Discussion: Illegal Immigration and Other Citizenship Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lulz at the Congressman who asked Colbert to leave and then get smacked down because he was there at the invitation of the Chairwoman

thats probably the most people that have ever attended that particular committee

ever

"Maybe we should be spending less time watching Comedy Central and more time considering all the real jobs that are out there -- ones that require real hard labor and ones that don't involve sitting behind a desk," said Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa.

I can't be the only person who found this particular quote to be hilarious. :awesome:

I LOVE what Colbert did in congress today :up:

Yeah, that was some pretty funny stuff. Those people sitting up in Congress really didn't have much of a sense of humor, haha. One lady did crack a smile, however, some of those older suckers looked like they wanted to cane him.

I understand that it's "cool" to have Colbert in Congress, but honestly it sounds like it was an embarrasment. Perhaps a deserved one considering the quality of politician in Congress, but one none the less.

Colbert is incredibly intelligent.

But he was an idiot that day, and IMO, extremely rude of the proceedings.

I can see him going in and cutting a few jokes, then continuing with...

"But, seriously, this is what I saw as we visited with these different migrant workers...."

That was ******** what he did in front of that congressional committee....

Yeah. At least it gave attention to an important subject.

No it didn't....

Considering all you have seen on the news is him making a fool out of himself and the proceedings....VERY LITTLE TIME if ANY, was spent on talking about the plight of the Migrant Workers....they are ****ing indentured servants...

Yeah, that was some pretty funny stuff. Those people sitting up in Congress really didn't have much of a sense of humor, haha. One lady did crack a smile, however, some of those older suckers looked like they wanted to cane him.

I didn't think it was funny at all, I thought it was pretty rude and condescending...

He's a funny guy, and a smart guy....he was neither that day.

I didn't think it was funny at all, I thought it was pretty rude and condescending...

He's a funny guy, and a smart guy....he was neither that day.

I thought it was funny. Some people need to pull the stick out their behinds. :oldrazz:

But he was an idiot that day, and IMO, extremely rude of the proceedings.

I can see him going in and cutting a few jokes, then continuing with...

"But, seriously, this is what I saw as we visited with these different migrant workers...."

That was ******** what he did in front of that congressional committee....

I've seen a few clips of his testimony...and I will admit I was disappointed that he didn't hammer them the way he could have.

I think it took massive balls for Colbert to stay in character the whole time. People need to lighten up, especially congress.

I can't be mad at Colbert not taking things seriously because he's an entertainer and nothing more. The simply fact that he was invited there is a joke. I'm more upset with whoever it was that invited him to speak on such an issue.

I don't think he didn't take it seriously. He joked about it, sure, but I think his message was serious.

There was very little of a message because most of the time they were trying to get him to leave and he would not leave. As soon as they realized he wasn't going to be serious and talk about the issue at hand, they realized they were screwed and asked him to leave.

He started out fine with a few jokes....

"I certainly hope that my star power can bump this hearing all the way up to C-Span 1"

I have no problems with him joking for a moment, but he should have then moved into truly what he saw, what he learned, what he was told from the migrant workers, etc....

So, tell some jokes? sure.... but move on from that to the meat.

Last edited:
There was very little of a message because most of the time they were trying to get him to leave and he would not leave. As soon as they realized he wasn't going to be serious and talk about the issue at hand, they realized they were screwed and asked him to leave.

He started out fine with a few jokes....

"I certainly hope that my star power can bump this hearing all the way up to C-Span 1"

I have no problems with him joking for a moment, but he should have then moved into truly what he saw, what he learned, what he was told from the migrant workers, etc....

So, tell some jokes? sure.... but move on from that to the meat.

He did talk about the issues at hand. He just did it in his way. Not his fault that you don't have a sense of humor. :oldrazz:

I will take substance over :oldrazz: any day when it comes to something like migrant workers.

Having a sense of humor has NOTHING to do with tempering your message with humor, and totally making fun of the issue. Big difference...

This has nothing to be with "being cool" and "laughing with Colbert", giving him a high five cause "he's cool and so am I".... it has to do with being smart with your humor and using it to further the issue, not overshadow it. IMO, and it is "my opinion" I don't expect you to agree with it, but in my opinion it overshadowed the issue, it did not bring information to the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"