Did you connect emotionally to this film?

I don't think it's stronger for the genre than typical. Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, pretty much every Batman movie were all better. Now if by genre you mean the next tier down of known superheros (which would inclue Dare Devil, Fantastic Four, etc) then yea. However, Thor isn't more emotional than most good superhero movies. Maybe the more popcorn explosion and laughs recent marvel stuff that they do so well like Iron Man, but it's really not that emotional at all.

Hopkins is such a strong actor that he brings everyone up in the father/sons story and that's awesome. The love story flat out sucks and Thor getting the hammer back is pretty cliche. I know it's part of his story, but that doesn't mean it's not cliche. Spoiled brat gets something taken away, learns his lesson, gets it back. The scene where he gets Mjilnor back seriously reminded me of Beauty and the Beast. He dies, she (very badly) cries and is sad over him, he gets his power and life back, whirlwind of magical sparkly stuff, he gets his old look back, she is more "in love" with him than ever. What a crock of S*** I can't describe how much I hated the love stuff. It reminded me of how my junior high cousins see life. She was physically attracted to him and she was the only moderately attractive human he saw. Such a superficial relationship that I didn't buy any of the stuff at the end about Thor missing her. Really REALLY brought the movie down and was a waste of time.

I don't think it's stronger for the genre than typical. Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, pretty much every Batman movie were all better. Now if by genre you mean the next tier down of known superheros (which would inclue Dare Devil, Fantastic Four, etc) then yea. However, Thor isn't more emotional than most good superhero movies. Maybe the more popcorn explosion and laughs recent marvel stuff that they do so well like Iron Man, but it's really not that emotional at all.

There are far more emotional tones/undertones than any of those movies you listed. It's not even close .... and to put it in the tier of Dare Devil and FF4 is bloody absurd.

Hopkins is such a strong actor that he brings everyone up in the father/sons story and that's awesome. The love story flat out sucks and Thor getting the hammer back is pretty cliche. I know it's part of his story, but that doesn't mean it's not cliche. Spoiled brat gets something taken away, learns his lesson, gets it back.

How else do you attempt to get the audience to relate to the character other than to strip him of what makes him different. :doh:

The scene where he gets Mjilnor back seriously reminded me of Beauty and the Beast. He dies, she (very badly) cries and is sad over him, he gets his power and life back, whirlwind of magical sparkly stuff, he gets his old look back, she is more "in love" with him than ever. What a crock of S*** I can't describe how much I hated the love stuff. It reminded me of how my junior high cousins see life. She was physically attracted to him and she was the only moderately attractive human he saw. Such a superficial relationship that I didn't buy any of the stuff at the end about Thor missing her. Really REALLY brought the movie down and was a waste of time.

Anyone who mentions the word "love" in relation to what transpired between Jane and Thor clearly is imposing a non-existent theme. Were they enchanted with each other? Yes.

On the contrary that scene with Heimdall looking out and telling Thor "she searches" for you is a very heart warming scene. Except when you base your theater experience on junior high school girls. :cwink:

Last edited:
Not really. Portman was godawful. Like, they need to Katie Holmes her before another film is made bad. The love story was forced and high school. "O hi Thor, you're hot, I'm attracted to you" "O hi human lady, you like stars and stuff and even though you have a shapeless body, your face is cute, I like you too" that's basically the depth of it. Had they written out the "love" story and focused more on the amazing Loki story, it would have been awesome.

I DID connect emotionally with everything they did with Ki and Thor. I felt bad for LoKi. The love story severely dragged the movie down though. The scene when Thor gets the hammer back was pretty cliche and borderline goofy. Pretty much Beauty and the Beast.

More Loki/Thor and I'd love this movie, instead it's just "good".

The "love" story was NOT FORCED!!! I can't believe how many people are saying this! Go on Chris Hemsworth's IMDb page and look at the posts... They're all about how hot he is. And a nerd who lives with her two friends in a trailer like Jane Foster would probably find him more attractive than those girls. It was only at the end, when she found out he was who he said he was (A freaking GOD), that pushed her over the edge. Not unrealistic at all, and NOT forced. Thor obviously didn't show as much attraction as Jane did, but he was still interested in her. Which also makes sense. He was sent to earth to learn humanity, Jane taught it to him, he was grateful, and she was pretty.

