Krypton David Goyer Attached to "Krypton"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syfy has earned my trust back. There is potential in this. Krypton in an intergalactic society is interesting, imo.

But, then this is Goyer's Krypton. So, I doubt he would understand the potential of a high concept scifi prequel.

am I the least bit interested in the past history of Krypton?... uh... no...

I smell fail...

I see exactly where you're coming from. There's only a few things restricted to Kyrpton and its colonies I'd be fascinated to see; stuff like the founding, and eventual breakaway with, Daxam, Kem-L, the xenophobic ancestor of Superman who probably fits perfectly as the originator of the artificial birth control, and a few Phantom Zone criminal appearances.

However, if they sued this as an oppurtunity to explore the cosmic history of the DCEU....

Imagine having a season arc centering on Manhunters from Oa getting involved with Kryptonian politics, or skirmishes and eventual war with Apokilips, or a Kryptonian Civil War across the the stars that sees Daxam seperated from its progenitors, the creation of Brainiac and Doomsday, etc.

You could get a lot further if you decide dot embrace Krypton as a time-travel-less version of Gallifrey with warts and all.

Once upon a time Goyer was good; now..not so much. :(

Think this show has a lot of potential, surprised it's taken then this long to do it. Will be nice to see things like The Eradicator, Brainiac or even Doomsday being created.

‘Krypton’: Georgina Campbell Cast As Female Lead In Syfy Superman Prequel
georgina-campbell-photo-credit-by-pip.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: British actress Georgina Campbell (After Hours) has landed the female lead of Lyta Zod in Krypton, Syfy’s Superman prequel pilot from David S. Goyer and Warner Horizon Television.

Based on the DC Comics characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. It follows Superman’s grandfather Seg-El — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

Campbell’s Lyta Zod is a member of Krypton’s military caste and the daughter of a general, Alura Zod. Lyta Zod serves as a cadet — and has also been having a clandestine, forbidden romance with Seg-El (not cast yet).

This marks the U.S. TV debut for Campbell who won the BAFTA Television Award for Leading Actress in 2015 for Murdered by My Boyfriend. She can soon be seen in the upcoming third season of Broadchurch as well as the feature King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, directed by Guy Ritchie. Campbell is repped by Independent Talent.

David S. Goyer and showrunner Damian Kindler executive produce Krypton for WBTV and Goyer’s Phantom Four. Colm McCarthy serves as co-executive producer and will direct the pilot from a story and teleplay by Goyer & Ian Goldberg. The pilot will be filmed in Serbia.
http://deadline.com/2016/09/krypton...female-lead-syfy-superman-prequel-1201812873/

Why are people hating on this show before the pilot's even made? ****ing morons. The first 20 minutes of Man of Steel was the Krypton I had ALWAYS wanted to see come to life.

I hope the production value is high enough to at least match the MoS prologue. And that the props and sets or at least their aesthetic is reused for the show.

Why are people hating on this show before the pilot's even made? ****ing morons. The first 20 minutes of Man of Steel was the Krypton I had ALWAYS wanted to see come to life.

Obviously, it’s to do with Goyer. But in their zeal to blast him, some naysayers get overly excited and start to critique the basic Krypton backstory concept - which would, ordinarily, drive most True Fans™ to orgasmic delight. :word:

I am looking forward to this and really hoping it works.

I hope the production value is high enough to at least match the MoS prologue. And that the props and sets or at least their aesthetic is reused for the show.

I hope so too.

Is it going to be using the same Krypton designs and aesthetic as the one in MOS?

I wish they wouldnt pull the cliche Starcrossed lovers with a Zod/El.

‘Krypton’: Cameron Cuffe Cast As the Lead Seg-El In Syfy Superman Prequel
cameron-cuffe.jpg

Just like Christopher Reeve and Tom Welling were unknown young newcomers when they were cast to play Superman on the big and small screens, Syfy’s Superman prequel Krypton has cast an unknown young actor, Cameron Cuffe, for the lead, Superman’s grandfather. Warner Horizon, whose broadcast parent Warner Bros. TV cast Welling in Smallville, is the studio.Based on the DC Comics characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Krypton, which has a pilot order, is set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. It follows Superman’s grandfather Seg-El (Cuffe) — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

Destined to be the ancestor of Jor-El (future father of Superman) and Kal-El (the future Superman), Seg-El is the scion of the once prosperous El family and is blessed with an intuitive brilliance for all things technical; he is now living in Krypton’s lowest caste after his family was stripped of its rank.

Cuffe joins young British actress Georgina Campbell who was cast in the pilot as the female lead of Lyta Zod.

The London-born Cuffe is a graduate of The Lir Academy in Dublin, Ireland. He has done several stage productions and appeared in the Stephen Frears–directed feature Florence Foster Jenkins. He also recurs on the upcoming ITV drama The Halcyon. Cuffe is repped by Gersh, Untitled Entertainment and The Artists Partnership.

