Discussion: LGBTQ+ Rights XVI - Part 6

As long as they don't get any government funding and don't stockpile guns at the school, I'm content to let such people wallow in their own feces.

Maybe believing in torturing the gay out of children is offensive.

Maybe calling yourself a Christian while happy to serve as the running mate and VP of a man who brags about sexually assaulting women and mocks handicapped reporters and POWs is offensive.

“It’s a Christian school” is no excuse - there’s so many of us who go to a Christian school and it royally ****s us up for life!

While it’s nowhere near gay conversion “therapy” - it goes along the same way of thinking which makes it harmful for similar reasons.

I will say one thing though - at least that school wears it on its sleeve, so many other schools like that don’t and surprise you with how much you’re instructed to hate yourself.

This video reminds me a lot about my experiences:

Last edited:
History is being made! First time that an lgbtq individual runs for President. I already signed up to become a volunteer for Pete's campaign. You can do so as well here:

Pete for America

I've been waiting for this ever since the DNC chair debate. Michael Keaton also digs him.

Here's hoping we can win this one!

Pete also has a book hitting in February.

He wrote an essay about Bernie Sanders back in 2000 and their approach to politics is the same in many ways. No-nonsense, getting to the heart of the issues, and he has confidence in calling out the DNC and party for their past failures while supplying an answer on how to fix things for the future.

2000 Winning Essay by Peter Buttigieg | JFK Library

Last edited:
History is being made! First time that an lgbtq individual runs for President. I already signed up to become a volunteer for Pete's campaign. You can do so as well here:

Pete for America

I've been waiting for this ever since the DNC chair debate. Michael Keaton also digs him.

He wrote an essay about Bernie Sanders back in 2000 and their approach to politics is the same in many ways. No-nonsense, getting to the heart of the issues, and he has confidence in calling out the DNC and party for their past failures while supplying an answer on how to fix things for the future.

I know, it’s exciting, isn’t it? I’d support him. I hope that, even if he doesn’t become the nominee, he gets chosen as a VP nominee. He does come from the Rust Belt.

Pete for America

His sexuality isn’t important to me and it certainly wouldn’t keep me from voting for him if I did my research and thought that he would do great things for our country. That’s how I think it should be for every candidate.

That said, I do worry about what some of these lunatics out there would do if a gay man were elected president. We saw the white backlash after Obama left office.

Conversion therapy should be banned everywhere for minors (which is what the headlines always omit for some reason). If an adult wants to try conversion therapy, while drinking 2 litres of Mountain Dew and injecting heroin, they should be free to do so.

I cant believe people in 2019 believein coversion therapy, it's just surreal imo

There was a case last year here in Meixco involving a journalist, he claimed he was "saved" and "healed" by God, knowing how "machista" and "homophobic" is mexico he done more harm than good tbh

I cant believe people in 2019 believein coversion therapy, it's just surreal imo

There was a case last year here in Meixco involving a journalist, he claimed he was "saved" and "healed" by God, knowing how "machista" and "homophobic" is mexico he done more harm than good tbh

Including the Vice President of the United States :whatever:

Boy Erased did a good job showing what unqualified quacks these "therapists" are.

Also fun fact: the real conversion therapist Joel Edgerton's character in the movie is based on not only later renounced conversion therapy, but came out as gay himself and now lives with his husband. After hurting God knows how many gay kids out of his own internal self-loathing :whatever:

Also fun fact: the real conversion therapist Joel Edgerton's character in the movie is based on not only later renounced conversion therapy, but came out as gay himself and now lives with his husband. After hurting God knows how many gay kids out of his own internal self-loathing :whatever:

I lowkey blame religion for this, specially here in Mex cuz almost everybody is catholic, so growin up you'll go to hell just because you're gay is bs, but i know it can be hard since this bs is stuck in your head since kid, but at the end, how can Jesus or God hates you just because you're gay? lol, that's bs the man invented to be intolerant and hate on something they dont understand :o

I liked how Gaga went for Pence in one of her concerts and told him he was a bad christian lol

Pete for America

His own website doesn't seem to have a single policy position on it.

His own website doesn't seem to have a single policy position on it.

Most of the quotes below are from his announcement, the full video of which can be viewed on C-Span:

Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg Launches 2020 Exploratory Committee, Jan 23 2019

FREEDOM. DEMOCRACY. SECURITY.

INDIVIDUAL OVER CORPORATION, WOMEN'S CHOICE

"Government is only of the things that make people unfree. The reality is you're not free if you can't sue a credit card company after it gets caught ripping you off. You're not free if you can't marry the person that you love. You're not free as a woman if male politicians and employers get to tell you what your health care choices ought to be."

DEMOCRACY AND VOTING

"I believe our democracy is being called into question. We need to look at profound and fundamental reforms to deal with cynical attacks on the Democratic character of our politics right now." (Pete has experience dealing with cyber security)

CYBER/ELECTION/CLIMATE SECURITY

"As someone who served overseas in uniform I recognize we're not only dealing with familiar and traditional security threats like counter-terrorism and border security, but that we have a whole new range of security threats that are emerging in the 21st century - cyber security, election security, and climate security that are going to have concrete specific impacts on the American way of life and they call for a very different approach than what we've been seeing right now."

GETTING OUT OF AFGHANISTAN &

HANDLING SYRIA STRATEGICALLY

"Endless war can not continue. Yes we need to find a way out of Afghanistan. Yes we need to make sure that any presence we have in Syria is well thought through, is targeted to protect America's interest and is not a slippery slope toward yet another endless war and confrontation.

Leaving Afghanistan has to happen as soon as there has been a negotiated solution that establishes some level of regional security. We don't want to put ourselves in the position where another generation finds itself deployed again because of another attack, but simply staying there infinitely with no plan is not going to work and neither is leaving with no plan."

