'll have to look into Spidey/Deadpool. There is always room for properly told Spider-Man stories.

Yeah I started reading Spidey from the beginning and it's been ok. Nothing great imo but still much better than the main book. The art took a turn for the worse though in Spidey...it looks just off or odd rather. The body proportions for the characters are the biggest detractor.

But lemme know what you think of the Spider-man/Deadpool series.

That could turn out really good or really bad. I'm hoping that it's the former. I've still got my stack of Spidey comics sitting in my room. Still haven't even read Renew your Vows yet so I have no clue how the "new direction" is going. I'm sure by the time I read it there will be an entirely new "NEW DIRECTION".

That could turn out really good or really bad. I'm hoping that it's the former. I've still got my stack of Spidey comics sitting in my room. Still haven't even read Renew your Vows yet so I have no clue how the "new direction" is going. I'm sure by the time I read it there will be an entirely new "NEW DIRECTION".

RYV is a 5 issue standalone comic series that is not canon. The current story in ASM is 'borrowing' the villain, Regent, from RYV however there is no other real connection. I believe that story, Power Play, wraps up with this next issue ASM #15. After that, issues #16-18 or 19 will be a precursor to the Clones story that drops in October.

I think people forget that most superheroes are wealthy or funded. Batman, Green Arrow, Fantastic 4...all wealthy. The X-Men live in a MANSION, owned by Professor X. Spider-Man stood apart from his peers because he had no such resources, yet he managed to be as good a hero (if not better) as his peers in the superhero community. Taking that struggle away from Peter doesn't make Peter suddenly "mature" or show progress. Removing his struggle is pretty much a lazy cop-out that robs Spider-Man of his most endearing trait.

Aloha,
While I agree with your post, my postilion is that it's not unreasonable that Peter Parker get rich off of his inventions. He invented dissolving Super Glue, Low Jack (spider tracers)I always thought that it was a cop out for the writers to make Peter so poor that he couldn't go to Mr Fantastic as a friend of the Human Torch and upgrade his inventions as well as use Richards as a proxy to sell them. The idea that an EveryMan can invent something in his garage or basement that makes him a fortune is not unheard of.Peter could have been doing better for himself a long time ago. It took Doc Ock to push him into the position that he's in today. Ock made Peter a Ph.D. Ock made Peter a CEO.Post Superior Spider-Man Marvel/Slott has to deal with that new reality of Peter Parker. I'm expecting a corporate takeover.But even with that, the Peter Parker without a Ph.D, is no more. He may and probably will lose his fortune at some point. But he is forever changed as a character.
Spidey rules
:susd:

RYV is a 5 issue standalone comic series that is not canon. The current story in ASM is 'borrowing' the villain, Regent, from RYV however there is no other real connection. I believe that story, Power Play, wraps up with this next issue ASM #15. After that, issues #16-18 or 19 will be a precursor to the Clones story that drops in October.

Canon or not canon I'm intensely behind in my comic reading. In fact, I subscribed to the Marvel Unlimited service since I'm so behind. Greatest move I've made in a while. I'm already over six months behind on most stuff and it's perfect. However, Spider-Man I will always stick with the floppies. That is until the book gets so awful and unrecognizable that I am left with no choice.

Is Dr Octopus out of Human Brain yet?

I'm not quite sure yet as I've only read to ASM # 13 as of today.

Finally caught up on a ton of reading. Read from Renew your Vows all the way to ASM # 13 over the weekend. I'm really enjoying what they have going on in the book right now. It's nothing to really write home about but it's certainly not bad Spider-Man stories. I'm digging a lot of the underlying plot threads that Slott has been building to and it's good to see that a lot of those things will be playing out soon. Like, for instance, the poster Doc Ock inquiring about the ACTUAL Doc Ock getting out of the Human Brain. A great time had by all!

I'm not quite sure yet as I've only read to ASM # 13 as of today.

Finally caught up on a ton of reading. Read from Renew your Vows all the way to ASM # 13 over the weekend. I'm really enjoying what they have going on in the book right now. It's nothing to really write home about but it's certainly not bad Spider-Man stories. I'm digging a lot of the underlying plot threads that Slott has been building to and it's good to see that a lot of those things will be playing out soon. Like, for instance, the poster Doc Ock inquiring about the ACTUAL Doc Ock getting out of the Human Brain. A great time had by all!

What did you think of RYV?

I can't wait for Dr Octopus to make his return and get his revenge. I wonder what new body will be like.

I can't wait for Dr Octopus to make his return and get his revenge. I wonder what new body will be like.

Aloha,
Just read my copy of Marvel Previews. He'll show up in #18-Before Dead No more.
Spiey rules

What did you think of RYV?

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I always enjoy alternate reality type of stuff and the story was solid. Left it wide open to visit this reality once again. Kind of gave me a Spider-Girl vibe for a little bit too.

Gerry Conway is heading up a new series as a follow up to Renew Your Vows for the Marvel NOW! It's apparently titled Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. Duh, lol.

But, this is very exciting news! A Spidey comic that I'm actually looking forward to and best of all, NO Dan Slott. Thank goodness.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/11/scoop-gerry-conway-and-ryan-stegman-revisit-renew-your-vows-for-marvel-now/

Pretty cool to hear especially since I just recently read it so it's fresh in my mind. I'll be very interested to see what they do with it. It will almost seem like Spider-Girl but with her being a bit younger than she was in that original series.

However, I am looking forward to see what they do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"