Infinity War Did Infinity War surpass The Avengers (2012) ?

The bit with strange and maw going at it was about a minitue tops, in the main it was tony and spidey vs the big thing. he also made strange look incredibly weak, I get it he's powerful, but a little more too and throw wouldn't of gone a miss.

The bit with strange and maw going at it was about a minitue tops, in the main it was tony and spidey vs the big thing. he also made strange look incredibly weak, I get it he's powerful, but a little more too and throw wouldn't of gone a miss.

If the fight was twice as long between Strange and Maw I definitely would not complain. Like maybe they could showcase Strange using different types of abilities that wouldn't be in the thanos fight for example so it wouldn't feel repetitive. I have no problem with that. However I think the fact that it didn't take that long for Maw to take down Strange makes him all the more menacing. So I'm glad that Maw made Strange look weak. With Proxima and Glaive they basically get owned at every turn and that's boring. Maw is the standard by which every other member of the Black Order should have reached in terms of danger and menace.

liked the film a lot better than the past two avengers films AOU/CW but not better than the original mostly due to the script and some strange directorial choices.

Yes. I love the Avengers they've added and Cap has a beard and not that horrid costume with a hood.

I don't see A4 being better than IW, I just don't. Just like there was no way on this earth that Jedi was going to top Empire.

Avengers 4 I see being closer to ROTK. Which if I had to pick a favorite LOTR film, it is that one.

I have only seen the first half of Infinity Wars

I say yes because of the raw emotional punch of IW, the higher stakes and the jaw-dropping Thor moments. But it only edges the first Avengers slightly. Whedon's Avengers was pure magic to me and I'll never forget how I felt watching it for the first time.

I also disagree with whoever said the humor was better in IW. Avengers did it best.

Both are great movies though with great villains. They are not only my two favorite Marvel flicks but my two favorite CBMs ever.

I'm not so much comparing the fights in the two movies to each other - I just felt like AIW didn't live up to my expectations. I thought there would be a whole lot more "team work" moments to geek out to. Not to mention I waited all movie long for Thor to get to Wakanda and then the Russo's rolled out the usual electric ground slam.

Dr. Strange had the best fights IMO - something I never would have thought.

Oh yeah but most of that boils down to the seperated nature of the team memebers in this film, they were never together for long.

I also agree on the Thor ground slam, they could've done better than that. Especially after Ragnarok, as a matter of fact I don't think anyone will top Taika's inventive approach to Thor's fighting style.

Oh yeah but most of that boils down to the seperated nature of the team memebers in this film, they were never together for long.

I also agree on the Thor ground slam, they could've done better than that. Especially after Ragnarok, as a matter of fact I don't think anyone will top Taika's inventive approach to Thor's fighting style.

If you really think about it - the teamwork we saw in The Avengers didn't happen after them spending a lot of time together either.

But ya, I figured the Russos were ripe to follow in Taika's footsteps as far as giving us something creative like the fight on the Rainbow Bridge in Ragnarok. Then he lept into the air and I'm thinking "Here weeeee goooooo!", but it was over in a jiff.

Last edited:
If you really think about it - the teamwork we saw in The Avengers didn't happen after them spending a lot of time together either.

But ya, I figured the Russos were ripe to follow in Taika's footsteps as far as giving us something creative like the fight on the Rainbow Bridge in Ragnarok. Then he lept into the air and I'm thinking "Here weeeee goooooo!", but it was over in a jiff.

I meant the entire team was never together in one place in this film.

They literally team worked to beat Courvous and Proxima, and team worked once again to beat Thanos on Titan.

Avengers and it's an easy decision here. It's simply a tighter film and naturally doesn't have to navigate a logjam of characters or essentially being "two parts" like IW does.

Don't get me wrong - I like the film, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on. The more I watch IW the more I feel rushed. I'm also still a bit let down by the fight sequences, which I thought were in good hands with the Russos.

I agree. Tighter film & didn't have the pressure to take on as many characters as IW. I was let down by the Wakanda battle. The highlight of it of course was when Thor arrived and slayed but other than that it felt too rushed to me.

I think the best comic book movies have villains that push the heroes to their absolute limits.

My favourite comic book movies
1. The Dark Knight - Joker
2. SM2 - Doc Ock
3. Infinity War - Thanos
4. Winter Soldier - Winter Solider
5. Black Panther - Killmonger

Avengers - Loki
He is a charismatic villain but he doesn't challenge the heroes and bring the threat like the above do.

Infinity War definitely takes the win for me. The Avengers still doesn't do much for me. It didn't when it first came out when I was a hardcore Nolanite who thought it was just cartoony popcorn fun. It still doesn't even though I have really come to appreciate a lot of the MCU's offerings. It was 2014 when the MCU first really grabbed my attention with the one-two punch of The Winter Soldier and Guardians. Upon reflection, Iron Man 1 and The First Avenger are for me the real gems of Phase 1.

Have to agree with all that. Avengers was entertaining but otherwise just another cbm, TWS and GOTG really sucked me into the MCU, and IW has a wonderful balance of light and dark, even though darkness triumph.

The last 30 minutes of Avengers is great, but there's a lot of dross to sit through to ger there. Personally I preferred Age of Ultron to Avengers, but it doesn't hold a candle to Civil War or IW.
If IW has a fault it's not having enough Cap, but I can look past that because they put so much time into Thanos , and if its anyone's film it's his.

