Does anybody that a Green Lantern film series could be the next Star Wars?

ron bond 007

Civilian
Reaction score
Is it just me or do I think that a Green Lantern movie franchise could be the next Star Wars? GL has many similarities to SW. The GL corps are similar to the Jedi Knights in the sense they defend a sector of space or a planet or star system. And the Guardians of the Universe are similar to the Jedi Council. And GL has lots of space action and space battles similar to SW.

I can imagine the hype and merchandise. It would be fun to play a GL video game. Imagine playing as the GL or the entire GL corps in computer animation. I hope there will be at least 6 GL movies much like the SW saga and that the first trilogy would be about Hal Jordan becoming GL and turning evil becoming Parallax at the end of the first trilogy and the second trilogy the other GL including Jon Stewart,Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner try to save Hal and he is redeemed and back as a GL again.

:oldrazz: :woot:

ron bond 007 said:
Is it just me or do I think that a Green Lantern movie franchise could be the next Star Wars? GL has many similarities to SW. The GL corps are similar to the Jedi Knights in the sense they defend a sector of space or a planet or star system. And the Guardians of the Universe are similar to the Jedi Council. And GL has lots of space action and space battles similar to SW.

I can imagine the hype and merchandise. It would be fun to play a GL video game. Imagine playing as the GL or the entire GL corps in computer animation. I hope there will be at least 6 GL movies much like the SW saga and that the first trilogy would be about Hal Jordan becoming GL and turning evil becoming Parallax at the end of the first trilogy and the second trilogy the other GL including Jon Stewart,Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner try to save Hal and he is redeemed and back as a GL again.

:oldrazz: :woot:

This speculation has been going on for more than a year now. There have been a number of us who concur with your thought. I would suggest you search this board for other comments.

you betcha. the GL Corps has been compared to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and just about every cult classic genre that involves a team of people fighting against evil.

that why it really stabs me in the gut to hear that the movie plans is no more than Nacho Libre in green :mad: :(

I would love to see a good GL movie, but I really hope they don't go overboard with the budget, making it impossible to turn a profit. They don't need a Superman Returns budget for this film. In fact, I really think they just need like a Serenity-sized budget.

Do we want the Green Lantern films to be the next original Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983) or the next prequel Star Wars trilogy (1999-2005)?

The whole Emerald Twilight saga (established hero turning evil because he can't bear to lose his loved ones, a new rookie kid becoming the New Hope of the universe) is very much like Star Wars.

Dr. Fate said:
Do we want the Green Lantern films to be the next original Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983) or the next prequel Star Wars trilogy (1999-2005)?

I think first and foremost Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps fans want to see a film made. Secondly, to help pay for the film it should cater to or try to lure in fans of Science Fiction and Fantasy lore. These are big markets and if it can be shown that Green Lantern is appealing to them I have a vision that they will come in droves and camp out in front of theaters to see a film like this. Doing this film right will involve a lot of high tech special effects, lots of action laced with good romance and drama, and cliff-hangers. Thats what will bring them in and is what I think will generate the sequels.

dnno1 said:
I have a vision that they will come in droves and camp out in front of theaters to see a film like this.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. People didn't even do that for Spider-Man.

I don't even care about this film being a huge box office success or generating sequels. I just want a good movie that doesn't "bomb" due to an overly inflated budget which leads to unrealistic expectations.

Kevin Roegele said:
Sorry, but that's not going to happen. People didn't even do that for Spider-Man.

They weren't Star Wars fans although there were long lines around the block in Southern California for Spiderman I.

Yes, I'm sure many would love this, but let's be serious. It won't happen.

With Green Lantern, especially since it's pretty obvious DC/WB thought he was a joke contacting Robert Smigel for a script, you're better off starting with something more "down to earth" and "affordable"

Concentrate on getting a solid cast, developing a solid 3 or 4 franchise characters (say like a main GL, Sinestro and/or other main Villain, love interest and human campanion/possible future GL). That way for the next movie, if there is one, they'd be able to get a much bigger budget to play around with.

