Sequels David Goyer to Direct Magneto!

Bad bad choice for director. I really didn't have much confidence that this film was necessary to begin with, but with a director like this, it's surely to fail and not be necessary.

First 'Zig Zag', then 'Blade:Trinit'y and now this. Giving this guy the directors hat in the equivalent of giving a toddler a loaded gun... :down:

I don't like Goyer as a director but he is a very good script writer, at least, he did a great job with Batman Begins.

Talk about landing on your feet. He gets booted off Flash and ends up with a better project. If the Magneto script is as good as everyone says, he'll do fine.

Agreed! Give the man a chance peeps! :whatever:

Thank God! For a while I thought they were gonna get Uwe Boll to direct it!

Goyer:

Writer:
icon14.gif

Director:
icon13.gif

I want to like Goyer but I'm gun shy. Blade three was an excersise in lazy, uninspired film making. It was as if someone grabbed a book on the most cliched moments in cinematic history and he did them - all of them. The film showed no personality or visual sense whatsoever. And mind you, I actually enjoyed Blade 1 and 2.

BUT, he did pen Dark City which I have always like, he also supposedly penned a GR script that made the current movie seem like a ride at Disney, and of course he helped craft my all time favourite comic book movie, Batman Begins. So there's hope, just not much of it.

My hopes for this film were thoroughly dashed with this announcement. Goyer is a solid writer, but a hack director.

Well, Goyer as director of Magneto is very very very bad choice. He's a big comic book fan, solid writer and VERY BAD DIRECTOR. I wanted director from Europe. Magneto is European and it's (for me) very European story. Anyone like Jan Sverak (Kolya).

Well, Goyer as director of Magneto is very very very bad choice. He's a big comic book fan, solid writer and VERY BAD DIRECTOR. I wanted director from Europe. Magneto is European and it's (for me) very European story. Anyone like Jan Sverak (Kolya).

I agree, a european director would have been a good choice. I wonder who he's going to cast in this thing - casting is another weakness of his...

What a shame. This could have been the movie which would have made people (e.g. the Academy) and they've given to Mr Popcorn Flick

I wasn't really exited at the idea of a Magneto film, but would've been really excited if someone like Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men), or Bryan Singer took on the project. Not hating on Goyer, but his involvement makes me think this film will be more popcorn action than drama. Eh...I'll just wait for the results. Goyer may suprise us, and the script may be really good. :):up:

This sucks! This really sucks! I've lost total interest in this movie. This guy wrote a Batman script and now he's Mr. Christoper Nolan. No offence to Nolan (great director) but Goyer's Blade 3 stinks to high heaven. The Magneto movie will look like a several-million-dollar-music-video-with-MTV-looking-pop-tart-actors.

Yeah, I just don't know what to think about this. Goyer just seems like a really unexpected choice to me...

This is a moronic move for Fox. Goyer is a director you throw in for senseless monymakers. Which is fine, I guess, if you don't mind films like that, or recently had a lobotomy.

Magneto is more of a niche film. It's not going to be a money maker. It had the potential to be more of a prestige film, a character study. So they won't please either audience with this choice, and it won't do well financially.

A shame, really.

The thing is, if Goyer is willing to learn from his mistakes, this might not be half bad, but HE seems to think Blade : Trinity was a good movie, when it clearly wasnt.

I want to like Goyer but I'm gun shy. Blade three was an excersise in lazy, uninspired film making. It was as if someone grabbed a book on the most cliched moments in cinematic history and he did them - all of them. The film showed no personality or visual sense whatsoever. And mind you, I actually enjoyed Blade 1 and 2.

BUT, he did pen Dark City which I have always like, he also supposedly penned a GR script that made the current movie seem like a ride at Disney, and of course he helped craft my all time favourite comic book movie, Batman Begins. So there's hope, just not much of it.

I love Goyer as a writer. Batman Begins, the Blade movies (storywise) - all awesome but he just needs to have someone fine tune his work like Nolan did with BB, and Norrington and Guillermo did with Blades 1 and 2. Blade 3 he basically wrote then directed the damn movie with no fresh eyes to go over his script, and you saw the outcome.

Good writer. Bad director.

Eh, uh. They didn't see Blade: Trinity?

Reviews of his "The Invisible" remake doesn't build confidence. :csad:

As others have said, Goyer seriously f'd up Blade 3. Del Torro (Blade 2) and Norrington (Blade) were and are so much better than he apparently ever will be. Del Toro was the best. Even Goyer's skills as a writer are really exaggerated. He didn't reinvent Blade, he simply did what all hollyweird hacks should do and that's stay true to the essence of whichever Marvel character they're working on and take the project seriously. Plus they found the real Blade i.e. Wesley Snipes.
As far as him directing Magneto, all I have to say to Fox if they want this to make $$$, is get him a really good cinematographer, make sure he stays true to the script (if it really is that good), get him a really good editor and start looking for somebody else for part 2 (if there is a part 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"