Discussion: Health And Healthcare III

Paradoxium

Making Your Head Explode
Reaction score
HHS report recommends closing Obamacare program
Last month, Congressional Republicans issued a report detailing how the Obama administration ignored warnings that the program was unsustainable in the rush to pass the national health care law. Shortly after this, the program's actuary announced he was leaving and said the office dealing with the program was to be shut down. HHS later issued a statement insisting the office hadn't been closed, while acknowledging that it had been downsized and that whether the program gets implemented remains an "open question."

One reason why the Obama administration has been reluctant to officially shut down the program is that it was one of the main accounting gimmicks they used during the health care debate. Because the CLASS Act was supposed to collect five years of premiums before paying out any benefits, the Democrats have been claim $80 billion in short-term surplus from the program as deficit reduction, ignoring the obvious fact that the money would eventually have to pay for benefits. It's been called a "budget zombie."

Here's the detailed HHS report prepared concluding that the CLASS program couldn't work. One of the fears raised is that if it were implemented and failed, it would be problematic to shut down.

"(W)e conclude that there is substantial uncertainty about what would follow if solvency or legal problems prevented the CLASS program, once operational, from continuing to implement the plan," the report reads. "We cannot with any confidence predict that the CLASS program would beable to honor its commitments to individuals who had already enrolled or entered beneficiarystatus in the program, or avoid leaving them worse off, or that such individuals would be able torecoup their paid premiums."

My premiums are going up next year for less coverage. Does anyone know a better way to get high risk health insurance? My employment just isn't going to cut it next year.

Ohio voters are on the verge of approving a constitutional amendment against Obamacare. It's currently 60% yes to 40% no with over 2% of the precincts reporting.

...which is ultimately meaningless if SCOTUS upholds HCR (or "Obamacare")'s legality next year.

Also in HCR news today, the DC Federal Appeals Court upheld HCR as constitutional. The judge was appointed by Reagan, btw. Those liberal activists and all that.

...which is ultimately meaningless if SCOTUS upholds HCR (or "Obamacare")'s legality next year.

Also in HCR news today, the DC Federal Appeals Court upheld HCR as constitutional. The judge was appointed by Reagan, btw. Those liberal activists and all that.

I saw that, and for once, a court ruling that actually supported Obama's position of the constitutionality of the individual mandate, as opposed to pushing it to the side by saying that there was just no right to sue to begin with.

My premiums are going up next year for less coverage. Does anyone know a better way to get high risk health insurance? My employment just isn't going to cut it next year.

You can try [BLACKOUT]the public option[/BLACKOUT]. I don't know how much you are paying right now, but if you are considered high risk, you are going to pay more wherever you go for now. Depending on what state you live in, your premium may vary.

Ohio officially voted against the "Obamacare" mandate. Symbolic or not, I'm glad the vote went the way it did.

Yes, this is totally symbolic seeing that the Constitution, in Article IV, Section I, states that the Congress via legislation, may prescribe the effect of any State's law. You also have the Supremacy Clause.

Ohio officially voted against the "Obamacare" mandate. Symbolic or not, I'm glad the vote went the way it did.

You're against the individual mandate, Marx? I'm surprised, given that was a centerpiece of Hillary Clinton's platform in 2007-2008 is all.

Yes, this is totally symbolic seeing that the Constitution, in Article IV, Section I, states that the Congress via legislation, may prescribe the effect of any State's law. You also have the Supremacy Clause.

But it is a major symbolic blow to the Obama Administration. This is the fourth time that a state has overwhelmingly rejected Obamacare. Missouri already rejected it with 71% in favor, Arizona rejected it with 55% in favor, Oklahoma rejected it with 65% in favor, and Ohio has done the same with 66% in favor.

What makes Ohio even worse for the Obama Administration is that unlike the Missouri's Proposition C, or Oklahoma's State Question 756, or Arizona's Proposition 106, turnout for Ohio's Issue 3 was high (thanks to Issue 2) and was rejected in every single county of Ohio voting against Obamacare.

But it is a major symbolic blow to the Obama Administration. This is the fourth time that a state has overwhelmingly rejected Obamacare. Missouri already rejected it with 71% in favor, Arizona rejected it with 55% in favor, Oklahoma rejected it with 65% in favor, and Ohio has done the same with 66% in favor.

What makes Ohio even worse for the Obama Administration is that unlike the Missouri's Proposition C, or Oklahoma's State Question 756, or Arizona's Proposition 106, turnout for Ohio's Issue 3 was high (thanks to Issue 2) and was rejected in every single county of Ohio voting against Obamacare.

Yes, but there are 50 states. Last I checked 46 out of 50 was a pretty good batting average. Look never did I think that this would please everyone, nor would I have expected you to think the same, but saying that 4 states out of 50 not wanting the ACA being a major blow is like equating that to the southern states succeeding from the Union, and that by far is no comparison.

not a major blow, but it's definitely making others think twice about it

it's probably going to be on the ballot for Connecticut in the next year or two

You're against the individual mandate, Marx? I'm surprised, given that was a centerpiece of Hillary Clinton's platform in 2007-2008 is all.

I'm very familiar with Hillary Clinton's presidential platform. I have always opposed the "individual" mandate. I did, however, support her view of an "employer" mandate that would've required businesses to provide healthcare for employees.

I believe that employers should be subsidized in some form if they couldn't afford to provide it. It's really here nor there now though.

Last edited:
I believe that employers should be subsidized in some form if they couldn't afford to provide it. It's really here nor there now though.

You mean for health care?

Yes, but there are 50 states. Last I checked 46 out of 50 was a pretty good batting average. Look never did I think that this would please everyone, nor would I have expected you to think the same, but saying that 4 states out of 50 not wanting the ACA being a major blow is like equating that to the southern states succeeding from the Union, and that by far is no comparison.

Asides from Colorado, the other 46 states haven't put the issue up for ballot. There is no 46 out of 50 batting average because 45 other states haven't gone up to bat. It is also going up for ballot next year in Alabama, Florida, Montana, and Wyoming. Right now Obamacare has a 1 out of 5 batting average on the ballot with Colorado rejecting a constitutional amendment against it with 53% of the vote.

And also take into account that Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming are suing the federal government over the law. Last time I checked, 28 out of 50 states suing over the law is not a good batting average either.

Asides from Colorado, the other 46 states haven't put the issue up for ballot. There is no 46 out of 50 batting average because 45 other states haven't gone up to bat. It is also going up for ballot next year in Alabama, Florida, Montana, and Wyoming. Right now Obamacare has a 1 out of 5 batting average on the ballot with Colorado rejecting a constitutional amendment against it with 53% of the vote.

And also take into account that Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming are suing the federal government over the law. Last time I checked, 28 out of 50 states suing over the law is not a good batting average either.

I didn't see the State of Ohio rejecting the Entire Affordable Care Act. They took issue with the mandate. I am very sure they will comply with the other parts of the law since they stand to lose Federal funding. The same thing goes for the other 3 states (or 49 if you want to consider everyone else). This is just symbolic, since they have to comply with the Federal law unless it is overturned.

I'm very familiar with Hillary Clinton's presidential platform. I have always opposed the "individual" mandate. I did, however, support her view of an "employer" mandate that would've required businesses to provide healthcare for employees.

But she still would have required all Americans to have healthcare no matter what.

But she still would have required all Americans to have healthcare no matter what.

I honestly do not believe the "individual" mandate will stick. I do not support an individual mandate and I have never supported an individual mandate.

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case against Obamacare.

...this is going to get very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"