First Avenger Did the fact there was hardly any real Nazis in this film hurt it?

The times can't be too different if Raiders and Last Crusade are still looked on as beloved classics rather than offensive.

I wonder how future Cap villains will be treated: AIM, Modok, Machinesmith, Flag Smasher, Crossbones, Sin, Serpent Society, Count Nefaria, etc.

...On the other hand, Hydra were a division of the Nazi's before RS severed the ties, so technically there were plenty of Nazi's in it and, it was a great film.

...On the other hand, Hydra were a division of the Nazi's before RS severed the ties, so technically there were plenty of Nazi's in it and, it was a great film.

How were they Nazis? They didn't say anything racist and they didn't serve Hitler's dream of a greater German Reich. They were bland cartoon villains, not real Nazis.

Last edited:
The SS in real life gots its orders independent of the command structure of the regular german army, it was a point of contention and resulted in a poor response to the Normandy landings. HYDRA seemed to be set up the same way and as the war continued to go downhill Skull went more rogue. I can imagine him using some units for regualr german ops while conserving forces for his own motives. I bet he sent Berlin a message stating that those three guys he killed were caught in an air raid. HYDRA had the nazi ideology. The nazi's were notorious for hijacking mythology and using it for their own propaganda purposes. Their interest in the norse mythology(during the occupation of Norway they constantly tried to subdue the people by talking about their shared lineage)was true. All of this is explained in Erskine's conversation with Steve. Skull completely bought into Hitler's ramblings about German destiny and norse mythology. Yes, these guys were nazis. I had no problem with it. I liked the costume's because of their retro futuristic pulpy look.

The SS in real life gots its orders independent of the command structure of the regular german army, it was a point of contention and resulted in a poor response to the Normandy landings. HYDRA seemed to be set up the same way and as the war continued to go downhill Skull went more rogue. I can imagine him using some units for regualr german ops while conserving forces for his own motives. I bet he sent Berlin a message stating that those three guys he killed were caught in an air raid. HYDRA had the nazi ideology. The nazi's were notorious for hijacking mythology and using it for their own propaganda purposes. Their interest in the norse mythology(during the occupation of Norway they constantly tried to subdue the people by talking about their shared lineage)was true. All of this is explained in Erskine's conversation with Steve. Skull completely bought into Hitler's ramblings about German destiny and norse mythology. Yes, these guys were nazis. I had no problem with it. I liked the costume's because of their retro futuristic pulpy look.

I don't think Hitler would ever send resources to a weapons division that hadn't produced a single weapon for him for its entire existence.

Hydra agents never seemed to say anything racist or expressed Hitler's racist policies. Red Skull being directed involved in the crimes of the Third Reich makes him far more of scary villain then this silly plan to blow up Germany and America with energy bombs. The Nazis are defined far more by their racism then they are their interest in Norse Mythology. Hydra seemed like silly villains who were interested in Norse Mythology, not the hate filled and evil Nazis seen in WWII.

Sure he would. We used to call those atomic weapon projects.

I just didn't see the need for Hydra. Why not just have Red Skull be a high ranking Nazi commanding the SS like in the comics?

Except red Skull promised a bunch of weapons right away, which is why Hitler sent those Nazis to check on up on him. Red Skull got a unlimited resources for a year, with almost no real progress reports or oversight from the Nazis. That doesn't sound like something Hitler would do.

Except red Skull promised a bunch of weapons right away, which is why Hitler sent those Nazis to check on up on him. Red Skull got a unlimited resources for a year, with almost no real progress reports or oversight from the Nazis. That doesn't sound like something Hitler would do.

The Gestapo was notoriously bad at police work and intelligence gathering, yet Adolph kept them around. He tended to give subordinates more leeway then you would excpect from a meglomaniac. Skull has bigger plans than the nazis, thats canon and was consistent in the movie. He wanted to be the "superior man". The ideology was consistent with the nazis. He became fixated on one peice of Hitler's dream. You have to be careful when using nazis in movies. Go overboard and you get "iron Sky".

Last edited:
The Gestapo was notoriously bad at police work and intelligence gathering, yet Adolph kept them around. He tended to give subordinates more leeway then you would excpect from a meglomaniac. Skull has bigger plans than the nazis, thats canon and was consistent in the movie. He wanted to be the "superior man". The ideology was consistent with the nazis. He became fixated on one peice of Hitler's dream. You have to be careful when using nazis in movies. Go overboard and you get "iron Sky".

Iron Sky seems more enjoyable then the Captain America movie was, even though its a comedy.

The fact is even though Red Skull in the comics had dreams of displacing Hitler, he had far subtle plans for achieving that goal then movie red Skull, who seemed to just wanted to blow up Germany and USA with lasers, making him an enemy of both the Third Reich and the Allies. That's just stupid. Plus in the comics, Red Skull was always a racist psychopath in this movie we never see this, he is another generic power mad mad villain, that makes him less unique, not more.

It made it very generic.

I really like Captain America but it lacks edge, and I think that's largely due to the fact that they neutered the conflict which would've otherwise been very emotional for people. So the movie just became a actioner, with a superhero and otherwise not much of a stand out film. So yes, I think it took away from the movie.

I just didn't see the need for Hydra. Why not just have Red Skull be a high ranking Nazi commanding the SS like in the comics?
I understood bringing in Hydra, as they would be better villains for future movies. I would've rather seen Hydras humble beginnings though, and like you said, have Red Skull be high ranking SS rather than all wrapped up completely in HYDRA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"