Dang ol' King of the Hill appreciation thread

Blitzkrieg Bop

Fight Owens Fight
Reaction score
I've seen that there is quite some hate out there for this show. To quote Hank Hill, "Well that's just asinine." I always thought this was one of the best animated sitcoms, ever. It never tried to be outrageous or incredibly funny. It instead relied on grounded characters and smaller laughs than say, South Park or Family Guy.

My favorite character would definitely be Dale, who has so many quotable lines.

"Don't worry Hank. I have played out this scenario a thousand times in my mind. Most of them, I have won."

"Gas smask! Smask. Shh-mask. Shhmask. Gas shhmask, that's it. Gas shhmask!"

"They want me to wet my pants from fear, but they're too late."

The show, like many others, did become a former shell of what it once was towards the end, but it's better episodes are still a joy to watch.

It kind of started going south in the later seasons, but for the first few I really enjoyed it.

Totally agree about the show taking a down turn in it's later seasons. Hell, maybe sooner, like after season 3-4. That said, I enjoy and even love many episodes of this show.

One of my favorite quotes is from the episode "Bobby Goes Nuts",

BOBBY: Joseph won't even come over to play any more because he says he's having nightmares about that stupid paddle.
DALE (to Hank): Did you hear that? My son is dreaming about getting spanked by your wife!
BILL: Well, that's not so unusual.

The way Bill says that line is so subtle, it's hilarious.

Another great one from Bill in the same ep,

BILL: My daddy spanked me every day from when I was nine till I was sixteen, and I turned out okay. (pause) Bastard.

Yeah Bill's great. Even when he's being super creepy, like impersonating his ex-wife.

I was thinking about some of my favorite eps...

Bobby getting gout is up there. Him tumbling down the hill after his motorized scooter dies is hilarious, and him dancing with Connie, hurt toe and all is really sweet.

The episode when Connie gets her period, that was hysterical because Hank was forced to deal with it, hahaha. This show is awesome when it puts Hank in uncomfortable situations and that in particular was great because you could really see that happening to some middle-aged guy in real life who'd be totally unprepared.

I like the episode where we meet Bug Gribble, Dale's dad. It gave me what might be my favorite Hank moment.

"Are you gay?"
"What?! No! I sell propane!"

"I loved my dad like a father and he betrayed me like a betrayer!"

Hahaha, yeah that's a great episode. The last line of that ep is one of my all-time favorites in the show,

Nancy- Are you going to be all right, knowing that your dad is gay?
Dale- Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

:lmao:

My favorite episode is when Dale destroys Hank's front yard.

King of the Ant Hill

You then see from the prespective of Dale as he's hiding behind a scrub as Hanks starts to run towards Dale

Hank hill goes blind then gets his sight back and proceeds to kick ass

Or when the guys move Luanne's old trailer and it tips over. They all run away.

Also when Hank decides to buy a new truck

Hahaha, yeah that's a great episode. The last line of that ep is one of my all-time favorites in the show,

Nancy- Are you going to be all right, knowing that your dad is gay?
Dale- Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

:lmao:
It's both sweet and sad that Dale is completely oblivious to Joseph's relation to John Redcorn. Joseph's middle name is John for God's sake.

smaller laughs than say, South Park or Family Guy

Yeah, but that's the problem. This show is incredibly well-written, better than the two shows you mentioned, but the humor is so grounded that you wonder why it's even an animated show to begin with. I give them credit for trying to do something different, but ultimately it doesn't work.

It was a way better show than South Park (insufferably preachy) and Family Guy (too inconsistent and the characters have all become unlikeable). But I do agree it doesn't even really need to be animated. For that matter, I wouldn't have minded a live action version but that ship has sailed.

Now Mike Judge has to dust off Beavis and Butthead just to keep working...sad.

I loved the Japanese half-brother two-parter. Jinchiro... heh. Did he ever appear again?

King of the Hill went downhill towards the end, but its decline wasn't nearly as bad as other animated shows, specifically Simpsons and Family Guy.

This ain't no rodeo, bro-dad!

Oh, and Family Guy had no decline. It was always a sewage tank of creativity.

Yeah, but that's the problem. This show is incredibly well-written, better than the two shows you mentioned, but the humor is so grounded that you wonder why it's even an animated show to begin with. I give them credit for trying to do something different, but ultimately it doesn't work.

I assume it's animated because that's how they wanted to make the show and it probably kept a low budget. I don't see any real need to restrict what type of way you can and can't tackle animation, anymore than I do for any other mediums

I assume it's animated because that's how they wanted to make the show and it probably kept a low budget. I don't see any real need to restrict what type of way you can and can't tackle animation, anymore than I do for any other mediums

Animation is a slow process. You can produce 22 episodes of a live-action show in a year but need atleast 2 years for animation. So, a lot of time and effort went into a show that ultimately did nothing special.

My assumption was that it was animated so Bobby could stay young for the length of the series. Grown-up Bobby would seem kind of... Sad.

I like the episode where we meet Bug Gribble, Dale's dad. It gave me what might be my favorite Hank moment.

"Are you gay?"
"What?! No! I sell propane!"

It's hard to describe why I love the show so much but it's the small moments like this. Like when Hank sees a sign that reads birth place of Bill Clinton and he locks his doors or when he tries to reassure everyone with the fact that he is assitant manger of Strickland Propane.

I wish they hadn't retconned Hank's boyhood love of propane. I think it works better for his admiration of the gas if his childhood fantasy was to sell propane and propane accessories as long as his grades were good.

My assumption was that it was animated so Bobby could stay young for the length of the series. Grown-up Bobby would seem kind of... Sad.

But so funny if he ended up like Bill

"Your wife divorced you"

:(

I liked that episode where Hank got addicted to that GTA like propane game.

I like to think Bobby eventually mellows out a bit and becomes more like Hank. Gets a job workin' for the city or something nice like that.

It limped along over the last 4/5 seasons, but there was some great stuff in the time preceding. I got around to watching the last four (syndicated) episodes. Nothing special, but still enjoyable.

I loved the dynamic of the guys and how they play off each other.

A good Kahn quip would have me rolling.
(Upon seeing Dale, Bill and Boomhauer with a cart full of groceries) Why buying so much food, hillbillies? Food stamps expire today?
Three women can't fill one position. This school board seat, not spot in Boomhauer's hot tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"