Justice League DCEU: Semi-independent studio with comics & animated braintrust

semper

Civilian
Reaction score
For me this is the only way to potentially restore fan and consumer confidence in this failing movie universe. Warner Brothers spent decades being ashamed of their non-Batman/Superman DC properties, and only decided to cash in on them when Marvel started turning B-list comic characters into cash machines at the box office.

DC were good for comics and animated films, but the live-action divison of Warners Bros have always been snobs. They are full of people who are dismissive of the comics and the tones of the characters, and would rather revamp them to be "cool" for the movies.

But they are also greedy snobs. No way would Warner Execs and their favored directors and screenwriters turn control over an Extended Universe that could generate billions to mere comic book people and people who make animated movies. Even though these are the people who truly understand the characters. Just give it to Zack Snyder and his cool slo-mo visuals.

Geoff Johns isn't enough. I think Warners need to make the DCEU an independent studio in creative terms (sort of like how Disney just let Marvel do their thing). No more studio mandated interference or getting trailer companies to red-edit movies. Gather some of the best brains in the comics and animated divisions (ie people like Dini, Timm, Bendis now he's with DC) to act as a braintrust, deciding which filmmakers make the most sense to hire for each DC property. They understand the characters better than Warner execs. They'll know what director would work best for each individual project.

It's an extreme move, but consumer confidence is low thanks to the Snyderverse. The goal would be to create something that has the consistency of the animated universe, and getting the creatives who best understand this vast universe of characters to make the key decisions seems smart.

It could hardly get any worse.

Last edited:
I think they need people who understand the DC universe as a whole, and not people who are only familiar with the movies and select comic books. These people need to be determining which stories and characters are adapted, and how they fit into a broader context. WB's current strategy of seemingly giving solo films to market-tested villains is not the right one.

I think they need people who understand the DC universe as a whole, and not people who are only familiar with the movies and select comic books. These people need to be determining which stories and characters are adapted, and how they fit into a broader context. WB's current strategy of seemingly giving solo films to market-tested villains is not the right one.

Spot on.

But there's an arrogant culture at WB, that believes "film people" know what's right for these comic characters better than people who know the universe inside out.

One of the reasons Kevin Feige is the perfect showrunner for Marvel is that he's an actual fanboy, who knows the Marvel universe inside out. Snyder is someone who probably only cared about stuff written by Alan Moore, Frank Miller and Grant Morrison.

They’d proabably get Bruce Timm to oversee it knowing them. Then he could act out all his sick twisted fantasies in live action!

They’d proabably get Bruce Timm to oversee it knowing them. Then he could act out all his sick twisted fantasies in live action!

If he had Paul Dini and a few others there to curb his fanfic tendencies, then I'd be fine with Timm being part of a team. But not as a lone decision maker. Especially after the whole Batman/Batgirl debacle with The Killing Joke animated movie.

They should call up Mark Waid. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"