The Dark Knight Did anyone catch the subtle metaphore in the death scene?

TDK drew many parallels to Batman Begins. In the scene where Harvey and Rachels tied up, the music cue plays from when Bruces House was on fire and Ras was about to destroy the city. The correlation perhaps being Bruces fathers dream lies on through Harvey and now hes about to die.

Theres also the scene where Gordon is talking with his kid in his room, with the same music as the scene where Thomas is using the stethoscope on Bruce.

And the scene where Bruce and Alfred talk about Rachel mirrors the scene right after Bruces parent funeral.

In TDK these portions of the film are more subdued and character based than a large action piece though. I found it quite charming.

Does anybody know of any more?

How about the way Nolan draws parallels between Bruce and the Joker- specifically at Harvey's fundraiser?

Both make dramatic entrances with an entrouage.

Both address the crowd with the question-'where is Harvey Dent?'

Both toss champagne out of a glass in almost the exact same manner.

:cwink:

Also while the coin for Gordon's son landed 'good heads' up meaning he would have lived, Two-Face himself landed scarred-side up...meaning death.

Nolan loves that kinda stuff.

To add to this, the coin's final flip had it fall on heads, meaning the scarred side would never likely see the light of day again. Similar to how Harvey, thanks to the cover up, landed "heads" up in the eyes of the citizens of Gotham, who would never see his other half.

Excellent observations! Well done.

Director George Miller said:
"You're trying to layer, weave and shape the story so that it looks self-evident, clear and simple, but that belies a complex architecture. It's a Rubik's cube. All stories worth their weight, that have impact and endure, must have more to them than meets the eye."

:o.

I though it was kinda ironic that a guy with the nick name "Harvey Two-Face" gets burnt on one side of the face, AND his dubble sided coin gets tore up on one side, at a place located at 2 5052street [2 50/50 second street]

Damn. what are the odds.

Lighting the death scene that way would have simply made it more interesting visually. When you're basically cutting back and forth between two talking heads, if you have the opportunity to make it appear more dynamic visually, then you take it. Not saying this is the only reason they did it, but it may have been, with nice unintended effects as Marvolo points out. Just saying maybe.

1)In the dinner scene between Bruce, Harvey, Rachel and the russian girl, Harvey talks about the "roman empire" and how when an enemy is at the gates, a citizen steps up to defend the city. Dent was alluding to Batman, but the metaphor I also see is that the "roman empire" he is referring to can be seen as Carmine Falcone's organized crime. With the void left from falcone leaving, someone needs to step in. Maybe Two Face?
To go further, Caesar was overthrown by his own politicians when he got too powerful. The same thing could be construed to the Joker's rise, as well as Batman's rise.

The Chechen and Maroni give the Joker power, but when he goes too far, Maroni tries to take him down by going to Gordon.

And we all know how the Joker loves to take Batman down a notch. :cwink:

Lighting the death scene that way would have simply made it more interesting visually. When you're basically cutting back and forth between two talking heads, if you have the opportunity to make it appear more dynamic visually, then you take it. Not saying this is the only reason they did it, but it may have been, with nice unintended effects as Marvolo points out. Just saying maybe.
Well, I'm sure it was intended for visuals, but in choosing which one to light, story led the way. :yay:

Someone in the forum also mentioned that Batman and Joker also "make" Two-Face, since Batman gives Harvey the coin, and Joker gives him the gun.

I didn't notice that, thank you.

One thing I really loved was Gordon saying in the flash forward "Harvey Dent is the hero we didn't deserve, but the one we needed" and I could see that has having a double meaning in that Gotham doesn't deserve the hero who became a villain, but they needed Dent to be a hero. While back in the present Gordon says to his son "He's the hero Gotham deserves, but we don't need him to be. He will run and we will chase him because he can take it. He's not a hero, he's a silent guardian...a dark knight."

Nice parallel.

Also, if you like spotting noir influences I think one of the biggest that fans seem to ignore is that after Two-Face dies Batman lifts his face and turns it from his bad side to his good side in death. This is a direct homage to The Big Heat when Gloria Graham, a mobster flousy who after helping the good guy, Glenn Ford, gets her face scarred on one side by coffee, dies saving Ford he lifts her scarred side of her face and turns it to her good side.

