Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard?

Them being lazy? they already have the whole Batman theme written but they chose not to include for the reasons they stated that he hasn´t earned it yet, Tim Burton´s Batman had Bruce already being experienced as Batman so he had his whole theme but BB shows the beginning of Bruce becoming Batman so why wouldn´t it make sense for him not to have earned his theme yet when he is just starting out

Just for arguments sake..

In the first Batman film.. Bruce had only been Batman for a few weeks as well.

So i don't really see a difference there.

I thought the Begins theme was cool, but the '89 theme was classic. Elfman is second only to Williams.

Elfman's is simply iconic and I get amazed by how much of a character in itself his score is in both films. He really captured the atmosphere sonically an amazing feat. I liked the BB score too but it didn't engross me in it's film as much as Elfman's did.

Elfman's theme is more memorable, but Hans Zimmer's was perfect for that subdued, grounded, and realistic feel of Begins. Elfman's was perfect for B89, but Zimmer's was more suitable for Begins (mysterious, quiet, undistracting).

From what I know about the film industry, no sequel is guaranteed until the first movie makes some money. The only time that works is when the sequel is filmed at the same exact time, i.e. Lord of the Rings.

Transformers already has two sequels planned and the first film hasn´t even come out yet

for me the batman begins soundtrack amounts to the first 39 secs of elfmsn decent into mystery. building up and building up for the emergence of batman as gothams guardian in the dark knight.

the dark knight should equate to the rest of decent into mystery.

for me though, elfman is the best.

hans zimmer should not be allowed near the sequel. if it was not for james newton howards input into the begins soundtrack, it would be near impossible to listen too.

Apples and oranges. But I personally prefer apples.

Danny Elfman is apples.

I knew I should have put "Don't Have A Preference" as one of the options...

Can't believe it took Zimmer AND Howard to come up with the two-note theme tune in Begins. What, did they come up with one note each?

I hate to be a tweener but they both worked perfectly with the movies' respective moods.....and for that matter Eliot Goldenthal was the Best Thing going for Batman Forever, sans Val Kilmer.

Batman Begins theme is some of Hans Zimmer's less memorable work. The Last Samurai had a superior theme. Ultimately, none of that sticks with me like Elfman's compositions.

I love Hans Zimmer's work and prefer it to Elfman's which I also think is amazing.

Problem with Zimmer is, he has no creative or unique style of his own, if you heard one of his scores not knowing who it belonged to, your more than likely to have no idea who its by. However with Elfman you can always tell its his, and no its not because all his work sounds the same, its because he has a great style that stands out. Much like John Williams.

Problem with Zimmer is, he has no creative or unique style of his own, if you heard one of his scores not knowing who it belonged to, your more than likely to have no idea who its by. However with Elfman you can always tell its his, and no its not because all his work sounds the same, its because he has a great style that stands out. Much like John Williams.
I strongly disagree. I find that while Elfman is a fanastic composer the quirkyness at times can be very overbaring especially in the movies that he's done with Burton. That's my main criticism with Elfman. As for Zimmer I love just about everything Ive heard of his and he never takes you out of the movie with his music. His music just enhances whats going on visually.

I strongly disagree. I find that while Elfman is a fanastic composer the quirkyness at times can be very overbaring especially in the movies that he's done with Burton. That's my main criticism with Elfman. As for Zimmer I love just about everything Ive heard of his and he never takes you out of the movie with his music. His music just enhances whats going on visually.

Please explain in more detail why you believe Elfman's score is overbearing. The Batman theme he did for Batman (1989) was classic. The feel of the movie and the music completed one another flawlessly!

I really do think its impossible to capture the essance of Batman more than Elfman did with his theme.

Elfman score was an opera, with multiple themes interacting and evolving. It was as integral to the story as any other element in the movies, and gave insight into the characters.

Disagree 100%. I've always gone back & forth b/w Zimmer and Elfman. They are both the best (LOL, behind John Williams that is), and easily identifiable. Of course Elfman has a unique style that is easily recognizable, but that's also his biggest weakness. You ALWAYS feel like you're watching a Tim Burton movie, and Spider-Man was almost TOO similar to Batman 89'.

Hans Zimmer, on the other hand, has a "sweeping epic" style of composition, and because of that he can mold his music into each movie's theme. But he's also able to do Action Movies, which edges him ahead of Elfman in terms of versatility. He used to score John Woo films like "Broken Arrow" and "Face-Off". I also noticed when I was watching a "Hans Zimmer" movie. :up:

If you have to search that hard for a theme, it's obviously not that great.

thats what ive been saying all along. there is no batman theme in begins, just a bunch of sound effects/wingflapping sounds. lame. i liked zimmers work on POTC films, but not for batman.

elfman did a masterpiece of a score, especially for his Returns score. so powerful, so deep, themes for every major charater, good action music for both films. elfmans catwoman theme, with the high pitched violins, haunting. pure genious.

zimmer? WAAHHHHHHH....WAPAPAPAPAPAPAapapapa.....* whatever that stupid noise was that he did. too electronic and not at all original or deep.

Versatility? Sorry but with all respect... No way in hell can Zimmer be considered more unique or more versitile than Elfman, and i also disagree that Spiderman was like Batman. Imo Spiderman was one of the harder films to identify as an Elfman score, especially main theme wise. However this is probably because he was always having disputes with Raimi. As for John Williams, he is the best at main themes but not at other scenes were the films main character's theme isnt playing. Also the Superman themes middle section is very much like Star wars's middle section. Both great themes though none the less.

Pop Indiana Jones into your VCR and tell me the middle sections aren't as strong as the theme!

Watch Schindler's List and tell me the music doesn't add to the horrendous reality of the film's center.....for FOUR hours straight.

I never said he wasn't good, I just said he wasnt the best.

Am I the only one who liked the score for BF and B&R?

Not saying it's the best but I thought it wasn't bad.

I like the BF score alot actually, the theme was great too, obviously it wont be well remembered but it was creavite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"