Days of Future Past Days of Future Lounge

I always thought Wolverine and the X Men was brilliant. Wasn't too fond of Emma in it. No one's ever been able to get her right.

Actually I thought she was represented the best on WATX. They could have *****ed her up more but they got most of her characteristics down pretty solid. She came across intelligent, and untrustworthy. Awesome last ep with her.

Last edited:
completely unrelated to anything. but I was reading back through old posts and came across a user called rattlerbrat she seemed like a real b***h. it says she's banned now. how long did that take?

She sounds like "Gina" LOL

The other older posters can explain who that is.

I fell in love with Jubilee through the 90s show.

Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for Jubilee too. Not too fond of her being a vampire though, but at least she getting something in the comics.

I sort of like Pryde of the X-Men, despite Wolverine's ridiculous (though funny, considering Jackman...) Aussie-accent.

Just watched a couple minutes of it and you really weren't kidding about the Aussie accent. How on earth did they go from Canadian to Australian? They're polar opposite accents...

Also Prof X sounds a lot like Beast in TAS.

I grew up on TAS and adore it but I'd definitely pick Evolution as the best X-cartoon.

X-Men has been the only comic book which has had a constistant run of astoundingly good animations. I really hope they make one which ties in with Avengers Assemble.
To change the subject, anyone else here REALLY want a fight scene with Kitty and Emma in an upcoming film?
1215252-axmtorn_emma3001_super.jpg

Id LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT!!!!

:woot:

It would be a Straight from the comics moment.

fingers crossed! :hrt:

I doubt it will happen :( but to see something like that on screen would be brilliant.

Just watched a couple minutes of it and you really weren't kidding about the Aussie accent. How on earth did they go from Canadian to Australian? They're polar opposite accents...

I grew up on TAS and adore it but I'd definitely pick Evolution as the best X-cartoon.

Wasn't a fan of Evolution. The looks and personalities (plus some of the irritating voices) were such a departure from the comics and from TAS. I haven't revisited the series in a while but Scarlet Witch and Boom Boom come to mind. *ugh*

That said I like Wolverine and the X-men a bit more. And of course, TAS is ahead of the pack.

Have known about Pryde of the X-men and its huge inconsistencies with canon (Wolverine's Aussie accent, etc) but still have not seen that. But from your post seems like you're not a fan? :oldrazz: Should I bother dl'ing it?

Wasn't a fan of Evolution. The looks and personalities (plus some of the irritating voices) were such a departure from the comics and from TAS. I haven't revisited the series in a while but Scarlet Witch and Boom Boom come to mind. *ugh*

That said I like Wolverine and the X-men a bit more. And of course, TAS is ahead of the pack.

Have known about Pryde of the X-men and its huge inconsistencies with canon (Wolverine's Aussie accent, etc) but still have not seen that. But from your post seems like you're not a fan? :oldrazz: Should I bother dl'ing it?

Costume-wise they were generally uninspired in XE. But then I wasn't fond of most of the costumes in TAS (Jean Grey's was a particular pet peeve-- did they have to pick colors so close to her skintone??). I think WATX got it right in that department. But I found the actual LOOK of it really refreshing. It felt youthful and fresh and for a hand-animated North American production it was REALLY well animated. It completely blows out TAS and WATX in that department.

As for the voices... welllll... a couple of friends of mine played characters on the show so I'm a little biased but honestly the only one I'd have an issue with would be Kitty, who was like, ohmigod, no way, TOTALLY like, grating, like with her teenagerness ya know? But as a kid I downright haaated a few of the TAS voices. Jean always sounded like she'd just fainted, Storm seemed to "announce" everything, and Professor X just sounded downright peculiar.

I know XE doesn't follow the comics at all but as someone who's never properly followed X-Men comics that wasn't an issue for me. Though frankly I've never understood this desire and expectation people have of adaptations to be identical reproductions of the original source. If you want DOFP to go exactly as the comic, just read the comic? Not following everything verbatim leaves room for exciting surprises beyond "how are they going to design the costume". Take amc's WALKING DEAD, for instance. It still basically follows the comic but it's also quite clearly going its own way. I've read all the comics and I still have no idea what they're going to do each episode. It's exciting! I've never once been upset by changes they've made to the source.

