Discussion: Illegal Immigration and Other Citizenship Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Religion, Catholicism, plays a huge role in why Africa has such a horrid AIDS epidemic and that coupled with their extremely high birth rate is all due to lack of education and impoverished conditions.

That is one of the major reasons why the circle of poverty continues. Uneducated and poor adults give birth to a lot of kids who then stay uneducated and poor and have kids of their own. Just think about how better a life a family would have if they had 1 kid instead of 6.

Can you support that? At all?
I imagine the poor would have more children pre-Industrial Revolution since they lived off of what their land produced and children are free labor.

If you want more, you'll have to wait until my semester is over unless you want to look into it yourself.

I imagine the poor would have more children pre-Industrial Revolution since they lived off of what their land produced and children are free labor.
Fairly sound reasoning. I really wish we had reliable numbers to look at, but something tells me those are lacking.

Spidey-Bat said:
If you want more, you'll have to wait until my semester is over unless you want to look into it yourself.
I just might. My curiosity is growing.

Fairly sound reasoning. I really wish we had reliable numbers to look at, but something tells me those are lacking.

I just might. My curiosity is growing.

I had another thought that relates to my previous point. Another reason the poor have more children is because fewer survive to adulthood. Obviously they don't have access to the food and medicine the rich do to support them.

Was this the actual vote, or the practice vote to see if they have the votes?

Was this the actual vote, or the practice vote to see if they have the votes?

According to the article, it looks like it was the real vote. It was basically passed on partisan lines.

The only thing I don't get about the DREAM Act is that it will give help to illegal aliens to go to college any where they want but the government won't help a citizen with out of state tuition fees. And people wonder why American is one of the dumbest industrialized countries in the world. We are educating illegal aliens and forcing citizens to either pay an arm and a leg for college or not get it.

I am fine with providing a path to citizenship but I think going to college to provide that path is really stupid and hurts citizens.

The only thing I don't get about the DREAM Act is that it will give help to illegal aliens to go to college any where they want but the government won't help a citizen with out of state tuition fees. And people wonder why American is one of the dumbest industrialized countries in the world. We are educating illegal aliens and forcing citizens to either pay an arm and a leg for college or not get it.

I am fine with providing a path to citizenship but I think going to college to provide that path is really stupid and hurts citizens.

I am really torn on the 'DREAM' Act. On one hand, you really cannot fault an illegal immigrant child who was brought here by their parents. They didn't ask to be put in the situation they're in. On the other hand, they are still illegal and the 'DREAM' Act is rewarding that.

I am 100% fine with providing a path for citizenship because as you said, it isn't their fault. But, I don't agree with rewarding that either by giving them a free education or a very large break in fees when a person that lives in Texas can't afford to go to school in New York because of out of state tuition fees.

We live in a country that will make it cheaper for a 18 year old from Venezuela to go to college in NY than a kid from Texas.

It's definitely sad chase, I agree.

I'd be curious to see how those opposed to illegal immigration feel about children born in the United States, but has one parent who is an illegal immigrant and another parent who is a legalized immigrant or American born citizen. I know those opposed to illegal immigration want to remove citizenship of children born in the USA to illegal immigrants. But what if one of the parents is an illegal and the other is not? Those that oppose would have to define that, as removing the American citizenship of children who has one legalized (or American born) parent would be unfair.

so screw regular American citizens who can't afford college, but let illegals get higher education

riiiiiiight

Who can't get into college these days?

I mean between Pell Grants, State Scholarships and Widely Available Student Loans I can safely say that I don't know a single person who has not attended college who has wanted to.

The sad thing is that college degree's aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I couldn't afford to go out of state but apparently an illegal alien can because they are given a break but me, a tax paying citizen, is not.

chase....no one cares that you're trying to escape Texas and run to NY to be a fauxhemian

:hehe:

UPDATE: Senator Reid has scheduled a full senate vote on the DREAM Act for saturday morning.

I really wish there were some more provisions in this act.

I REALLY think that a degree of some kind along with a job should be mandated. Whether it is a certification in computers w/ a job.....an Associates Degree w/ a job....or a Bachelor's Degree on up W/ A JOB..... should be mandated. As far as military, sign up for 4 years, you are in....at the end of say 2 years, grant them citizenship.

I'm all for the Dream Act, but not as written...

Oh, and BTW, what I stated above are mandates my students say should be in the bill.....I teach in a school that is 78% Hispanic.

UPDATE: The GOP has successfully filibustered the DREAM Act.

According to the AP, a government agency that manages the canal between Mexico and the United States has began to install life-saving buoys to prevent illegal immigrants from drowning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"