The Winter Soldier Will this Captain America Movie be more serious then the last one?

Have read any actual 40s Cap comics? I am not talking about Brubaker flashbacks to the 40s. I am talking about straight 40s Cap comics. Authentic reprints or whatever. Those comics were not WWII period pieces either. Cap's comics have always been superhero books with a WWII dressing, and that is what TFA was. This was never going to be Saving Private Ryan guys. Sorry if you expected it. We were never gonna get it.

Some people seem unwilling to accept that Captain America is a superhero/science fantasy series that isn't meant to accurately reflect actual events during World War II. The focus is always going to be on Cap's battles with his own fictional foes, rather than on realistic depictions of Nazis, their atrocities or actual WWII battles. One critic for the Village Voice even derided CATFA for not showing Cap liberating Nazi death camps and ending the Holocaust. :whatever: I had an argument with someone here who was pissed that the Howling Commandos were an integrated unit at a time when the US Army was segregated, yet he wanted the movie to be like Inglorious Basterds and show Cap killing Hitler and his top generals. :doh:

Long story short: Captain America is always going to fight fictional villains from the comic book universe because these are superhero films, not straight war movies or adaptations of real battles.

It seems like people want Cap to be what they think he should be as opposed to what he actually is.

I think a "gritty" Cap movie would've been all right, but if you had an inkling of the previous projects Johnston had worked on before, we weren't getting Saving Private Rogers. We were getting a CBM in the vein of Indiana Jones/The Rocketeer (which is, in an of itself a CBM). And the stuff with HYDRA was pretty germane to the old Cap comics.

I found CA:TFA had a ton of heart, and that as well as the acting made up for any flaws for me. It's definitely the most charming, most emotional of the solo Avenger outings for my count. I'm glad that, as time passes, more and more people seem to think that way too.

You have Cap fighting Red Skull and have fun with it while still being somewhat realistic with reality, most modern writers who give their take on Cap's years during WWII allways give it a lot of depht, and origins like Red Skull: Incarnate try to be mature with the content they're portraying. I think the first half of Captain America was amazing, but the 2nd was very weak, that along with Red Skull being painfully generic and boring are my main problems with it.

Have read any actual 40s Cap comics? I am not talking about Brubaker flashbacks to the 40s. I am talking about straight 40s Cap comics. Authentic reprints or whatever. Those comics were not WWII period pieces either. Cap's comics have always been superhero books with a WWII dressing, and that is what TFA was. This was never going to be Saving Private Ryan guys. Sorry if you expected it. We were never gonna get it.

Maybe I think Captain America was better written in the 70s and 80s, where Cap did addressed real issues and Red Skull was a real Nazi, rather then a generic "anti America" villain. Maybe I just think Captain America comics from the Bronze age were better written then the ones from the Golden Age and since I grew up with the Bronze Age comics, I wanted to see a more serious and thoughtful Captain America movie, with a horrifying Red Skull.

If Winter solider is just going to be an extremely generic super hero movie, rather then something reflecting the more serious Captain America stories out there, then I don't want to see it.

It seems like people want Cap to be what they think he should be as opposed to what he actually is.

Define "how he is", because he is written differently in different eras.

I personally prefer the Bronze age Cap, that dealt with more real issues and had a truly evil Red Skull, that is just as valid a interpretation as the Golden or Silver Age Cap.

And I think making Red Skull a generic power mad villain rather then a truly hate filled villain has already watered him down. I just don't like "generic pulp villain" Red Skull, I think he is boring.

And Golden Age Captain America had real Nazis and real guns.

Last edited:
So did Captain America: The First Avenger. Granted Red Skull shot the two nazis the movie did have. Hydra is still a Nazi branch. It's just a branch that grows bigger than the tree it came from. Marvel did something similar with The Ten Rings in Iron Man (the symmetry between both movies is astounding).

My favorite Cap is Brubaker Cap so I'm looking forward to this movie. I do like that CA: TFA was golden age Cap, though, and that made for a fun movie. With that said, I would love to eventually see a more fleshed out Red Skull in the future.

This weak villan in CA:TFA is what dragged the movie down for me. I wanted a fleshed out Red Skull and if no that then at least an epic fight scene. I thought the last confrontation between them was very anticlimatic. Otherwise, I enjoyed the pulp tone and feel it could have worked. I am sure the new movie will change the tone just as the world is different in tone then it was in the 1940's.

So did Captain America: The First Avenger. Granted Red Skull shot the two nazis the movie did have. Hydra is still a Nazi branch. It's just a branch that grows bigger than the tree it came from. Marvel did something similar with The Ten Rings in Iron Man (the symmetry between both movies is astounding).

My favorite Cap is Brubaker Cap so I'm looking forward to this movie. I do like that CA: TFA was golden age Cap, though, and that made for a fun movie. With that said, I would love to eventually see a more fleshed out Red Skull in the future.

Considering the Ten Rings didn't really get a payoff in Iron Man 3, I don't think they are the best example. At least the Ten Rings used real guns.

Is there any evidence that Hydra has the same racial policies that the Nazis have and if the Nazis were about German nationalism and Hitler's cult of personality, Hydra attacking Nazi Germany wouldn't make them Nazis, now would it.

I think the fact I'm a WWII history buff, means I just don't like the Mickey Mouse version of WWII we get in First Avengers. I just don't laser guns for that reason, they seem out of place in a story set during WWII and frankly I have never heard of a 40s pulp story where the bad guys had laser guns instead of real guns.

I'm nor sure if the can take the generic megalomaniac Red Skull from First Avenger and make him into the truly hate filled, racist psychopath he has been in the comics for the past 30 or 40 years and not make it seem forced? If Red Skull and Hydra were still Nazis, where is the racism and the hatred on their part? We never saw any of that in First Avenger. The Indiana Jones movies handled their Nazi villains better, because they were still Nazis.

I really don't care if Red Skull never returns at this point, that's how little impact he left with me and Hugo Weaving seems to feel the same way.

I actually liked Cap himself in that film, but the weak villains really brought down the film for me.

Just like I hoped the first film would have stuck to a real WWII feel, I hope this new film sticks with a real political thriller tone and not make it a generic super hero movie, with generic bad guys wielding laser guns.

If the Movie has a strong story,
Then, I dont care if they throw in some lasers.

Maybe I think Captain America was better written in the 70s and 80s, where Cap did addressed real issues and Red Skull was a real Nazi, rather then a generic "anti America" villain. Maybe I just think Captain America comics from the Bronze age were better written then the ones from the Golden Age and since I grew up with the Bronze Age comics, I wanted to see a more serious and thoughtful Captain America movie, with a horrifying Red Skull.

If Winter solider is just going to be an extremely generic super hero movie, rather then something reflecting the more serious Captain America stories out there, then I don't want to see it.

TFA wasn't a bonze age movie. Cap is a hero that went through a massive evolution during his tenure as a character. You seem too attached to one particular era, which doesn't encompass his whole history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"