When you follow everything verbatim you get The Hobbit. Told in 8 more hours than it needs. Which is cool if you're a fan I guess, but as entertainment to the general audience it's not ideal, and things need to be catered to the non-fans who vastly outnumber the hypercritical superfans.

And X-Men isn't one straightforward 200-page book, it's a dozen different titles all running simultaneously, with different and sometimes overlapping universes. What can possibly be considered "canon"? Are we looking at Ultimates or Uncanny? If Professor X gets killed by an Alien in Astonishing but then killed by Magneto in a separate 2-part story arc, which one is "canon"? It's just impossible to follow everything.

I know when you say "not following canon" in regards to XEvolution you're talking more about how Mystique is a principal and all the X-Men and Brotherhood are students at the same school and stuff, so it's definitely different. As a cartoon it's a really great series. As an X-Men series it's perhaps not what the comic crowd were hoping for.

As for Pryde, yeeeahhh I'm not going to give that one any more time. It was just way too hokey and outdated for me. Couldn't tell you how close to canon it runs but if they're making Wolverine a grumpy Australian I don't imagine they care too much about the rest of it. :p

My faveourite potrayal of Jean has always been in XME.

X-Men evolution defently got better as time went on.Since Wolverine and the X-Men only got 1 season It was one X-Men show that trully had real TV seasons and had changes as time went on.That was one of problems with 1990's version Lineup never changed.Plus after dark Phoenix Saga Is basicly became a single episode shows with exception of the
ocassional 2 parters(and Big exception was Beyond Good and Evil 4 parter) more changes to X-Men happened to Wolverine and X-Men than 1990's show.

My favorite parts of Evolution, though I like it, were X23, Captain America and Wolvie's orange-uniform.

Costume-wise they were generally uninspired in XE. But then I wasn't fond of most of the costumes in TAS (Jean Grey's was a particular pet peeve-- did they have to pick colors so close to her skintone??).

But that's her costume from the comics at that time? If you're gonna complain about that particular costume, complain about the comics' choice :oldrazz: Heck blame Jim Lee! That said, I'm not a fan of that costume either!

I think WATX got it right in that department. But I found the actual LOOK of it really refreshing. It felt youthful and fresh and for a hand-animated North American production it was REALLY well animated. It completely blows out TAS and WATX in that department.

Of course WATX would have a more palatable look for us now. I'm pretty sure back in the 90's everyone and their mom gave high grades for TAS for all the costume choices and looks as it worked for that time. I wouldn't be surprised as our world changes years from now someone will come and say WATX got that part completely wrong and it's dated and uninspired.

As for the voices... welllll... a couple of friends of mine played characters on the show so I'm a little biased but honestly the only one I'd have an issue with would be Kitty, who was like, ohmigod, no way, TOTALLY like, grating, like with her teenagerness ya know? But as a kid I downright haaated a few of the TAS voices. Jean always sounded like she'd just fainted, Storm seemed to "announce" everything, and Professor X just sounded downright peculiar.

Generally for me TAS still holds up. That was such a big part of my childhood, and if you do a quick survey of X-men fans, you will find the voice talents on that show is seen as a benchmark for how people "hear" how the characters sound in the comics. Heck even Bryan Singer is a big fan of the show.

I know XE doesn't follow the comics at all but as someone who's never properly followed X-Men comics that wasn't an issue for me. Though frankly I've never understood this desire and expectation people have of adaptations to be identical reproductions of the original source. If you want DOFP to go exactly as the comic, just read the comic? Not following everything verbatim leaves room for exciting surprises beyond "how are they going to design the costume". Take amc's WALKING DEAD, for instance. It still basically follows the comic but it's also quite clearly going its own way. I've read all the comics and I still have no idea what they're going to do each episode. It's exciting! I've never once been upset by changes they've made to the source.

I know when you say "not following canon" in regards to XEvolution you're talking more about how Mystique is a principal and all the X-Men and Brotherhood are students at the same school and stuff, so it's definitely different. As a cartoon it's a really great series. As an X-Men series it's perhaps not what the comic crowd were hoping for.

