David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write and Produce New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Stand-Alone Movies' started by NotNickFury, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

They may have only renewed her contract for three years to prevent her from speaking out against the company while saving face from bad PR. It was undoubtedly her camp that leaked that to The Hollywood Reporter because Disney never had anything to say about it. Meanwhile her hires like 'Story Group' head Kiri Hart and Benioff and Weiss and likely Rian Johnson are on the outs and Disney executive Alan Horn appointed fellow company executive Kevin Feige to the next Star Wars project perhaps because they're all tired of the nonsense. Disney chief Robert Iger in his new book said Kennedy was an inherited hire from George Lucas, that she wasn't their idea to run Lucasfilm.

2. Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

that's the thing, you have to have the passion for it. feige grew up having the same nerd discussions about comic books, star wars, the lore, characters, etc with his friends we are having right now. he probably had debates with his friends if prime obi-wan could beat luke or if the a-wing was better than the x-wing. it was a hobby for him as well as work for him now. i mean the dude had every phase 2 mcu movie have a character get delimbed just because of empire strikes back lol

kennedy inherited the job, and is a good producer, but it's not the natural passion/growing up with it as a kid that is there, which is why her mistakes are a result of not being able to see the forest from the trees. not having jj/rian/colin on the same page, not having the trilogy planned out from the beginning, the other issues with gareth/lord&miller, etc. d&d being hired to begin with/then leaving. there's just too many mistakes that add up and tip the scales in the other direction.

it starts at the top and the one constant denominator is kennedy. curious to see what happens to the box office of IX and especially what the drop-off will be 2nd weekend

3. spider-neil spins a web any size!

So they rushed the ending of Season 8 for Star Wars and are no longer attached to Star Wars.

Elayis, Lencho01 and Erik20 like this.
  4. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Fairly certain they weren't given as much money for their trilogy as Netflix gave them. I don't see what is hard to see in them being mercenary enough to jump ship because of money.

I think Feige has colored people's views of what a studio head and producer should be. Kennedy's vision of giving more creative control to the directors is a good thing, rather than the "house style" of Marvel. It is just riskier.

Elayis, Lencho01 and BatLobsterRises like this.
  5. Orba Registered

I think atm Lucasfilm are trying to figure things out, they had planned a bunch of film but now they are pulling back on their plans, looking at options like switching films over to TV series. As for RJ its hard to say if he will fit into their new plans but he does have the benefit of "Knives Out" coming out soon to rave reviews. He also seems to have gotten on with the Lucasfilm team during the production of TLJ, he moved so that he could work on the film with the Lucasfilm team and the Star Wars story group unlike JJ who used Bad Robot for everything, it might help. One thing that might be interesting is if he was to be asked to do an episode of the second season of The Mandalorian now he is more available.

BatLobsterRises likes this.
  6. BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I still blame Iger and the ridiculous release schedule for a lot of the behind the scenes messiness more so than I do Kennedy. That's not to say that Kennedy hasn't made mistakes, but she had a boss to answer to. A boss who mandated that they essentially double the amount of Star Wars movies in existence in a very short period of time. Even at the time of the announcement, I was really concerned about that. I think figuring out how to transition from Star Wars being this one thing, from one guy's head that it had been for close to 40 years, to figuring out a way to continue a story that had already had a great ending while simultaneously attempting to turn it into a modern MCU-like franchise all within a couple of years of the Disney purchase was absolutely INSANE, and setting anyone up for some bumps in the road. And let's not act like even Fiege has a flawless track record. I will take Solo over Thor: The Dark World or Iron Man 2 any day, and I'm not a big fan of Solo.

But Kennedy also doesn't get enough credit for things like putting Filoni with Favreau for the Mandalorian, for developing the Obi-Wan spin-off Two are big things that the fans have been wanting.

I'm not even saying I want her to stay long term, I think fresh leadership will be good as Star Wars enters a new era. I just think the hate-on people have for her gets blown way out of proportion, and in some cases is downright disgusting (people calling her prolific career a fluke).

Elayis likes this.
  7. Frodo Registered

I don't buy the explanation that they are just "too busy" and that they somehow just realized that they couldn't do both at once.

I believe that money did play a factor to be sure , but there's clearly more to the story than just money or being in high demand.

The, " too busy" explanation reminds me a bit of Sony's explanation for Feige being unable to work on Spiderman 3.

I've been following this kind of stuff too long to really buy the explanation from both parties on this one.

8. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

They are *******s who are high on their own supply. The Netflix $$$ certainly didn't help.

9. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Wait, it's cancelled? Good news! But they had nothing to do with that.

Thank christ. GOT can now finally be gone from my life except the books and I don't have to hear people constantly talk and obsess about something so mediocre.

10. Erik20 Registered

Yeah that's the worst part, they rushed Game of Thrones for nothing now....

11. Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

there is a "house style" at marvel but feige does give his more talented directors creative freedom. there is a difference between taika, gunn, russos, and coogler's pictures. the problem is kennedy's selection of directors were a misfire. and it is a producer/studio's head job to make sure everybody is on the same page, especially in a directly connected trilogy, and in that regards it was a failure. the "house style" of star wars has been george for 6 movies as well, so i'm ok with a tighter more cohesive trilogy at the expense of some directors creativity. for example, rian taking the emotional climax of TFA with the first appearance of luke skywalker in 35 years as a joke to throw away the lightsaber mcguffin of the entire first movie

12. Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

i will still take thor 2/im2 over solo any day of the week. solo was a needless vanity project from the kasdans that should never have been made and especially not past the 70s without a young harrison ford. feige's "misses" still aren't as bad as the misses in the ST. it's just that his highs are much higher, IW/EG were unheralded, even TFA didn't come close to what they accomplished. it gave fans what they wanted and still did it in a satisfying way that was blatant pandering and subverting expectations

right from the get go jj being selected was so safe and uninspired. there was a lot of hype on rian's selection but they screwed the pooch hard on that one lol. the ST just hasn't delivered on an emotional level connection with the audience. rewrites/shoots have completely changed things for the worse.

13. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I love Solo. I find it to be a good movie. So there is not a timeline where I'd ever take truly crappy films over it, and that is what Dark World and Iron Man 2 are imo.

If TFA didn't deliver on an emotional level you will have to explain it's ridiculous legs (much better domestically then either infinity War or Endgame), and the fact that TLJ, when it opened, ended up being the second biggest opening of all time at that time.

Snow Queen likes this.
  14. DJD1983 Registered

That opening weekend was followed by one of the biggest 2nd weekend drops of all time & terrible legs after that. Don't forget that it was Jumanji that kept beating it by TLJ's 3rd weekend on a week by week basics & TLJ had terrible legs after its first two weeks & it never picked up steam again. Are you ON PURPOSE not mentioning what happened after the first week or two after enough people saw TLJ ?

15. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Yes, because people didn't like TLJ. I know. The issue there is TLJ, not TFA. TFA set it up very well for TLJ, which is why it opened so massively. At what point was I singing the praises of TLJ? It was clearly a comment on how TFA clearly connected to audiences on an emotional level, with it's massive legs and setting up Rogue One and TLJ very nicely.

Snow Queen likes this.
  16. DJD1983 Registered

Well you brought up TLJ having a good opening weekend which it did. But its just as important explaining what happened after the first two weeks because most people would rather ignore those facts. As for TFA that can clearly be explained by nostalgia winning the day & the promise of the return of Luke Skywalker at the end of the movie. TFA will never happen again for any franchise

17. DJD1983 Registered

I blame JJA & LucasFilm as much as I blame Rian Johnson for the current state Star Wars is in. Because first of all when your making the long waited continuation of Return Of The Jedi. You have all of the leads at the time alive & well & willing to return minus Harrison as he always wanted Han to die. The fact that the first movie back did not focus on the OGs & pass the torch the correct way with the OGs meeting the new characters first this is on JJA & Kathleen Kennedy. TFA will now not age well for those that dont like how things turned out after TLJ

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Are you having a reading comprehension issue? The argument was TFA did not deliver on an emotional level. That is clearly bunk, because TFA had legs for days after what at that time was the biggest opening ever domestically. In comparison, Endgame opened 110m more domestically. TFA's final total is like 80m more. That is almost a 200m swing in terms of opening weekends. That's not simple nostalgia, that's satisfaction.

If that left any doubt, TLJ open massively as well, on the back of the good will of TFA. I know, I lived it.

19. DJD1983 Registered

Its BOTH as do people get hyped about the sequel / wanting to see that scene again with Luke without that ending with Luke ?

20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I have no idea what you mean here. But if you are saying people were excited by the sequel do to the end of TFA, that is a good thing and once again shows what JJ pulled off.

21. DJD1983 Registered

Is Episode 9 gonna rip off the ending of Van Helsing & we see Han Solo's head in the sky for whatever reason ?

22. DJD1983 Registered

& part of the ending is NOSTALGIA of seeing Luke again. The whole movie was essentially about Luke again NOSTALGIA

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

You wanted a movie where the three main leaders were the OT group, but are now crying that because they put Luke at the end of the movie, it was all nostalgia? Okay. :funny:

24. DJD1983 Registered

Im simply saying what should have happened VS what we got. What we did get played a huge part

25. DJD1983 Registered

DeepFake Leia & Han OUT OF TFA & re cast them & see how interested people are in TFA if it was almost entirely new characters unheard of

Seeing Leia, Han & Chewie these played BIG PARTS