Last edited:
I have only seen the first half of Infinity Wars

But you've seen all of the IW. This was THE Infinity War - the war for the Infinity Stones. It had the war for them going on - in NY, on Titan and at Wakanda. The whole film managed to contain the WHOLE battle for these Stones.

A4 will be the aftermath of that war and the Avengers trying to fix what Thanos did.

Sure, both films serve as 2 parts of one big story, but IW was pretty much self-contained. It had a beginning and an end. So saying you've only seen the first part (in my opinion, ofc) is not a valid excuse to not rate the film, compared to the other Avengers films.

But you've seen all of the IW. This was THE Infinity War - the war for the Infinity Stones. It had the war for them going on - in NY, on Titan and at Wakanda. The whole film managed to contain the WHOLE battle for these Stones.

A4 will be the aftermath of that war and the Avengers trying to fix what Thanos did.

Sure, both films serve as 2 parts of one big story, but IW was pretty much self-contained. It had a beginning and an end. So saying you've only seen the first part (in my opinion, ofc) is not a valid excuse to not rate the film, compared to the other Avengers films.

In that case it felt like half a movie. In the bottom half of the MCU and future movies will determine if Infinity War joins my home library or is something I spend some minutes on when it rotates to free commercial supposed TV. Where as The Avengers disc is on my book case

It has for me. I love Avengers as well and it's in my top 5. This is just a different beast altogether and checks all the boxes for me. IW just hits u harder and leaves lingering thoughts for days after initial watch. Avengers was a fun ride and when you're done, u go line up for the next ride. With IW, it's fun but it drained the heck out of u so much that you're gonna need a minute. Lol.

I'd say no. I agree with the OP. Iron Man is still my #1, Avengers is my #2 and IW is now my #3 supplanting CW.

Am I the only one that sees Infinity War as the least of the Avenger films?

Still amazing but bronze medal (at least until the unofficial "part II" cleans up Infinity War)

(1) The Avengers
(2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
(3) Captain America: Civil War
(4) Avengers: Age of Ultron
(5) Avengers: Infinity War

:drl:

Am I the only one that sees Infinity War as the least of the Avenger films?

Still amazing but bronze medal (at least until the unofficial "part II" cleans up Infinity War)

(1) The Avengers
(2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
(3) Captain America: Civil War
(4) Avengers: Age of Ultron
(5) Avengers: Infinity War

:drl:

I won't feel complete (or at least I hope to) until I see A4. The ending of A3 feels disjointed because the heroes didn't win anything. I would've liked the ending better had the heroes somehow made a choice that both gained something, but at the same time unknowingly allowed Thanos his "snap" moment.

Instead we got a series of very dramatic, heat of the moment stupid decisions and then awkward deaths.

Last edited:
IW easily passed The Avengers for me. I value nostalgia but that movie pales in comparison to what IW has brought to the MCU.

But I may be biased because I was never a Joss Whedon fan. His rendition of the Avengers reminds me too much of a Saturday Morning Cartoon whereas IW brought some serious stakes and suspense during my viewing experience.

The Avengers still has one of the best and most iconic scene in MCU (Avengers formation) but overall, IW has more memorable scenes.

IW easily passed The Avengers for me. I value nostalgia but that movie pales in comparison to what IW has brought to the MCU.

But I may be biased because I was never a Joss Whedon fan. His rendition of the Avengers reminds me too much of a Saturday Morning Cartoon whereas IW brought some serious stakes and suspense during my viewing experience.

The Avengers still has one of the best and most iconic scene in MCU (Avengers formation) but overall, IW has more memorable scenes.

Whedon's take on Ultron infuriated me. A robot set on ending life on earth cracking jokes. Marvel are well rid. I don't rate Avengers either, a snorefest of a second act and elements that make no sense like a murderous Hulk on the Helicarrier but is in full control in the battle of New York. I've heard explanations but if it's not in the movie that's poor story telling.

Whedon's take on Ultron infuriated me. A robot set on ending life on earth cracking jokes. Marvel are well rid. I don't rate Avengers either, a snorefest of a second act and elements that make no sense like a murderous Hulk on the Helicarrier but is in full control in the battle of New York. I've heard explanations but if it's not in the movie that's poor story telling.

I have to agree. Age of Ultron was a massive disappointment, and I honestly hated the film (probably way more than most people do lol). I still to this day think people still don't realize how lackluster it truly was. Not only was the script a mess but even the more blockbustery aspects of the film were downgraded. One of the things I especially hate is how Joss Whedon made quicksilver so lackluster and didn't even allow someone more competent to give their take on him in the future. He made superspeed, one of the coolest powers, boring as hell. And I'm not talking about having quicksilver be around the level of speed he is in the comics. Hell his flash sucked in Justice League as well. He just does not get superspeed. Like look at how cool Dash was in the Incredibles (yeah it is an animation and easier to create but still). Look how creative they were with how Dash used superspeed. There are a ton of more ways to show superspeed than boring slowmotion shots. But that's just my opinion. When it comes to the original Avengers I do still love it and think that its battles alone are really creative in the way they handle each character and give them something to do. (I will still say those continuous shots are genius...even the one in Age of Ultron.) Also the original Avengers had a certain heart to it that I'll admit even Infinity War didn't have since the characters weren't together as much.

For me though I think Infinity war is the best Avengers film so far because of Thanos, the stakes, and the story.

1. Avengers: Infinity War

2. Avengers

3. A rock

4. Watching a toilet flush

5. Watching Iron Fist

14372278. Age of Ultron

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members