It doesn't have to be verbatim with the comics. I never said that. It annoys me too when people complain about that. But it has to have some semblance with the source material. I even forgot about Mystique being a principal at the school. I guess that part didn't annoy me as much as I remember. Or it was that bad that I erased it from memory. :p And I just hated Scarlet Witch's look in Evolution. And IIRC her voice. I'm sorry. :(

As for Pryde, yeeeahhh I'm not going to give that one any more time. It was just way too hokey and outdated for me. Couldn't tell you how close to canon it runs but if they're making Wolverine a grumpy Australian I don't imagine they care too much about the rest of it. :p

I've actually always wanted to check that episode out but I always forget. I'm sure I'll get to it one of these days. Pray for me. :woot:

But that's her costume from the comics at that time? If you're gonna complain about that particular costume, complain about the comics' choice :oldrazz: Heck blame Jim Lee! That said, I'm not a fan of that costume either!

Oh I had no idea hers was from the comics actually. I was really really little at the time and had never read an X-Men comic. All I thought of it at the time was "is it okay that there's an-almost naked lady on this show?"

Of course WATX would have a more palatable look for us now. I'm pretty sure back in the 90's everyone and their mom gave high grades for TAS for all the costume choices and looks as it worked for that time. I wouldn't be surprised as our world changes years from now someone will come and say WATX got that part completely wrong and it's dated and uninspired.

Oh sorry, I actually meant the look of Evolution. Visually I'm not fond of WATX. I think it has the best costumes of the 3 but design wise, the way the characters look and move, I'm not a fan of. Especially the way that most of the female characters were drawn, they all looked a bit too head-heavy or something, like they would fall over easily, whereas TAS's looked solid and XE's looked stylish. Does that make sense? I also didn't like the look of the faces in general in WATX, they seemed unfinished somehow.

Generally for me TAS still holds up. That was such a big part of my childhood, and if you do a quick survey of X-men fans, you will find the voice talents on that show is seen as a benchmark for how people "hear" how the characters sound in the comics. Heck even Bryan Singer is a big fan of the show.

I don't know if TAS holds up for me. I mean it's a great show but I find that it hasn't aged well animation-wise. Again I pay the comics no mind but definitely those voices (the good ones at least) stay in my head. The guy who played Wolverine has done a ton of stuff since but he will forever be Wolverine to me (though XE's Wolverine did a great job too).

It doesn't have to be verbatim with the comics. I never said that. It annoys me too when people complain about that. But it has to have some semblance with the source material. I even forgot about Mystique being a principal at the school. I guess that part didn't annoy me as much as I remember. Or it was that bad that I erased it from memory. :p And I just hated Scarlet Witch's look in Evolution. And IIRC her voice. I'm sorry. :(

Yeahhh Scarlet Witch was a bit of a mess in XE. I haaaated her Daddy Issues and then Magneto making her forget them entirely. She just felt a bit wasted, though her power was cool. And I agree on the voice, a little irritating but I suppose it worked for the super-unstable Wanda.

I've actually always wanted to check that episode out but I always forget. I'm sure I'll get to it one of these days. Pray for me. :woot:

Don't dooo itttttttt D:

x_men_1_zpsd07f7206.jpg

Not sure exactly when the costume first appeared in the comics but there's Jean Grey in the background as drawn by Jim Lee in the X-men title launched in 1991. IIRC TAS premiered in '92?

Although I agree with you about WATX the female characters having this lollipop head effect, I think I still hold it at a higher spot than Evolution, I did not like the over simplified, almost Batman TAS-look to the characters. And those costumes were too bland.

I think I need to revisit these series. Yes that includes watching Pryde :p

That was my screensaver about 10 years ago :cool:

I agree about the crappy animation on WATXM.

I still dig the Japanese intro haha. The Rogue wink and "Cry for the moon!!!" at the end still cracks me up. Its pretty rad.

[YT]gfjAbXrvkFw[/YT]

Last edited:

This is one of the best X-Men comic-book covers ever! It has the founder of the X-Men, the most iconic villain in the X-Men universe and 11 of the most well-known X-Men members. Just include Nightcrawler and it will be complete to me. And the fact that it was the cover of the most selling comic-book of all time makes it more special. :woot:

... Plus Magneto actually has his forcefield and Iceman actually has his ice-slide!

Never liked that Cyclops outfit though :hehe: as iconic as it is!

Iconic cover, definetly

and thats exactly what Fox should try to sell to all audiences, both adults and kids

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"