Diamond List for May 23, 2007

Pull. List.

I like being free to dump or add books without having to talk to anyone. Besides, the last shop I had a pull list in closed, so I have commitment jitters. Of course, that was 3 years ago.

Oh, and according to Comics Continuum.com, THE SPIRIT #6 will ship on the 23rd due to a "printing error", not on the 16th as solicted.

Do you even read The Spirit, Dread?

I like being free to dump or add books without having to talk to anyone. Besides, the last shop I had a pull list in closed, so I have commitment jitters. Of course, that was 3 years ago.

Oh, and according to Comics Continuum.com, THE SPIRIT #6 will ship on the 23rd due to a "printing error", not on the 16th as solicted.

My shop deals with pull lists online. You can add/delete titles whenever you want and they'll update it within the hour.

My shop deals with pull lists online. You can add/delete titles whenever you want and they'll update it within the hour.

Mine doesn't.

I'm also just lazy and antisocial.:o

Pull lists seriously are the way to go. I was like Dread, and passed on them up until about 6 months ago. With ordering being what it is, especially with smaller press books, you never what's going to sell out by the time you get to the shop. Pull lists eliminate that. AND they help the retailer. My shop encourages pull lists, because it helps them know what to order and how many to order, naturally. That way, they're not stuck with 24 copies of Mighty Avengers #1 a month after the release.

It's a win-win.

Do you even read The Spirit, Dread?

Read it and enjoy it immensely.

Pull lists seriously are the way to go. I was like Dread, and passed on them up until about 6 months ago. With ordering being what it is, especially with smaller press books, you never what's going to sell out by the time you get to the shop. Pull lists eliminate that. AND they help the retailer. My shop encourages pull lists, because it helps them know what to order and how many to order, naturally. That way, they're not stuck with 24 copies of Mighty Avengers #1 a month after the release.

It's a win-win.

Objectively, I know that. I just usually am in too much of a rush on Wed. to spend an extra 5-10 minutes to recall every series I am sure about.

I could just go on the weekend to do that, but, that'd be smart. :o

That's ****ing sweet. My shop makes me write my list down on an index card. A ****ing 3"x5" index card. You've seen how many books I read. I swear, they want to give me carpal tunnel. :(

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1 $3.99

If this is anywhere near as good as the Sensational Annual was, then this should be a real treat.

That's ****ing sweet. My shop makes me write my list down on an index card. A ****ing 3"x5" index card. You've seen how many books I read. I swear, they want to give me carpal tunnel. :(

The last shop I had a pull list on wrote them down on the bag they placed your comics in. Good in theory, but you had to cross off stuff that ended, like mini's or canned series, and that cost space. And then heaven forbid if someone lost your bag, which happened twice.

I don't put minis on my pull list because they'd require too much maintenance, crossing them off, putting them on, etc. I'm in the shop like clockwork every Wednesday anyway, so I figure I'll find a copy of any minis unless they're beyond popular.

My shop's pretty good about pull lists. They have a print out in your bag every week, and if you want to add something new or take something off, they write it on there and update their computer later. The minis and whatnot just expire. They give 10% or 15% discounts depending on how many are on your pull list. I don't really put anything on a pull list because I'm afraid I'll miss it. They've never underordered anything that I can remember. But the discount makes a HUGE difference. I might mention to them the online thing. That would be great (although, as far as I know, they don't have a website.)

And Dread, you should at least put some of those titles that you're always saying are underappreciated (MTU comes to mind) on a pull list. They're always saying that, outside of actually buying the comic, that's the best way to show Marvel (or DC, etc) what you like.

My shop's pretty good about pull lists. They have a print out in your bag every week, and if you want to add something new or take something off, they write it on there and update their computer later. The minis and whatnot just expire. They give 10% or 15% discounts depending on how many are on your pull list. I don't really put anything on a pull list because I'm afraid I'll miss it. They've never underordered anything that I can remember. But the discount makes a HUGE difference. I might mention to them the online thing. That would be great (although, as far as I know, they don't have a website.)

And Dread, you should at least put some of those titles that you're always saying are underappreciated (MTU comes to mind) on a pull list. They're always saying that, outside of actually buying the comic, that's the best way to show Marvel (or DC, etc) what you like.

My shop takes 15% off pull list items, too. And great point about putting the comics you appreciate (but might not be widely appreciated) on a list to show approval and support. I'm assuming since we all spend so much time on here that we care about the industry as much as the actual comic books. Might as well do what we can, right?