That is what Batman did to Dent, to remember the good in him. Of course the opening scene is an homage to Heat, as well.

very good observation... it just shows you how brillant a director chris nolan is

I think people are looking too far into the Rome analogy. It was showing that Dent underneath his golden boy image and populist campaign has some authoritarian notions and so does Batman. It is why they work so well together and why Gordon, who is the more straight laced by-the-book and rules kind of guy is a little distant to both of them.

I'd also point out they three form a triumvirate like Caesar did with Pompey and Crassus to protect and better Rome. Caesar is the likable leader and charismatic one that the public adores and after his success in Gaul and Crassus's death, Caesar turns on the other member, Pompey and chases him from Rome and causes a civil war that results in Pompey's death and what appeared to be Caesar's inevitable ascension to dictator for life until his high minded murder.

You could draw several parallels for what is happening in TDK and will happen in its sequel to that. Perhaps in the triumvirate the men form to save Gotham, Harvey Dent is Caesar and the charismatic leader who turns on the values he swore to uphold for Gotham City and makes war on the other two, except he dies at the end. Then perhaps Dent is Crassius and Batman is Pompey who holds the values of Gotham and the maitenence of the city higher than anyone, but has to run because Gordon is Caesar, except Gordon is not power-hungry. So it is really unknown.

I think it is just a small bit of characterization in Dent and Batman and their kindred spirits.

I also should point out that the ending I think is an entire metaphor of what the third film will be. The police will chase Batman in their darkest hour relentlessly but eventullay he (and Gotham) will ascend into light at the end, like the final shot.

I think people are looking too far into the Rome analogy. It was showing that Dent underneath his golden boy image and populist campaign has some authoritarian notions and so does Batman. It is why they work so well together and why Gordon, who is the more straight laced by-the-book and rules kind of guy is a little distant to both of them.

I'd also point out they three form a triumvirate like Caesar did with Pompey and Crassus to protect and better Rome. Caesar is the likable leader and charismatic one that the public adores and after his success in Gaul and Crassus's death, Caesar turns on the other member, Pompey and chases him from Rome and causes a civil war that results in Pompey's death and what appeared to be Caesar's inevitable ascension to dictator for life until his high minded murder.
LOL, you say we're looking too deep into the Rome analogy and then look where you go right after. :cwink:

The cool thing is that it isn't in your face. They mention it briefly then move on, giving us a chance to make these analogies but not bash us in the head with it. Maroni didn't give a little speech about Brutus and Caesar when he went to Gordon, he just did it.

I also should point out that the ending I think is an entire metaphor of what the third film will be. The police will chase Batman in their darkest hour relentlessly but eventullay he (and Gotham) will ascend into light at the end, like the final shot.
I also found it fascinating that the first image in the first theatrical trailer was the last image in the film. Probably not on purpose, but very neat nonetheless.

I also found it fascinating that the first image in the first theatrical trailer was the last image in the film. Probably not on purpose, but very neat nonetheless.

Wow. You are the first person I've heard say that on these boards, and I was just going to post it today. It's been driving me mad since I saw the movie. I was just waiting for someone to bring it up and then I was like "Fine, I'll bring it up today." Wow.

Anita, you...complete............me. :grin:

Wow. You are the first person I've heard say that on these boards, and I was just going to post it today. It's been driving me mad since I saw the movie. I was just waiting for someone to bring it up and then I was like "Fine, I'll bring it up today." Wow.

Anita, you...complete............me. :grin:
Really? I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it at least once before. But alright. :cwink:

Really? I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it at least once before. But alright. :cwink:

Well if you have, I haven't seen it. Anyhow, I'm just glad someone mentioned it, cause that was something special for me. I loved making little connections to the marketing. Aside from this one, one of my favorites is the way "And tonight you're gonna break your one rule!" played out EXACTLY like in the virals. The page had Joker's cut and pasted letters of "The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules..." followed by the page burning away and us hearing Joker's line. Amazing.

I'm probably really slow on this one.

I saw it again tonight...and never realized the foreshadowing with Rachel, when Dent asks Alfred 'if he's known Rachel her whole life.' And Alfred replies, 'not yet.' Or something like that.

I wrote this on another thread

I love this dialogue.

"Harvey: We did. All of us who let scum like Maroni take over our city. In Rome, they would elect one man to watch over and protect their city.

Rachel: Harvey, the last person the Romans elected was a guy named Caesar and he never gave up his power."

hmmm if not for political corruption I wonder why Caesar didn't give up his power?
wink.gif

It is interesting to me that some people get hung up on the fact that this is derive from a comic mat I remind some that so was Road to Perdition and a History of Violence and lets not forget V.

