Digimon: Series Discussion

TheWiseGuy487

Feelin’ good (Undecided/still figuring out)
Reaction score
After seeing the Pokemon thread that was made in this board, I decided to devote an entire thread to talking about one of my favorite series growing up, Digimon.

I remember watching the first season on when it aired on Fox Kids for the very first time. I initially checked it out because I thought it was a Pokemon clone, but I ended up enjoying it even more. The characters, the world, the stories and the digivolutions got me hooked. I even watched the second season, though I don't remember much of that one.

My favorite of all them, though, by far, has to be Tamers.

To be honest, I don't remember much of this season when I first watched it. I probably caught most episodes, and I remember a plot thread here or there, but my childhood memories of this season are very foggy at best. It wasn't until recently watching a review of the show done by JesuOtaku that I became reacquainted with this particular season.

I think my reaction to the show can best be summed up with this:

:wow::wow::wow:

Maybe I was just too young to understand it at the time, but, HOLY CRAP, this series is DARK. And I mean "Near-Neon Genesis Evangelion" levels of dark. I'm surprised they managed to air this show on a programming block aimed solely at kids. Though, in retrospect, I'm glad they did.

It dealt with a lot of mature themes and moral issues that I don't think most prime television would even dare touch with a ten-foot pole. The world is far more realized than in the other Digimon series, not to mention that the characters feel less like the simple stereotypes portrayed in 01 and 02 and more like real people dealing with and overcoming real issues. Also, I think the fact that it was set more in the real-world, and the fact that characters could potentially die, and stay dead, (and they do) gave it a bit more of an edge, and the sense that there was a lot more at stake. As an adult, I appreciate this series so much more for it was able to accomplish.

Anyways, let the discussion begin! :yay:

Digimon and Pokémon was my childhood growing up. They were both epic and awesome. Digimon Seasons 1-4 were all epic and I watched all recently and they still hold up. I loved digivolution and there were some great episodes all around.

Season 3 definitely was a standout though they were all great.

I'm Re watching Advrntures right now and I still enjoy it. Plenty of serious things going on which is great. Adventues 02 was enjoyable but I would have rather had the original digi destine come back full time as opposed to introducing 3 new people while keeping 2 originals.

Season 3 was good but haven't really enjoyed anything after that. I desperately want the originals to come back for another season.

Season 2 had some weak moments I'll admit (everyone picking on Davis, WHY?) but overall it was good.

Season 4 was great, had great stories, loved the Digivolutions and absolutely loved the theme song. I had to make a video game for a senior project at the college I went to and I made a fighting game starring the team that made the game and we did a theme song that was based off of the Digimon Season 4 opening. Epic.

As a 10-11 year old, that 6 6 6 hour of the beast stuff with Myotismon was dark for a kid's show. :up:

Having Izzie be adopted, Sora only having a mother, Matt & T.K. having divorced parents who split them up is a lot of stuff you usually don't see in cartoons which was great.

Anybody catch of xros wars or whatever the new stuff is called? How is it?

One of my favorite shows growing up. I loved the first three seasons but lost interest in after that. Wasn't too crazy about it after Ty and that crew were gone but the season with Davis were alright.

Tamers is probably my favorite that season was super dark, especially the D-Reaper arc.

Oh definitely, tamers is the reason I remember digimon so fondly. The first two seasons are good...Davis not withstanding....but Tamers was on a whole other level.

Season 3 also had the coolest Digivolutions with a mixture of 2D and 3D animations.

Renamon was always my favorite.

Plus, it had one of the most heart-wrenching scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONnnQVlOqc
[YT]1ONnnQVlOqc[/YT]

You think your long-dead best friend has come back from the grave to save you from a seemingly hopeless situation, only to find out that your rescuer is none other than your best friend's killer.

"You're not Leomon."

I mean, just...damn. :csad:

I use the word "classic" a lot in my Pokémon thread but that totally applies to that scene, I sometimes tear up when I think of that scene. Him digging deep and pulling out the one move that can save her and mean the most to her.

.......sorry I'm tearing up I got to go....

I just noticed the Japanese and American versions of the Digimon cartoon are now on Netflix.

Now on Netflix. Hellz yeah.

Edit: how did I miss the post right above me?

Last edited:
I'm up to the episode where the bad-*** known as Leomon first appears. I was at tears when he met his demise when they went back to the Digital World.

Found out (via the Power Rangers topic of all things) that Digimon is coming back! It's appearing on Nick (as it's now owned by Saban) right after Megaforce.

Sept 6th at 12:30 Central Time.

I'm excited, it could be horrible, true, but until I say that, I'm excited.

Oh sorry! It's a new series! It's called Digimon Fusion.

Is it syndication of one of the older series or a new one?

The one debuting on Nick this September is a brand new series.

However, the original series is in syndication on Nicktoons. They just entered Season 2 of the original, and they air a "new" episode every week night at 8pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"