Describe your dream Green Lantern film. Name the director, which GL, and star!

That sounds good to me. Not sold on Reynor yet tho.

also, i think McConaughey would work just fine for a traditional Hal.

i just don't see matt making a film like this. i think it's pretty obviously that if you can get an actor of his caliber, by all means. don't see it though.

i thought Reynor showed presence in the brief time he was in delivery man. i can't hold transformers over him. that was just a bad film. he'll be in Macbeth with the fass, so we'll know better if he's the guy or the role.

I want Hank Hill as Green Lantern.

original.jpg

ЯɘvlveR;29968917 said:
I read someone say 'training day' in space with Hal and sinestro. I like that.

Yeah, that was my idea. The internet is a creepy eavesdropper. LOL

Yeah, that was my idea. The internet is a creepy eavesdropper. LOL
Among fans, "Training Day in space" has been a popular way of describing an ideal GL movie for a while. After all, First Flight was essentially Training Day in space.

And that movie provides the perfect template for a GL solo movie. Few changes would need to be made in adapting that story into live action.

Among fans, "Training Day in space" has been a popular way of describing an ideal GL movie for a while. After all, First Flight was essentially Training Day in space.

And that movie provides the perfect template for a GL solo movie. Few changes would need to be made in adapting that story into live action.

I would change the ending. First Flight was good for what it was but I don't think Sinestro's turn should be in the first movie. Not completely. Have him still be mostly a good guy with questionable ethics that Hal doesn't trust at the end. Then form the Sinestro Corps in the sequel.

Meh, Ryan Reynolds and Mark strong were perfectly cast. The movie was bad, bt mostly because it was poorly written. I never understood how a movie like the Fantastic Four could get a sequel - and then the sequel was terrible - but they couldnt try again and get it right. I know Ill probably get blasted for saying that, but the only thing wrong with the first movie was the bad writing and directing.

Meh, Ryan Reynolds and Mark strong were perfectly cast. The movie was bad, bt mostly because it was poorly written. I never understood how a movie like the Fantastic Four could get a sequel - and then the sequel was terrible - but they couldnt try again and get it right. I know Ill probably get blasted for saying that, but the only thing wrong with the first movie was the bad writing and directing.

i don't know, maybe cause Fantastic 4 made money and GL did not?

GL was just made too late, if it had been released in 2005, it would've been as much of a success as Fantastic Four was.

Green Lantern was also made at a time when DC had no firm plan for their properties. There was some lukewarm talk about Green Lantern being the start of the cinematic universe, but there was nothing tying it to anything else. Part of the reason Marvel's movies have had so much success with lesser known properties is because they are linked to something bigger and each movie is seen as the next step in that. Nolan's Batman movies were a huge thing, but Nolan didn't want his movies connected to anything so Warners had their hands tied. The Sinestro yellow ring tease at the end was fan service, but imagine Green Lantern if Christian Bale's Batman had shown up instead. The movie probably wouldn't have been any better but it might have sold more tickets if audiences had reason to think it was leading towards Justice League then.

I want this film to use modern practical effects in the style of the original Star Wars films and Total Recall

Guillermo Del Toro

Tim Burton

Ridley Scott

Neil Blomkamp

Paul Verhoeven

The Wachowskis

Peter Jackson

George Lucas

Last edited:
Is a big superhero franchise really Neil Blomkamp's thing? I don't know how much interest he would have in that, but I'd be interested to see his take on a superhero movie.

who knows? Nolan did a superhero trilogy so anything is possible

WB make it happen.

Director: Peter Berg
Green Lantern: Hal Jordan - Actor: Taylor Kitsch
Green Lantern: Guy Gardner - Actor: Chris Pine
Green Lantern: John Stewart - Actor: Nate Parker
Sinestro: Richard Armitage

Keep the movie in space like a star wars scifi adventure, sick of cliche earth threat storylines.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...ion-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-1201343245/
[YT]watch?v=GccGbdLqTmQ[/YT]

The guy who directed dark knight trilogy
Idris Elba as John Stewart

LOL

Director: Peter Jackson

Hal Jordan: Jason O'Mara
John Stewart: Billy Brown
Kyle Rayner: Taron Egerton
Guy Gardner: Jesse Plemons (Meth Damon)
Kilowog: (voice) John Goodman
Thaal Sinestro: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Carol Ferris: Olivia Wilde
Ganthet: Martin Freeman
Katma Tui: Eva Mendes

Director: Doug Liman

Green Lantern: Kyle Rainer and Hal Jordan (I envision Kyle as the Luke Skywalker of the movie and Hal as the Han Solo)

Plot: Seven Green Lanterns (Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kyle Rainer, Kilowog, Thaal Sinestro, Katma Tui, Tomar Re) are sent to investigate a planet. Turns out, it's about to be attacked by Atrocitus and a horde of Red Lanterns, and it is up the them to defend the planet from them.

