Discussion: Canadian Politics

Oh...

Uh...

I... I just think PR is neat is all. Like an Asian George Clooney in his prime.

giphy.gif

The other day I joked and said Jody Wilson-Raybould should be elected Speaker, but the more I think of it, the better of an idea it is. Everyone benefits: she knows Parliamentary procedure inside out, neither the Liberals, NDP or Conservatives lose a voting member they will badly need in a minority government, and it either boosts her profile for an eventual run for Premier of B.C. or it leaves the possibility for re-entry into the federal Liberal Party when the braying, squawking boy-child is finally sent off to the cornmaze.

I think Lenore Zann is a Liberal (i.e., the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League of Canadian political parties).

This is a fun game. If that is the Justin Liberals, then who are the comic book analogues for the Harper Conservatives, the Chretien/Martins Libs, or most fun, Pierre's Liberals? I would assume Pierre's Liberals would be some version of the X-Men given the brilliant, charismatic, bald leader and the fight against French/Mutant separatism/extremism... But it would need to be a version that involves a certain amount of arrogance and stubbornness...

This is a fun game. If that is the Justin Liberals, then who are the comic book analogues for the Harper Conservatives, the Chretien/Martins Libs, or most fun, Pierre's Liberals? I would assume Pierre's Liberals would be some version of the X-Men given the brilliant, charismatic, bald leader and the fight against French/Mutant separatism/extremism... But it would need to be a version that involves a certain amount of arrogance and stubbornness...

I think the Conservatives in general would be like a combination of the Minutemen and the Crimebusters from Watchmen. Pierre's Liberals would be like Squadron Supreme, the alt-Justice League from Marvel Comics. The Chretien/Martin Liberals would be like the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard.

I am no NDP supporter, but yeah, that's pretty much a bullseye right there.

For me, one of the major takeaways from the Trudeau blackface/brownface scandal is that to me, it shows Trudeau doesn't really know any racialized Canadians very well, either in his personal life or in his trusted professional circle. Otherwise, he'd have known how to handle that issue better before it came up in the middle of a federal election campaign.(!)

It's pure political theatre. Trudeau is still the drama kid at heart: he loves playing dress-up and he loves play-acting as someone who gives a damn about systemic problems that he refuses to address with the power of his office.

He did the same thing when he showed up to the climate strike in Montreal last fall and pretended to be concerned about climate change, at the very same time when he was doing everything he could to build a pipeline with billions of dollars of public money.

This tweet sums it up best:

Virtue signalling became such a calling card of this generation that it coalesced to become a person who became our Prime Minister.

Every politician "virtue signals" in some way, whether it's kissing babies, wrapping yourself in the flag, or pretending to support some cause and then doing nothing about it in office.

I prefer virtue signalling over someone who creates long-standing, detrimental policies (like Harper and Kenney).

Keep in mind he only has a minority government. Any substantial attempts at changes will be met with open hostility from the Conservatives.

The Rideau Hall double standard: Canada glosses over white terrorism

In case you weren’t aware, someone tried to assassinate the prime minister last week. A far right, white terrorist named Corey Hurren rammed through the parliament’s residency gates, heavily armed in search for Justin Trudeau. The police talked him down for two hours and then peacefully apprehended him. But this incident has barely made any waves in the Canadian media, demonstrating a clear double standard.

Although the RCMP has been particularly tight-lipped about any potential motivation, the 46 year old military reservist wrote about wanting to send a wake-up call to keep Canada from falling into a “communist dictatorship.” He also alluded to conspiracy theories that claim the COVID-19 pandemic is a hoax crafted by Bill Gates. Hurren drove all the way from Manitoba with two shotguns, a restricted revolver, and an automatic rifle.

If we compare this incident to the 2014 Parliament Hill shooting we clearly see a difference in both the response by the police and in the treatment of the case in the media. In 2014, all three major parties had published official statements condemning the attack within hours, but here, aside from brief statements from Trudeau and Scheer during otherwise unrelated press conferences, it’s hardly been acknowledged at all. This isn’t any accident. The 2014 shooting was carried out by a Muslim man, and had the utility of whipping up Islamophobia during a time where the federal government was seeking to exclude Syrian Muslims from Canada’s refugee program. On the other hand, last week’s incident coincided with an on-going movement against police brutality and gives credence to those pointing out systemic racism within Canadian police forces.

Yikes, apparently there's going to be some troubling incoming news about an important federal politician soon.

Someone else. Although with Trudeau it's never a bad guess.
So I typed in Canadian politician into Google to see what came up, and honestly it looked like it could be three different things. :funny:

I wanted to go with this Travis Patron guy, but he doesn't actually seem important.

So I typed in Canadian politician into Google to see what came up, and honestly it looked like it could be three different things. :funny:

I wanted to go with this Travis Patron guy, but he doesn't actually seem important.

Ah, the trick is, you have to know French. The English news cycle is catching up.

I love that this has kind of turned into a quest for me.

INCfhcZ.gif

You buy the crystal goblet from the merchant in Raru, use it to bribe the dragon in the cave NW of there (don't fight the dragon, it's too strong for your at your current level) to get the demon sword. DON'T EQUIP it (it's cursed) but take it to Parapa Palace, and you'll find the iron gate opens for you automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"