My shop has its pull list on a computer, which they print off regularly, and pencil in changes to in the interim.

I thought my shop took 15% off, but I think it might actually be 10%. I know they only take 10% off of trades for subscribers, though.

I definitely put my unsung favorites on my list, though. The Loners, She-Hulk, Spider-Girl, Manhunter, The Chronicles of Wormwood are all on there. For Wormwood, I suspect they may be ordering version exclusively for me, with only one or two copies put out on the shelves. It was kind of a hassle for a couple of months to clear up that I wanted Ennis' Chronicles of Wormwood, not Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse.

That story started out relevant, I promise. :o

I prefer the Gentlemen Corpse of the two Wormwood books, myself.

I haven't read it. Now that I'm going to start reading Fell, I may try it for Templesmith's art, though. The story didn't strike me as all that interesting when I read a synopsis of it.

Yep, gotta have a pull list. I'm so glad my old LCS went out of business. This was in the 90's, back when I would just tell them to put all Marvel, Image, Superman, Batman, Star Wars, and other titles in my box. (Not to worry...after a while I cut way back to just Marvel and certain other titles.) The problem was they constantly had a rotating amount of employees, and I'd miss out on a key comic here and there. (Just yesterday, I finally realized that I never got Fantastic Four 416; so, I had to go onto Milehigh and pay 5 bucks for it today.) My new comic shop, which I've had for over 5 years now, is perfect. They might miss only 2-5 Marvel comics a year, and it's usually because Marvel screws up their order. I get the same 20% off for all my comics, except Trades. (Trades would be a much better deal on Mile High; many times they have them at least 30% off.)

Amazon or its Marketplace sellers usually have trades for upwards of 30% off, too. But I'll often just pick trades up at my shop because they catch my eye and I don't want to wait around while Amazon ships my stuff. I realize I could probably pay for overnight shipping with the 20% difference in their discounts, but I'm an instant gratification type of person. See, want, buy. Not so much with the patience.

damn...you guys get discounts on your pull list/trades by comic store doesnt offer anything.

I totally believe in support your LCS. But, if my comic shop didn't give me a discount, especially considering I buy so many comics, I would just do it online. (Of course, many shops have a set amount of comics you must have on your pull list for a discount. I know mine is 10 comics a month gets 10%, and if you get as much as I do, it's 20%.) I could actually get a better deal online; one of the sites gives a 35% discount on new comics. But, in the end, we have to support our LCS, otherwise they'll end up going out of business. If you do get a certain amount of comics that you believe deserves a discount, you should see if any of the LCS around you offer this. I know when my previous shop went out of business, I went to my new shop and told him my previous deal. He learned how many comics I buy, and he had no problem giving me the same deal. (In fact, I left my previous shop before they closed. They were going to only offer 10%, as I remember; and, I didn't like them reducing my discount. I just found another shop that wanted my business.)

I haven't read it. Now that I'm going to start reading Fell, I may try it for Templesmith's art, though. The story didn't strike me as all that interesting when I read a synopsis of it.

In all honesty, the story isn't that exciting. It's enjoyable, but it's not like it's breaking new ground. The real treat is obviously Templesmith's artwork. The guy's a genius. As for Fell, that's one of the best books on the stands, in my opinion. Ellis' one in done tales are perfect, and Templesmith is theh only artist I want drawing the book. There might not better a writer/artist combo in comics, right now.

I totally agree with you guys about supporting your LCS and starting a pull list. My LCS obviously was molested by Satan's Sodomy Baby because they could never get my pull list right even though I went there for almost a year and a half. I finally had enough and stopped going. I went by there on FCBD, and the place looked bad. It was new management, and they treat it like their playhouse, clothes and food everywhere, perfect environment for first time readers.:cmad: I hope that shop burns.

I hate ordering comics online due to the week wait, but free bags and boards and 15% discounts is nice.

Ever since it took me 2 weeks to catch up to JSA because they were sold out everytime I went in, I've been thinking about getting a pull list.

But the bastards don't carry Dynamo 5.

Ever since it took me 2 weeks to catch up to JSA because they were sold out everytime I went in, I've been thinking about getting a pull list.

But the bastards don't carry Dynamo 5.

A comic shop is like any business: they base what they carry on consumer demand. If you put Dynamo 5 on a pull list, they'll order it. Probably only 3 copies a month, but that's one for you, and two for the shelf if someone else wants to pick it up and give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"