Some get hung up on Batman vs. the Joker, its not just about that as much as the effect of Batman has on the city and the world. In the Long Halloween it isn't the Joker who creates a world without rules, he does gain power because the world without rules has been created.

Its the same here...

There's no going back. You've changed things... forever.

I remember that scene where Mrs. Gordon finds out that her husband is dead and she creams at Batman, "You brought this upon us!"

I wonder who is really responsible for all the anarchy? Who crossed the line first? Who is responsible?

Batman inspired people to do good, but he also showed them that human law whether it be law enforcement or organized crime.

Bank Manager: "The criminals in this town used to believe in things: honor, respect! Look at you. What do you believe in, huh?"

It is interesting to note that cops and the mob have a lot in common, the departed blurred the lines between cop and criminal and this does the same with good and bad people. The mob believes the anarchist will bring things back to normal and Gordon thinks that his use of a vigilante will bring things back to normal. Even Batman believes it, he thinks that he can just hang his cape up and it will go back to normal.

Joker: "Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak--like me."

But how can it go back to normal? Once one man successfully goes above the law what’s to stop another from doing it, one with a much different moral code.

"Fake Batman: What gives you the right? What's the difference between you and me?!
Batman: I'm not wearing hockey pads."

The only difference is the money. Brian Douglas has the same right as any of us to take up the mantle of the Bat. But Bruce wants it to be Dent, a Self made man within the law.

Brian the Fake batman is an interesting part of the film as I think in a way he represents us the batman fan. In a way everyone who read Batman as a kid wanted to be Batman. And so did he.

His character brings an interesting view point to the movie as it shows one of the many ways that Batman has inspired, or maybe affected is a better word, the city.

Batman inspired people to vote for good men to public office, this can be seen in Dent. Batman inspired people like Brian to become vigilantes like him and Batman also inspired....

Joker: Tell them your name.
Brian Douglas: Brian Douglas.
Joker: Are you the real Batman?
Brian Douglas: N-no.
Joker: No? No? Then why do you dress up like him? Woo, hoo hoo hoo!
Brian Douglas: He's a symbol that we don't have to be afraid of scum like you.
Joker: Yeah... you do, Brian. YOU REALLY DO. Yeah...
Joker: Shh shh shh shh. So you think Batman's made Gotham a better place? Hm? Look at me... LOOK AT ME! You see this is how crazy Batman's made Gotham. You want order in Gotham? Batman must take off his mask and turn himself in. Oh, and everyday he doesn't, people will die... starting tonight. I'm a man of my word.

...The Joker.

The Batman is responsible for the Joker.

Dent isn't crazy at the end of the film, he looks for justice, for those involved in killing Rachel. He gets the mob, the police, the joker, and then he comes back to the three. Batman has responsibility as he taught people that their are no rules by fighting outside the law, in one scene he even asks Alfred if he brought it down upon her, and he did in a way.

Dent blames himself for letting Rachel get killed. He was the closest to her so he should have known that he wasn't just bringing the heat down on himself.

Then he looks to Gordon...

Gordon: I know, I was here, trying to save her.
Two-Face: But you didn't!
Gordon: I couldn't!
Two-Face: Yes, you could have. If you had listened to me...if you stood up against corruption...instead of doing your deal with the devil!
Gordon: I was trying to fight the mob!

Two-Face refers to Batman as the Devil. Interesting, he blames all of this on Batman.

So Batman didn’t exactly kill people we know this but he does share in some remote responsibility for the creation of the person who did. He crossed the line first and escalation occurred.

It makes me wonder, is Batman forced into a totalitarian position?

He wanted to pass on his mantle to Dent but he can’t, not just because of what happens to Dent, but because if he did someone evil might take up the mantle. He is therefore cursed and can never hang up the cape. Not only that but he has to now prevent more escalation, stop others from crossing the line. The machine at the end is just a symbol of how the position is too much power for one man.

So we see in the commentary on vigilantism a break down of the modern idea of hero, and therefore superhero. They are all just men after all.

Dent is the self made man, he makes his own luck remember, and he has a belief that all men can make themselves good or bad by their work, nature not nurture. Two-face on the other hand doesn’t agree that all men are animals (or monsters, I believe that animals behave better than human beings sometimes) as the Joker believes. He has stopped believing in a good or bad nature of men, rather in nurture.