Please explain to me how it was forced? Maybe it happened in too short a time period, but that doesn't make it forced, it makes it a little less realistic, but not forced.

Some people won't emotionally connect to the film because they are not capable of connecting. Emotional maturity is not something u just click on

The romance angle was essentially a flipping of the usual transformers-like model(dorky/nerdy guy falls for a really hot girl). It was nice to see hollywood switch gears for a change because we've seen waaaaay to much of the usual TF-like model. Unless you're watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you never get to see the opposite.

I did a bit because of the relationship I have with my dad, heck when Thor said you're an old man and a fool my dad shot me a look as a joke, but he felt that scene, he actually was moved by a lot of it... Then again he's on full of pills since he's over 65.

Surprisingly, yes. During the first half at least. They set up Thor and Loki so well. I was really moved when Loki told Thor his father was dead, and Thor accepted his banishment. And I felt Thor's humiliation and frustration when he couldn't lift the hammer.

The first half feels really sincere. But the second half feels forced. Thor and Jane are so underdeveloped, but the movie asks us to really feel something for them at the end. I just couldn't do it.

My thoughts exactly!

I connected. A lot.

Loki shouting "TELL ME!" to Odin. You feel for the guy. And you feel for Odin as well.

Thor asking "Can I go home?" to Loki.

And that entire wonderful sequence that starts with Thor facing the Destroyer without his powers and ends with him defeating the metal monster. Just remembering that sequence is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Loki telling "I could have done it, father!" was heartbreaking. He sounds like a little boy in that scene.

Even the Foo Fighters song, I thought its lyrics were so powerful and true to the essence of what happened on the screen.

So yeah, um, I think Thor really moved me. :oldrazz:

Many scenes I emotionally connected to, even in the 2nd viewing. When Thor asks "Can I come up?" was one. Another big one for me was when Loki kept repeating "Is it!" when Thor confronts him just before that fight. That scene between Loki and Thor is just so AWESOME and layered. Very solidly done :up:

I REALLY can't wait to see what happens in First Avenger and Avengers.
....more thor more thor more thor...look into my avatar...you want to see more thor.....

:D

I REALLY can't wait to see what happens in First Avenger and Avengers.
....more thor more thor more thor...look into my avatar...you want to see more thor.....

:D

Me too, but my avatar is a bit more...sinister :cwink:

I think Thor will be a tough show for Cap to top. I would be happy if Cap turns out just as good as Thor :up:

I LOVE what I've seen of Cap as much as Thor! I have no idea what these "people" are having problems with over there SF. lol
BE FREAKING HAPPY CAP'S BEING MADE!!!!! I mean to be as picky as a few of them are is nuts.

I LOVE what I've seen of Cap as much as Thor! I have no idea what these "people" are having problems with over there SF. lol
BE FREAKING HAPPY CAP'S BEING MADE!!!!! I mean to be as picky as a few of them are is nuts.

TOTALLY agreed!!! Cap's been my #1 movie this year since it was first announced, LOL! I really think Evans is going to shock people as Cap. So many seem to doubt he can be as good as Hemms or RDJ, but I think he's going to deliver :cap:

So many things about the movie have me excited, LOL!

INDEED, I'm looking foreword to the easter eggs in Cap. I can't wait to see what they do other than that cigar shop in the past. lol

I felt little emotional connection, it was too brisk and signposted, but I did chuckle quite a few times... which is enough.

INDEED, I'm looking foreword to the easter eggs in Cap. I can't wait to see what they do other than that cigar shop in the past. lol

That is a big part of the fun of these films. All the little nods that only we fellow geeks catch :cwink:

Still wish Mr Kirby were alive today to see these characters on the silver screen, He'd be proud. :D

Still wish Mr Kirby were alive today to see these characters on the silver screen, He'd be proud. :D

Especially with Thor I think.:yay: I mean,imagine him seeing the F4 movies...he would have been like:doh:

hahaha Yeah yeah, tho I think if Doom were better he wouldn't have minded so much

Agreed,Doom's character is what ultimately ruins those movies,if only the film-makers treated him as MS treated Loki...I want a F4 movie with Dr Doom made by Marvel Studios.:csad:

Yeah I understand what Fox was TRYING to do with Doom, but that's just not Von Doom.
I mean the character influenced the creation of Darth Vader. sheesh.

I don't think Doom was that bad, but he was certainly toned down quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"