Dark City

Kevin Roegele said:
Just seen this hugely influential sci-fi mindjob for the first time, and whoa....what a film. After seeing it, The Matrix is atleast 20% less impressive. I thought I knew a lot about the influences of the Wachowski movie, but Dark City is clearly number one now.

Alex Proyas is surely the man to take over the Batman franchise when Nolan eventually leaves.

I love Dark City (I was lucky enough to see it in the theater). However, the whole The Matrix borrowed from Dark City is nonsense as the script for The Matrix was around LONG before Dark City went into porduction (BTW, I don't know if you are stating this or not, but there have been about a dozen threads over the years stating as such and it just isn't true - The script for The Matrix was written even before Bound was made and Bound served as the Wachowski's "proving ground" that they should be allowed to make The Matrix).

Wow.
I've just seen this film called Dark City. It is such an amazing film, in my opinion. Alex Proyas helped to write this film, and directed it very, very well. The atmosphere is somewhere of a mix between noir, neo-noir, and some kind of idealism. I love the look of the film. Even though some of the sets look kinda fake, but other all look to the city resembles the future had it taken place in the 1930's period. Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly, and William Hurt are amazing in this movie, with Kiefer Sutherland stealing the show. Mr. Hand (Richard O'Brien) and the "strangers" were great and scary villains. Trever Jones created an incredible score for this film, especially the action score that we've heard in about 198709 different trailers.

I don't think that many people have seen it, or even know what it is. I don't think it has cult status, but I wish it did. This movie may be an acquired taste for some, but for me, it blew me away.

Rating:

3 1/2 out of 4 stars

Darkcityposter.jpg

:up:

No the film does have a cult status. I really enjoyed the movie. Never seen that poster before though its really awesome.

Oh it does?
That's really good. :up:

I knew that there was a reason why I stayed home today.
I caught it on CW, and they usually show really crappy movies on Saturdays, I think.

Oh it does?
That's really good. :up:

I knew that there was a reason why I stayed home today.
I caught it on CW, and they usually show really crappy movies on Saturdays, I think.
Dang I didn't know it came on today. Crap. I would have watched it. Oh and yeah it has a pretty big cult staus. People always compare it to the matrix.

Never seen more than a few seconds of this movie, but it *seem* like one of the few Rufus Sewell flicks in which he isn't playing a character in mid-century times.

I prefer The Truman Show.

Same concept without the goth and aliens.

I prefer The Truman Show.

Same concept without the goth and aliens.

Blind Fury... I like you but that was a stupid post since it's obviously a homage to Noir right down to costumes, not goth :cmad:

Anyway I haven't rewatch this film in a while, I'm waiting for the suppose Director's Cut which is suppose to be coming out anyday now.

It was a really good movie. The problem was that New Line did hardly nothing as far as promotion. It also suffered from the steamroller that was Titanic.

i loved how creepy and intense that movie was. I kind of wish there had been no redemption at the end, but thats just an odd tick I have. I'm sick of happy endings.
still sweet movie

One of my favorites, though I'd love for a director's cut where the clunky intro by Sutherland's character is cut out.

The comment that Truman Show deals with the same concept also doesn't seem too accurate in my mind.
Dark City's most apparent theme is on the nature of the human "soul/heart", and specifically if we are accurately defined by our memories. This is not something ever touched upon by the Truman Show. Truman Show (beyond the obvious gnostic parallels) seems to deal with commentary on reality shows as its most apparent topic, while this never comes up at all in Dark City.

One of my favorites, though I'd love for a director's cut where the clunky intro by Sutherland's character is cut out.

The comment that Truman Show deals with the same concept also doesn't seem too accurate in my mind.
Dark City's most apparent theme is on the nature of the human "soul/heart", and specifically if we are accurately defined by our memories. This is not something ever touched upon by the Truman Show. Truman Show (beyond the obvious gnostic parallels) seems to deal with commentary on reality shows as its most apparent topic, while this never comes up at all in Dark City.

These movies primarily serve as gnosticism allegories.

Take that allegory away and there's not much left.

They focus primarily on gnosticism where Memento focuses on the "our memories define us" concept and explores it fully.

Are you saying Dark City does not explore the question of what part memory has in defining a person?
As far as I can see it's a pretty damned up front theme, and what drives the story forward. Meanwhile, while Memento clearly discusses memory and the nature of how memory works, I cannot for the life of me see how it discusses the particular subject of to what extent our memories our identity.

the action sequence at the end didnt make sense

LOL living under a rock? Or maybe you are just a youngster :) Bout time you saw Dark City :D

one weird ash movie, but still it had Sutherland!

so it gets good marks in my book.

Dark City is a good movie, but where the heck's the director's cut?

wow people are only just discovering this movie now? well better late than never I guess. The film reminded me more of the first Matrix movie than the Trueman Show. The Strangers remind me of the agents.

Couple of Facts you might want to know-

David Goyer of Blade and Batman Begins fame was one of the writers of Dark City and you can definetly feel some of the influence in Batman Begins.

Both Dark City and Matrix where filmed in Fox Studios Sydney and the matrix used some of the sets leftover from Dark City. both Matrix and Dark City concern artificial memories and habitats, and both are patrolled by faceless superpowered beings challenged when a human develops comparable powers.

I got Dark City on DVD a couple years ago now after I heard it suggested on here (and had success with past suggestions such as Donnie Darko and Equilibrium) and it's a really cool film. Rufus Sewell for No.6 if Nolan gets The Prisoner underway.

I saw Dark City when I was in college. I heard nothing about it, and I went with some friends to see it. Great film.

But I don't own a copy yet. Simply because I keep seeing other films I want. And since it's 6 or 7 bucks at Blockbuster brand new, I can pick up quick like if I want.

Dark City is one of my favorites. It's a weird, but special film :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"