Discussion: Health And Healthcare III

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Paradoxium, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Paradoxium Making Your Head Explode

HHS report recommends closing Obamacare program

2. Handsome Rob Registered

Now is it just me, or does it appear that the federal government is putting $$ before people here?

I thought only health insurance and other evil assorted corporations did such vile things. :huh:

3. Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

My premiums are going up next year for less coverage. Does anyone know a better way to get high risk health insurance? My employment just isn't going to cut it next year.

4. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Ohio voters are on the verge of approving a constitutional amendment against Obamacare. It's currently 60% yes to 40% no with over 2% of the precincts reporting.

5. DACrowe Registered

...which is ultimately meaningless if SCOTUS upholds HCR (or "Obamacare")'s legality next year.

Also in HCR news today, the DC Federal Appeals Court upheld HCR as constitutional. The judge was appointed by Reagan, btw. Those liberal activists and all that.

6. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

I saw that, and for once, a court ruling that actually supported Obama's position of the constitutionality of the individual mandate, as opposed to pushing it to the side by saying that there was just no right to sue to begin with.

7. dnno1 Registered

You can try [BLACKOUT]the public option[/BLACKOUT]. I don't know how much you are paying right now, but if you are considered high risk, you are going to pay more wherever you go for now. Depending on what state you live in, your premium may vary.

8. Marx Pixelated

Ohio officially voted against the "Obamacare" mandate. Symbolic or not, I'm glad the vote went the way it did.

9. dnno1 Registered

Yes, this is totally symbolic seeing that the Constitution, in Article IV, Section I, states that the Congress via legislation, may prescribe the effect of any State's law. You also have the Supremacy Clause.

10. DACrowe Registered

You're against the individual mandate, Marx? I'm surprised, given that was a centerpiece of Hillary Clinton's platform in 2007-2008 is all.

11. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

But it is a major symbolic blow to the Obama Administration. This is the fourth time that a state has overwhelmingly rejected Obamacare. Missouri already rejected it with 71% in favor, Arizona rejected it with 55% in favor, Oklahoma rejected it with 65% in favor, and Ohio has done the same with 66% in favor.

What makes Ohio even worse for the Obama Administration is that unlike the Missouri's Proposition C, or Oklahoma's State Question 756, or Arizona's Proposition 106, turnout for Ohio's Issue 3 was high (thanks to Issue 2) and was rejected in every single county of Ohio voting against Obamacare.

12. dnno1 Registered

Yes, but there are 50 states. Last I checked 46 out of 50 was a pretty good batting average. Look never did I think that this would please everyone, nor would I have expected you to think the same, but saying that 4 states out of 50 not wanting the ACA being a major blow is like equating that to the southern states succeeding from the Union, and that by far is no comparison.

13. BlackLantern Registered

not a major blow, but it's definitely making others think twice about it

it's probably going to be on the ballot for Connecticut in the next year or two

14. Marx Pixelated

I'm very familiar with Hillary Clinton's presidential platform. I have always opposed the "individual" mandate. I did, however, support her view of an "employer" mandate that would've required businesses to provide healthcare for employees.

15. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]346914[/split]

16. Marx Pixelated

I believe that employers should be subsidized in some form if they couldn't afford to provide it. It's really here nor there now though.

#16 Marx, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  17. Franklin Richards Registered

Employers shouldn't be in the Healthcare business to begin with.

:cap: :cap: :cap:

18. Franklin Richards Registered

Employers shouldn't be in the Healthcare business to begin with.

:cap: :cap: :cap:

19. dnno1 Registered

You mean for health care?

20. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Asides from Colorado, the other 46 states haven't put the issue up for ballot. There is no 46 out of 50 batting average because 45 other states haven't gone up to bat. It is also going up for ballot next year in Alabama, Florida, Montana, and Wyoming. Right now Obamacare has a 1 out of 5 batting average on the ballot with Colorado rejecting a constitutional amendment against it with 53% of the vote.

And also take into account that Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming are suing the federal government over the law. Last time I checked, 28 out of 50 states suing over the law is not a good batting average either.

21. dnno1 Registered

I didn't see the State of Ohio rejecting the Entire Affordable Care Act. They took issue with the mandate. I am very sure they will comply with the other parts of the law since they stand to lose Federal funding. The same thing goes for the other 3 states (or 49 if you want to consider everyone else). This is just symbolic, since they have to comply with the Federal law unless it is overturned.

22. DACrowe Registered

But she still would have required all Americans to have healthcare no matter what.

23. Marx Pixelated

I honestly do not believe the "individual" mandate will stick. I do not support an individual mandate and I have never supported an individual mandate.

24. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case against Obamacare.

25. Marx Pixelated

...this is going to get very interesting.