David S. Goyer and showrunner Damian Kindler executive produce Krypton for Warner Horison and Goyer’s Phantom Four. Colm McCarthy serves as co-executive producer and will direct the pilot from a story and teleplay by Goyer & Ian Goldberg. The pilot will be filmed in Serbia.
http://deadline.com/2016/10/krypton...eg-el-syfy-superman-prequel-pilot-1201830077/

Good to see this picking up pace, will be keeping an eye on this one.

The first 20 minutes of Man of Steel was the Krypton I had ALWAYS wanted to see come to life.

Personally I thought the 90s Superman animated series had a better take on Krypton(although it didn't come to "life" I guess). I guess my main beef with MOS was you think of Krypton to be some advanced futuristic world, and the flying dragons(or whatever the hell they were) was to much Lord of the Rings for my tastes

Last edited:
Personally I thought the 90s Superman animated series had a better take on Krypton(although it didn't come to "life" I guess). I guess my main beef with MOS was you think of Krypton to be some advanced futuristic world, and the flying dragons(or whatever the hell they were) was to much Lord of the Rings for my tastes

Even a technologically advanced world will have wildlife. You think it's too fantastical that flying lizards could have evolved on a planet? Planet earth had these at one time:

leteci-leti-dinosaurus-Fliying_dinosaurs-Pterosaur-Quetzalcoatlus13.jpg

pterosaur_poster.jpg

Is the animals on Krypton really any more fantastical than a pterosaur?

Even a technologically advanced world will have wildlife. You think it's too fantastical that flying lizards could have evolved on a planet? Planet earth had these at one time:

leteci-leti-dinosaurus-Fliying_dinosaurs-Pterosaur-Quetzalcoatlus13.jpg

pterosaur_poster.jpg

Probably a coincidence, but in an episode of Supergirl she is put into a dream world by Black Mercy and dreams she is still living on Krypton as an adult. In one scene it shows a sculpture she made as a child for
Zor-El which looks just like pterosaur. So maybe dragons style creatures really did live on Krypton, in that in two unrelated live media they are shown.

Technically Pedantically they were reptiles, not lizards (lizards are reptiles with overlapping scales) but the point is still valid. As is the fact we still have flying animals in our modern world. It is no more ridiculous than their world having flying reptiles.

Whether this series will turn out to be valid however... I'm still not sure why they feel the need to explore Superman's grandparents history. Maybe something good will come out of it but to me it just feels like a desperate cash in on the Superman mythos without Superman in it.

Technically Pedantically they were reptiles, not lizards (lizards are reptiles with overlapping scales) but the point is still valid. As is the fact we still have flying animals in our modern world. It is no more ridiculous than their world having flying reptiles.

In the history of the earth four different groups of animals evolved flight, insects, pterosaurs, birds, and bats. Plus there are gliding animals such as fish, squirrels, and snakes which in the right environment could evolve into flying animals.
So to have flying animals on Krypton would be highly likely.

Whether this series will turn out to be valid however... I'm still not sure why they feel the need to explore Superman's grandparents history. Maybe something good will come out of it but to me it just feels like a desperate cash in on the Superman mythos without Superman in it.
And now that we are getting a live action Superman on TV as well as his female counterpart it makes Krypton seem all the more redundant.

The non-narrative point of the series, I believe, is to follow Marvel's example by expanding the DCEU beyond just film.

Narratively, doing a series like this lets them flesh out the internal universe of the DCEU and build its mythology in a way that they couldn't do otherwise and build on some of the concepts they created for Man of Steel.

You would think a planet that has the ability to create a spaceship that can travel from one planet to another within a few years would be above using animals as the main method of travel. What we saw in MOS was like me deciding to ride a horse to work when I live in a city(just because something exists doesn't make it a logical choice basically)

‘Krypton’: Ian McElhinney & Elliot Cowan Among Six Cast In Syfy Pilot:

http://deadline.com/2016/10/krypton-ian-mcelhinney-elliot-cowan-six-cast-syfy-pilot-1201834262/

Syfy has rounded out the series regular cast for its Superman prequel pilot Krypton. Game of Thrones’ Ian McElhinney, Da Vinci’s Demons alum Elliot Cowan, Ann Ogbomo (World War Z), Rasmus Hardiker (Your Highness), Wallis Day (The Royals) and Aaron Pierre (Tennison) have joined the cast alongside leads Cameron Cuffe as Seg-El) and Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod).

You would think a planet that has the ability to create a spaceship that can travel from one planet to another within a few years would be above using animals as the main method of travel. What we saw in MOS was like me deciding to ride a horse to work when I live in a city(just because something exists doesn't make it a logical choice basically)

You do realize most people we saw were using technology to fly around, Jor-El just happened to prefer flying around on a badass space dragon, and I am sure it would be easy for him to procure seeing as he was a high ranking scientist so he could create one in a lab or just tame one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"