Dark Souls II

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
Dark Souls II was announced tonight at the Spike VGAs. No platforms, or any information really, has been revealed. I was going to post the trailer, but it appears none of the VGA stuff is online yet. For now, while I wait for the trailer, I'll ask a question; What do you want out of Dark Souls II? What would you like to see improved or changed?

Praise the sun.

Man now I may go back and put in Dark Souls. Thinking about that earlier today, someone asked me which I preferred Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. I did think Dark Souls was much better.

They're pretty even for me. Demon's Souls did some things much better than Dark Souls and vice versa.

I'm surprised they are calling it Dark Souls II, figured they'd go with "Insert Name Here Souls". Either way I felt both games were the two most overrated titles to ever hit the industry, yet here I am, intrigued by the news of another one.

Dark Souls, Borderlands, and Burnout Paradise are my top 3 games this generation.

I hope they fix up a lot of the issues and make another incredible world to explore. :woot:

I'm surprised they are calling it Dark Souls II, figured they'd go with "Insert Name Here Souls". Either way I felt both games were the two most overrated titles to ever hit the industry, yet here I am, intrigued by the news of another one.

The reason Dark Souls exist is because they didn't own the right to Demon Souls, Sony does. They wanted to start a franchise they themselves own and can make multi-platform.

Might have a real plot. Pretty crazy and that trailer was awesome.

Last edited:
I still haven't played my copy of the first...should really get on that before this one comes out.

jbuL8FFasr59Ei.jpg

An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

Dark-Souls-II-01.jpg

Anyone who thinks a Souls game is overrated just... is doing it wrong.

Anyways, I've always liked Dark Souls more than Demon's Souls. I remember when I went to a press event to see Dark Souls for the first time they showed me the bonfire mechanic and it had me really worried that the game was going to be much easier, but it turned into the most fantastic addition to the game.

It really helped the pacing to have a consistent sanctuary that you could go back to and the idea that if you've pushed so far into unknown territory, the hope that a bonfire was round the next corner was enough to spur you on even when you were near death.

“[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

Oh Christ. Don't say that :(

The trailer hinted at it. Will have to see how it works.

Yeah, story-wise the trailer seemed to hint that the plot will be much more direct. I just hope they don't manage to spoil the atmosphere of it all. But I won't judge until we all see it.

“[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

Oh Christ. Don't say that :(

That isn't really what I want to hear either, but I'm pretty sure they tossed around "accessible" a few times when promoting the first Dark Souls, and that game turned out fine.

I hope so. It's a word that causes instant black lash, so I try to give games that use it a chance before writing them off, but that process doesn't have the best track record.

First details from Edge Magazine:

• Development started last September.
  • Team is twice the size of the first game.
  • The release date might slip past 2013.
  • Graphically it looks as good as Star Wars 1313.
  • It will have an open world as big as the first game, with more content.
  • The action in the game will be "enhanced".
  • Some sort of morality system will be present.
  • The story and game systems like the Covenants will be less subtle.
  • There will still be "hidden" story elements and areas.

Some concept art from the official Japanese site:

ds2-image-15.jpg

ds2-image-16.jpg

ds2-image-17.jpg

ds2-image-18.jpg

ds2-image-19.jpg

ds2-image-20.jpg

ds2-image-21.jpg

ds2-image-22.jpg

ds2-image-23.jpg

ds2-image-24.jpg

Last edited:
Continued:

ds2-image-25.jpg

ds2-image-26.jpg

ds2-image-27.jpg

Last edited:
IGN is going to have a world premier gameplay trailer tomorrow.

I don't know how much of it I'm going to take in. I loved Demon's Souls so much that when I heard about Dark Souls it was just 'Yep, I'm in' and I ignored stuff about it until it got here (apart from a short playtest during my IGN internship).

I'm mostly just curious to have a few questions answered. Such as, is this a current gen, cross gen, or next gen game? Is it really being dumbed down, and if so how much?

Yeah it'd be nice to put some of the fears to rest I guess. I really hope it hits PS4.

I still like to use the phrase you used when the game was revealed about the whole thing. It 'breaks my brain' that it even exists. A direct sequel is the last thing I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"