Two-Face: It's not about what I want! It's about what's FAIR! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel. And the only morality in a cruel world... is chance...unbiased, unprejudiced, and fair. His son's got the same chance she had: 50/50.

To him men just do what they do based on what fate has handed them. No longer does he make his own luck, the luck makes him. He sees in all men a little good and a little bad, we are all guilty now.

Batman: What happened to Rachel wasn't chance. We decided to act. We three.

In the end Batman becomes a hero not just because he inspires. The modern conception of a hero breaks down as the Dark Knight shows us that people are fallible even through the myth we create around them. Batman becomes more than a “hero” as he makes a sacrifice out of his love for the people. Although they maybe good or bad he still sees the possibility of a better future for them. In taking on Harvey’s crimes or his burden, he not only prevents all the criminals that Harvey put away from being re-released but makes an example of himself, not to take the law into your own hands.

If Batman had given in to the Jokers demands he would have saved a few lives, but after he was unmasked the joker would have killed him and he would have died a hero. After that the Joker would have taken control of the city and many more would die. Instead Batman maintains control of the city. He lives long enough to become the villain.

He is the hero we can’t see. Can you avenge evil without becoming it?

Anyways, thought provoking film me thinks.

Harvey is late in joining Rachel at the Maroni trial
Bruce is late in joining Harvey at the party

-TNC

I wrote this on another thread

I love this dialogue.

"Harvey: We did. All of us who let scum like Maroni take over our city. In Rome, they would elect one man to watch over and protect their city.

Rachel: Harvey, the last person the Romans elected was a guy named Caesar and he never gave up his power."

hmmm if not for political corruption I wonder why Caesar didn't give up his power?

It is interesting to me that some people get hung up on the fact that this is derive from a comic mat I remind some that so was Road to Perdition and a History of Violence and lets not forget V.

Some get hung up on Batman vs. the Joker, its not just about that as much as the effect of Batman has on the city and the world. In the Long Halloween it isn't the Joker who creates a world without rules, he does gain power because the world without rules has been created.

Its the same here...

There's no going back. You've changed things... forever.

I remember that scene where Mrs. Gordon finds out that her husband is dead and she creams at Batman, "You brought this upon us!"

I wonder who is really responsible for all the anarchy? Who crossed the line first? Who is responsible?

Batman inspired people to do good, but he also showed them that human law whether it be law enforcement or organized crime.

Bank Manager: "The criminals in this town used to believe in things: honor, respect! Look at you. What do you believe in, huh?"

It is interesting to note that cops and the mob have a lot in common, the departed blurred the lines between cop and criminal and this does the same with good and bad people. The mob believes the anarchist will bring things back to normal and Gordon thinks that his use of a vigilante will bring things back to normal. Even Batman believes it, he thinks that he can just hang his cape up and it will go back to normal.

Joker: "Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak--like me."

But how can it go back to normal? Once one man successfully goes above the law what’s to stop another from doing it, one with a much different moral code.

"Fake Batman: What gives you the right? What's the difference between you and me?!
Batman: I'm not wearing hockey pads."

The only difference is the money. Brian Douglas has the same right as any of us to take up the mantle of the Bat. But Bruce wants it to be Dent, a Self made man within the law.

Brian the Fake batman is an interesting part of the film as I think in a way he represents us the batman fan. In a way everyone who read Batman as a kid wanted to be Batman. And so did he.

His character brings an interesting view point to the movie as it shows one of the many ways that Batman has inspired, or maybe affected is a better word, the city.

Batman inspired people to vote for good men to public office, this can be seen in Dent. Batman inspired people like Brian to become vigilantes like him and Batman also inspired....

Joker: Tell them your name.
Brian Douglas: Brian Douglas.
Joker: Are you the real Batman?
Brian Douglas: N-no.
Joker: No? No? Then why do you dress up like him? Woo, hoo hoo hoo!
Brian Douglas: He's a symbol that we don't have to be afraid of scum like you.
Joker: Yeah... you do, Brian. YOU REALLY DO. Yeah...
Joker: Shh shh shh shh. So you think Batman's made Gotham a better place? Hm? Look at me... LOOK AT ME! You see this is how crazy Batman's made Gotham. You want order in Gotham? Batman must take off his mask and turn himself in. Oh, and everyday he doesn't, people will die... starting tonight. I'm a man of my word.