"MEDICARE FOR MORE"

"I'm all for implementing a single payer health care system. I also recognize that along the road to 'Medicare For All' maybe 'Medicare For More' is part of how we make that happen. Or maybe in the first instance we can do something like the all payer rate setting that's used in Maryland to keep healthcare costs down while we develop something better for the long term. The bottom line is everyone should be able to get healthcare."

IMMIGRATION PATHWAY TO CITIZENSHIP

Pete pointed to this CNN article as being the basis behind how he believes the immigration debate should be handled -

"Offering citizenship to those immigrants who are living in the US illegally but hold a job, speak English and are willing to pay back taxes is immensely popular, with 90% behind such a plan. That's consistent across party lines, with 96% of Democrats, 89% of independents and 87% of Republicans behind it."

Immigration article written by Pete:
Why These Trump Voters Are Sticking Up For An Undocumented Neighbor | HuffPost

GETTING RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE

"Doing away with the electoral college even if that requires a constitutional amendment."

- Cites a past Indiana representative from years ago who got close to doing so as his inspiration, see C-Span interview.

VOTING AND ACCESS TO BALLOT

"Whether it is legislative or constitutional, a way to make sure that access to the ballot for Americans for those who are eligible to vote is never tampered with."

COMMON SENSE GUN LAWS - QUOTED FROM DNC CHAIR DEBATE

"I support the second amendment. But, when I came out for universal background checks, I took some heat, but there are ways of talking about this and it's again making it personal, I talked about going to funerals and I talked about going outside the wire with a pistol on my hip and a rifle across my shoulder in a vehicle knowing the difference between the kinds of weapons that belong on the streets of Kabul, Afghanistan and the ones that belong on the west side of South Bend. When we talk about it in common sense terms we don't lose people so quickly, because these are common sense values and common sense ideas."

FAIR DISTRICTING

GETTING MONEY OUT OF POLITICS

In this area, throughout all interviews, he holds many of the same views as Bernie Sanders - in 2000, he wrote an essay about how Bernie is the person who inspired him to go into politics.

TRANS BATHROOM RIGHTS

HELP WORKERS WHO COULD LOSE THEIR JOBS TO A.I.

Keep in mind I cobbled all of this together.

Pete, as noted during his announcement, is still working on putting everything together in a cohesive and best presentable form. It is clear he's using what he's learned in revitalizing the South Bend as entitled from his upcoming book, "One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future."

For the time being though, the above should help and I also recommend listening to interviews where he speaks more about his stances on various issues.

He gets into vision here and at the end shows how he'd deal with being ambushed with a question concerning race and the police, his answer is diplomatic and strategic.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood how anyone could seriously believe that God - if He exists - cares about who you’re shacking up with. We’re talking about about about a being who possesses incomprehensible levels of power, wisdom, foresight, knowledge, you name it. And there are people out there who thinks He draws the line at something as inconsequential as sexuality?

Nope. Sorry. Not buying it.

I’ve never understood how anyone could seriously believe that God - if He exists - cares about who you’re shacking up with. We’re talking about about about a being who possesses incomprehensible levels of power, wisdom, foresight, knowledge, you name it. And there are people out there who thinks He draws the line at something as inconsequential as sexuality?

These are the same people who say God is love and that he doesn't make mistakes - yet, they act as though God made a mistake in how he made some people particularly minorities ranging from sexuality to race and beyond.

They speak bible verses and speak of God without knowing the first thing about what they actually mean. My pastor likened them to Satanists and I'd say that's true, they take the beauty and they invert it into something ugly to fit their own purposes that has no basis in love.

Eerily their conversion centers which torture teens - one's called 'Love In Action' which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'd argue that the "form" of Christianity that many of those who attack people worship is the same one that worshipped a golden calf (idolatry is something they always do - acting like political leaders are the "second coming") and 'Positive Christianity' which originates from how Nazis twisted it -

Positive Christianity - Wikipedia

Positive Christianity: rejected the Jewish written parts of the bible, claimed "Aryanhood" for Christ, and promoted the political objective of 'national' unity (nationalism).

Last edited:
One of the things that makes a successful religion is its malleability. That way, the text can change meaning as the society changes, or as new societies adopt the faith. Basically, God wants whatever the believer wants. Their god is a petty, hate-filled piece of trash because THEY are petty, hate-filled pieces of trash.

Last edited:

This. I cannot believe that God, if he exists, is petty and shallow just because some of his ostensible followers are.

These are the same people who say God is love and that he doesn't make mistakes - yet, they act as though God made a mistake in how he made some people particularly minorities ranging from sexuality to race and beyond.

Yep. They also love to tell us that “the Lord works in mysterious ways,” which is an obvious logical fallacy that they use to excuse and justify their blatant bigotry. It’s maddening.

They speak bible verses and speak of God without knowing the first thing about what they actually mean. My pastor likened them to Satanists and I'd say that's true, they take the beauty and they invert it into something ugly to fit their own purposes that has no basis in love.

100%.

And for the record: although I’m agnostic, I don’t have an issue with the idea of organized religion. I actually went to Catholic school for a decade, and unlike many, I enjoyed the experience and look back on those days with fondness. But the way so many practitioners distort the messages of Christ and use their platforms to push their hate-filled agendas often makes me wonder if the world wouldn’t be a much better place without it.

RE: Positive Christianity: I’ll have to read up on that when I have more free time. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :up:

This. I cannot believe that God, if he exists, is petty and shallow just because some of his ostensible followers are.

He can’t be. If human beings are intelligent enough to realize the inherent idiocy of homophobia, why wouldn’t God?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"