Cast:
Kyle Rainer - Not entirely sure, likely an unknown or lesser known actor.
Hal Jordan - Matt Damon
John Stewart - Boris Kodjoie
Thaal Sinestro - Hugh Jackman
Kilowog - Stephen Lang
Katma Tui - Alicia Vikander
Tomar Re - John Hurt
Atrocitus - Manu Bennet

Writer/Director:
-Christopher McQuarie (MI: Rogue Nation). JJ jumped from MI3 to Star Trek just fine. I think McQuarie could make a similar jump. Plenty of experience writing soldiers and sci-fi, and he directs thrilling suspenseful action.

Tone:
-Very End of Watch, District 9, Training Day, Edge of Tomorrow with regards to the Corps, but mixed with that more magical adventure tone of Star Trek & Star Wars once we're introduced to the mysterious emotional spectrum.
-Utilize familiar law enforcement / armed forces visual motifs with Oa and the Corps to make the GLs more digestible to audiences who've written off GL as something random and cheesy, but still have the GLs go to visually majestic worlds like Zamaron with completely foreign lifeforms to bring that sense of wonder and creativity. It's something the other sci-fi franchises don't seem to utilize enough.

Some images that sort of capture the vibe I'm picturing:
pacific-rim-rob-kazinski.jpg

StarringRole_District92cs_05.jpg

Bladerunner.jpg

800px-JohnWickP30L-2.jpg

star-trek-into-darkness-chris-pine-karl-urban.jpg

zamaron2.jpg

GLLA-950-dyluxlo-res-crop-Page-4-2048-554a9b75950c29-39243488-8e120.jpg

latest

1a65a831481af286ad91745b0698d183542512d4.jpg

Justice-League-39-Hal-Jordan-Green-Lantern.png

Plot:
In an opening battle scene, Hal's partner Guy is injured, so his ring finds a replacement, John. Hal shows John the ropes, and a bulk of the first two acts deals with the day to day life of a GL, resolving simple disputes, interrogations, chases, etc, with the mystery of the yellow lantern corps unfolding. Hal and John butt heads over a lot of issues, including Sinestro's proposal to drop the restrictions on lethal force, and perhaps Hal's unwillingness to believe John's accusations about Sinestro.

The third act would involve the GLs on an enslaved Korugar, and subsequently a battle between the two corps while Hal takes on Sinestro. Conclude with Hal being promoted to Honor Guard, Sinestro getting what he wanted with the GLCorp dropping the lethal force restrictions, a hint of Hal being infected, and John meeting his new, even more loudmouthed partner Guy.

Only show Earth in one scene at the start where John is chosen, and perhaps another brief one before the third act where Hal or John visits the other's home, gaining a key understanding of that character's past.

Last edited:
Guillermo Del Toro

Tim Burton

Ridley Scott

Neil Blomkamp

Paul Verhoeven

The Wachowskis

Peter Jackson

George Lucas
Bolded ones are best suited for the character.
Ridley is the grand old master of space films. He knows how to make a really good one, that's for sure. With the right writers, not many can beat him.
Verhoeven and Wachowskis would both give us a stylistic film. The former a pretty violent one, with political tones.
The latter with philosophical elements into the mix, and and the craziest fight scenes we've ever seen.

You forgot Cameron though. It would be just amazing to see his vision and how he imagines different planets to look like. His version would be a typical classic superhero adventure hidden behind so many groundbreaking 3D and cgi effects it makes us forgive him that the story has been done dozens of times before.

And if this thread was 30 years ago, Peter Hyams would have been one of the most suited directors for the job. Just wanted to add that.

Sequel
In the middle chapter I'd have John and Guy dealing with the mystery of the Manhunters and the Red Lantern Corps, while Hal deals with Carol as a Star Sapphire, fleshing out Hal's attachment to Coast City, Carol and his family...only for it to be obliterated by Atrocitus. Hal tragically turns to the dark side, decimating the GLCorp and the guardians. His friends are forced to put him down, Carol, using her Sapphire teleportation power, and John channeling the entire GL power battery into one sniper shot.

812688-red_lanterns.jpg

Green-Lantern.jpg

11647294966_15215e16bf_z.jpg

latest

Hal-Jordan-Syndrome-580x333.png

Threequel
Picks up years later, TDKRises style, with the Corps in shambles. The battery is drained, most of the Corps are dead, and the universe no longer trusts the Lanterns with the revelation of the Guardians' past and the fall of Hal Jordan. A new character Kyle plays a 'Blake'-esque role, kicking John and Guy back into action when the threat of Blackest Night approaches. We find John as an Indigo lantern and Guy as a Red, each dealing in their own way. Once they get back in the game, they take it upon themselves to unite the other lantern corps. Maybe a two-parter if the franchise is successful enough with the first part ending with Hal's resurrection.

latest

14-Kyle-Rayner.jpg

John_Stewart_Indigo_Lantern_%28Futures_End%29_001.jpg

4056916-red+lanterns-415x260.jpg

Blackest-Night-6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members