...The Joker.

The Batman is responsible for the Joker.

Dent isn't crazy at the end of the film, he looks for justice, for those involved in killing Rachel. He gets the mob, the police, the joker, and then he comes back to the three. Batman has responsibility as he taught people that their are no rules by fighting outside the law, in one scene he even asks Alfred if he brought it down upon her, and he did in a way.

Dent blames himself for letting Rachel get killed. He was the closest to her so he should have known that he wasn't just bringing the heat down on himself.

Then he looks to Gordon...

Gordon: I know, I was here, trying to save her.
Two-Face: But you didn't!
Gordon: I couldn't!
Two-Face: Yes, you could have. If you had listened to me...if you stood up against corruption...instead of doing your deal with the devil!
Gordon: I was trying to fight the mob!

Two-Face refers to Batman as the Devil. Interesting, he blames all of this on Batman.

So Batman didn’t exactly kill people we know this but he does share in some remote responsibility for the creation of the person who did. He crossed the line first and escalation occurred.

It makes me wonder, is Batman forced into a totalitarian position?

He wanted to pass on his mantle to Dent but he can’t, not just because of what happens to Dent, but because if he did someone evil might take up the mantle. He is therefore cursed and can never hang up the cape. Not only that but he has to now prevent more escalation, stop others from crossing the line. The machine at the end is just a symbol of how the position is too much power for one man.

So we see in the commentary on vigilantism a break down of the modern idea of hero, and therefore superhero. They are all just men after all.

Dent is the self made man, he makes his own luck remember, and he has a belief that all men can make themselves good or bad by their work, nature not nurture. Two-face on the other hand doesn’t agree that all men are animals (or monsters, I believe that animals behave better than human beings sometimes) as the Joker believes. He has stopped believing in a good or bad nature of men, rather in nurture.

Two-Face: It's not about what I want! It's about what's FAIR! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel. And the only morality in a cruel world... is chance...unbiased, unprejudiced, and fair. His son's got the same chance she had: 50/50.

To him men just do what they do based on what fate has handed them. No longer does he make his own luck, the luck makes him. He sees in all men a little good and a little bad, we are all guilty now.

Batman: What happened to Rachel wasn't chance. We decided to act. We three.

In the end Batman becomes a hero not just because he inspires. The modern conception of a hero breaks down as the Dark Knight shows us that people are fallible even through the myth we create around them. Batman becomes more than a “hero” as he makes a sacrifice out of his love for the people. Although they maybe good or bad he still sees the possibility of a better future for them. In taking on Harvey’s crimes or his burden, he not only prevents all the criminals that Harvey put away from being re-released but makes an example of himself, not to take the law into your own hands.

If Batman had given in to the Jokers demands he would have saved a few lives, but after he was unmasked the joker would have killed him and he would have died a hero. After that the Joker would have taken control of the city and many more would die. Instead Batman maintains control of the city. He lives long enough to become the villain.

He is the hero we can’t see. Can you avenge evil without becoming it?

Anyways, thought provoking film me thinks.
Mind if I copy this only the political observations thread? It's a nice read. :yay:

Anyhow, I think when Dent says Gordon "made a deal with the devil," I interpreted it as not working with Batman, but working with corrupt cops in his department. Dent had investigated Wuertz and Ramirez and he didn't trust them. Gordon felt he had to, because he needs to "work with what he has." He gambled, and he lost, since both eventually betrayed Rachel and Harvey.

Batman is also partly forced into a totalitarian position, but it's not quite the same thing. He doesn't have political aspirations - all he wants is for people to stop hurting society. He wants the system to work on its own. It is a paradox that in order to do this, he has to bend the rules of society, but there we go.

Also, Dent, Gordon, and Batman feel responsible for Rachel's death, but I believe that Joker manipulated them for feeling that way. I don't think he meant for Rachel to live at all, no matter who went to rescue her.

Nobody except Rachel witnessed it, but Rachel was in a wholly dark warehouse, completely surrounded by gas cans. It would have taken some effort to find her in there, let alone physically get to her. This is probably why even though Rachel's been awake longer than Harvey, she hasn't found any means of escape.

In contrast, the room that Harvey was in was fully lit, and he had quite a bit of room around him to maneuver. When Batman bursts into the room, he can easily find Harvey, run over and get him out.

The Joker rigged his "little game" so that Rachel would die and Harvey would live. But nobody knows this but him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"