Furthermore if you leave a lot of GL elements out of the movie, you leave even more room to GROW for the second and third. That way, when the second one does get greenlit you can almost gaurentee a return audience iching to see the Corp, Manhunters, Oa, Villains you've saved for the second.

Kevin Roegele said:
The whole Emerald Twilight saga (established hero turning evil because he can't bear to lose his loved ones, a new rookie kid becoming the New Hope of the universe) is very much like Star Wars.

Does that mean that the half focusing on Hal Jordan will feature an emotionally cold, boring, uninvolving plot with horrid dialogue, bored, passionless acting thrown out against a handful of fairly well executed action sequences while the half focusing on Hal's successor, i.e. Kyle Rayner, features a more emotionally involving storyline dialogue that is actually easy to listen to, acting that doesn't suck in addition to kick ass action scenes?:cwink:

Check this out.

It's a picture from the set of the movie I Am Legend. It's a Warner Bros. movie, and out front of the video store that they're shooting at, they have a fake poster for a Green Lantern movie. Just thought it was interesting. And it's probably the only time we'll see GL on the big screen for a long time.

ToddIsDead said:
Check this out.

It's a picture from the set of the movie I Am Legend. It's a Warner Bros. movie, and out front of the video store that they're shooting at, they have a fake poster for a Green Lantern movie. Just thought it was interesting. And it's probably the only time we'll see GL on the big screen for a long time.
You never know. Jay and Silent Bob showed DareDevil being filmed, and only a year or so later we saw the actual thing.

Dr. Fate said:
why the first trilogy of course the REAL trilogy:gl:

I doin't think a GL film should be patterened after Star Wars... I think it has it's own appeal and that should be concentrated on instead of trying to make it into something else...

I do think the epic sci-fi take is a better road as far as quality, cost and appeal than the "Spider-Man with a ring" approach, though.

GL1 said:
I doin't think a GL film should be patterened after Star Wars... I think it has it's own appeal and that should be concentrated on instead of trying to make it into something else...

I do think the epic sci-fi take is a better road as far as quality, cost and appeal than the "Spider-Man with a ring" approach, though.
Agreed.

If they are not going to make a Green Lantern movie as such, maybe they could put GL in the next Batman or Superman movie and then go from there.

I think showing GL in a Superman film would be cool but i doubt they would do it. The only shot of having two DC superheroes in the same film is the Batman vs. Superman film that was/is in the works. A GL film should be made tho.....I would like to see it begin with Hal Jordan and establish Sinestro and a love interest and if a possibility of a trilogy,sequel etc. introducing Kyle Rayner to be the next in line would be cool. Should we talk about casting now?

Kardoman said:
If they are not going to make a Green Lantern movie as such, maybe they could put GL in the next Batman or Superman movie and then go from there.

GL wouldn't fit into Nolan's Batman universe. At all.

Kevin Roegele said:
GL wouldn't fit into Nolan's Batman universe. At all.

Awwww, you're Batman-centric. That's so adorable.

I believe it's Batman that goes into the JLA, not the other way around. It would be Batman who is crafted to fit into the vision for the JLA, not all the JLA members trying to fit in Nolan's Batman verse. That's silly. That wouldnt' even work in the comics.

ToddIsDead said:
Check this out.

I think that is a book store. Not that it makes much difference. GL kicks ass.

You should be clear though. When people say it could be the next Star Wars, they arnt referring to the plot being patterned similarly. I think they mean in an epic sci-fi movie spanning many movies. It could also be called the next LOTR in a sense as well.

A sci fi epic GL film has the potential to be HUUUUUGE. It would have to be a trilogy. The budget would have to be reasonable to start off....say around 150 million.....can't go to the 200 mill range...that is a big NO NO....IMO....

ToddIsDead said:
Check this out.

i think that would be bad idea for a GL movie poster. It should just have space as the background......and the emerald green shiny GL symbol in the middle with the words....

"In brightest day and darkest night no evil shall escape my sight....."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"