DC announces their new books and creators!

Gee

Rebirth
Reaction score
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/0...ew-creators-broader-focus-for-the-dc-universe

This summer, DC Entertainment launches a bold new direction for the DC Universe (DCU) that is even more inclusive and accessible to a wider group of readers as the publisher continues to evolve comic storytelling for its next generation of fans. Award-winning, critically acclaimed writers are headlining the June 2015 slate of DC Comics’ new periodicals and graphic novels, including Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Hitch, Garth Ennis and Ming Doyle.

Beginning June 3rd, the DC Comics line of comic books will consist of 24 brand-new series that will begin at issue number one, as well as 25 on-going, bestselling fan favorite series that will continue without a break in the issue numbering. The total number of periodicals in the DCU will be 49, with additional new titles debuting throughout the year.

List of the new and on-going titles:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/0...complete-list-of-new-and-continuing-dc-comics

Looking forward to reading a Midnighter solo comic.

Bat-Mite and Bizarro minis? a Cyborg ongoing? and new Dr. Fate and Omega Men ongoings? awwwww yeaaah baby!!!

I'm thrilled to see Martian Manhunter and Batman. Beyond get their own new series, but pretty disappointed by the lack of Beetle and Booster. If they want irreverent humor, why are we getting solo series for Batmite and Bizarro but not Ted and Booster?

That doesn't really matter when we have Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis writing Beetle and Booster over in Justice League 3000 right now (which is freaking excellent BTW) and presumably also in Justice League 3001 after Convergence. At least Giffen anyway.

I wonder why they didn't announce the Geoff Johns/ Gary Frank title.

Was anyone else as excited as I was about the Prez mini-series and The Section 8/Ennis mini series?

There's a lot of good stuff being announced. For the time being, I'll be checking out the following:

Bat-Mite
Black Canary
Constantine: The Hellblazer
Dark Universe
Dr. Fate
Earth 2: Society
Mystic U
Prez
Section 8

The supernatural stuff is what I'm most excited by. Justice League Dark was a disappointment and Swamp Thing under Soule felt so generic at times that I'm kind of relieved it was cancelled. I'm hoping that Dark Universe, Mystic U and Constantine can relive some of the early 90's glory of the pre-vertigo, but still intelligent and mature horror comics rather than as generic horror-as-superhero stuff.

Given that a few of the books are mini series, I'm curious to see what DC will announce as potential replacements. Hopefully Swamp Thing is in the mix under a better direction with better talent. Maybe the sales from the Convergence mini will dictate what happens, though I imagine he'll be in Dark Universe.

I wonder why they didn't announce the Geoff Johns/ Gary Frank title.

I figured because it obviously won't be ready for launch in June.

I'm curious about Constantine: The Hellblazer myself.

The current title is horrendous and I wonder just how far from that vision they're going deviate to relaunch the character within a greater DCU.

That doesn't really matter when we have Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis writing Beetle and Booster over in Justice League 3000 right now (which is freaking excellent BTW) and presumably also in Justice League 3001 after Convergence. At least Giffen anyway.

Yeah, I love JL3000, but I guess I'm just still indignant about the scrapped plans to bring Tec back as an A-lister, pre-52.

I swear to Christ, if I see Bleeding Cool use the term "Batgirling" one more time... :o

here for Starfire and Black Canary. Wonder if Earth 2 is getting a reboot or if everyone is staying, though I was hoping they would merge with the main Earth.

This is the only time in my life where I have been buying less than 20 DC monthlies at a time. To add to that a lot of the current ongoings I follow from them are going to be canned.

So this news is mostly exciting to me because the variety and diversity across their titles is what made me a DC fan back in the late 80's and early 90's.

It's refreshing to see them going back to that instead of sticking with the homogenizing they've been doing with their overall line these past couple of years. I mean who would've thought in the year 2015 we'd see Ennis and McCrea revisit the Hitman universe? this is nuts! In a good way.

"story will trump continuity"

that was always DC's strength. Thank God they're going back to that philosophy. I don't know what alien species took over DiDio's brain recently but as far as I'm concerned they're welcome to stay here.

tumblr_njcphvHT421qbgsmko1_500.jpg

Has Bryan Hitch ever written a comic before this? Should I not be so easily swayed by dat cover?

He wrote some stuff for Image but I never really checked it out. Still the guy has one of the smartest comic book minds in the business outside of the likes of Grant Morrison. He just really "gets it". So for that reason alone I'll give his JLA a try.

WEAREROBIN-cover1.jpg

I was expecting We Are Robin to be a title that brought all the former Robins together. Guess not.

BC-Promo.jpg

Is this Annie Wu doing the cover? From what ive seen of her art, it isnt bad but I'm not feeling this.

Green Arrow by writer Ben Percy & artist Richard Zircher

finally :woot::woot:

Red Hood/Arsenal by writer Scott Lobdell & artist Denis Medri

The supernatural stuff is what I'm most excited by. Justice League Dark was a disappointment and Swamp Thing under Soule felt so generic at times that I'm kind of relieved it was cancelled. I'm hoping that Dark Universe, Mystic U and Constantine can relive some of the early 90's glory of the pre-vertigo, but still intelligent and mature horror comics rather than as generic horror-as-superhero stuff.
I hope Constantine can recapture some of that old school magic :cwink:

Justice League Dark started out ok but soon descended into drivel.

The only real disappointment to me is the announcement of Harley Quinn/Power Girl.

One of my favorite comic book series of the last 5 years was the Power Girl ongoing Palmiotti and Conner started with Justin Gray. Which continued with the team of Judd Winick and Sami Basri until Flashpoint.

So while it was exciting to hear Palmiotti and Conner will be back to working on an ongoing starring Karen my hatred for Harley Quinn is so strong I don't think I will ever even browse through an issue of that book. SMH

There's always Stargirl...

-Black Canary and Cyborg get their own books, FINALLY!!

-Starfire gets her own book, with a decent costume this time, AND by Connor and Palmiotti-Awesome.

-Damian gets his own book-Also awesome.

-So James Tynion IV is writing a book called "Dark Universe." And Guillermo del Toro's proposed JLD movie is to be called "Dark Universe." Hmm, foreshadowing perhaps.

-The supernatural stuff intrigues me.

-Kreisberg is off GA, thank God.

-Sad to see Supergirl get cancelled. The new creative team is just getting started and their run's been really good so far.

-Black Canary and Cyborg get their own books, FINALLY!!

-Starfire gets her own book, with a decent costume this time, AND by Connor and Palmiotti-Awesome.

-Damian gets his own book-Also awesome.

-So James Tynion IV is writing a book called "Dark Universe." And Guillermo del Toro's proposed JLD movie is to be called "Dark Universe." Hmm, foreshadowing perhaps.

-The supernatural stuff intrigues me.

-Kreisberg is off GA, thank God.

-Sad to see Supergirl get cancelled. The new creative team is just getting started and their run's been really good so far.

Books that are continuing after this shake up that sell worse than Supergirl include Justice League 3000, Red Hood, Lobo, Green Arrow, and Catwoman. So I'd have to say there's more to the book being gone than sales figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"