Discussion: Illegal Immigration and Other Citizenship Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
celldog said:
Baloney. I for one am tired of telephone prompts saying "press one for english" press two for spanish". This is ridiculous. And though having everyone speak english is not the total solution for unity, you will not have unity at all, if we don't. This country will be divided into small unassimilated pockets. Look at what happened in europe with those Muslims. They were not required to assimilate into European culture. thus they do not feel a part of it. Language is important to success and even safety.

Why should our firemen and policemen have to take spanish courses?? Shouldn't the hispanics learn English?? Only America caters to people like this.
:mad:
of for Satan's sake, please, shush

celldog said:
Baloney. I for one am tired of telephone prompts saying "press one for english" press two for spanish". This is ridiculous. And though having everyone speak english is not the total solution for unity, you will not have unity at all, if we don't. This country will be divided into small unassimilated pockets. Look at what happened in europe with those Muslims. They were not required to assimilate into European culture. thus they do not feel a part of it. Language is important to success and even safety.

Why should our firemen and policemen have to take spanish courses?? Shouldn't the hispanics learn English?? Only America caters to people like this.
:mad:

robocop.gif

jag

celldog said:

Why should our firemen and policemen have to take spanish courses?? Shouldn't the hispanics learn English?? Only America caters to people like this. :mad:

Ya having such a large number of people not speaking the unofficial official language of America [english] can lead to a lot of problems, like in hospitals where translators arent present so they cant ask questions or communicate vital information. And it other emergency situations.

If people want to speak spanish thats super, just learn English as well.

I think people should speak multiple languages. Why not? That's the best thing. Language programs in most American schools pretty much suck though.

Admiral_N8 said:
Ya having such a large number of people not speaking the unofficial official language of America [english] can lead to a lot of problems, like in hospitals where translators arent present so they cant ask questions or communicate vital information. And it other emergency situations.

If people want to speak spanish thats super, just learn English as well.

Thats the thing this bill is trying to change. Why should a hispanic guy learn english when its not an official language? Because the majority speak it? Well the majority of people are white, should we make a bill saying the offcial race of america is white?

ShadowBoxing said:
What, I was agreeing with you.

okay, sorry. i was genuinely confused with the content of your post. i'm a little slow sometimes. :(

Darthphere said:
Thats the thing this bill is trying to change. Why should a hispanic guy learn english when its not an official language? Because the majority speak it? Well the majority of people are white, should we make a bill saying the offcial race of america is white?
Why should everyone else BUT us have an offical language? Language is unifying. We can't have the southwest speaking spanish but the North speaking english. How would we do business?

dcbmp said:
Why should everyone else BUT us have an offical language? Language is unifying. We can't have the southwest speaking spanish but the North speaking english. How would we do business?

Money talks.

Darthphere said:

Umm that was just silly.

Having a common/official language is for functionality and practicallity, if a large part of the nation doesnt speak the same language as another part that will lead to a lot of disfunction.

I am sure you would agree.

Darthphere said:
Money talks.

Thats your answer to how we would solve it if the southwest spoke spanish and the rest english??

Admiral_N8 said:
Umm that was just silly.

Having a common/official language is for functionality and practicallity, if a large part of the nation doesnt speak the same language as another part that will lead to a lot of disfunction.

I am sure you would agree.

I dont know if you realize this but other countries have portions that speak different languages. My native country of Nicaragua the west coast speaks spanish the east coast english. Canada speaks English, French and Canadia, you what thats aboot. Most countries in Europe speak more than one language, they seem to be getting on fine.

Admiral_N8 said:
Thats your answer to how we would solve it if the southwest spoke spanish and the rest english??

Money is a universal language.:up:

Darthphere said:
I dont know if you realize this but other countries have portions that speak different languages. My native country of Nicaragua the west coast speaks spanish the east coast english. Canada speaks English, French and Canadia, you what thats aboot. Most countries in Europe speak more than one language, they seem to be getting on fine.

Yes but they can also speak the national language.

As I have said before its fine if you want to speak spanish, but you also need to know English.

Most countries in Europe [take France for example] know French and maybe english and german. BUT they know their nations language, French.

So your example is hugely different, European nations and America. Because the problem here is that these people dont know English.

Admiral_N8 said:
Yes but they can also speak the national language.

As I have said before its fine if you want to speak spanish, but you also need to know English.

Most countries in Europe [take France for example] know French and maybe english and german. BUT they know their nations language, French.

So your example is hugely different, European nations and America. Because the problem here is that these people dont know English.

Once again, but the US doesnt have a national language ...yet.

Darthphere said:
Once again, but the US doesnt have a national language ...yet.

So what, doesnt mean anything that it isnt the "official" language.

You agree though that Europe and Americas situation is hugely different. France, and other big European nations, dont have the problem of citizens in their own nation not being able to speak french.

Anyway, what was your original point? That it will be fine if part of the country doesnt speak english at all?

Admiral_N8 said:
So what, doesnt mean anything that it isnt the "official" language.

You agree though that Europe and Americas situation is hugely different. France, and other big European nations, dont have the problem of citizens in their own nation not being able to speak french.

Anyway, what was your original point? That it will be fine if part of the country doesnt speak english at all?

Worse things have happened. I dont think its something you should kill yourself over.

Darthphere said:
Worse things have happened. I dont think its something you should kill yourself over.

Ok I guess you didnt have anything :confused:

Admiral_N8 said:
Ok I guess you didnt have anything :confused:

I dont see the big deal if an area of the US doesnt speak english, considering its not like an official language or anything. But im from Miami, everyone here speaks english and spanish.

Darthphere said:
I dont see the big deal if an area of the US doesnt speak english, considering its not like an official language or anything. But im from Miami, everyone here speaks english and spanish.

So if it changes and it is an official language you think its a big deal?

But today you dont think its a big deal that such a huge number cant communicate to the rest of the nation, and vice versa?

Admiral_N8 said:
So if it changes and it is an official language you think its a big deal?

But today you dont think its a big deal that such a huge number cant communicate to the rest of the nation, and vice versa?

I dont know, should we learn Navajo as well? Since they were like here first.

Darthphere said:
I dont know, should we learn Navajo as well? Since they were like here first.

Thats silly, dont take things to the absurd extreme, we are talking about today.

You really dont have a point do you...

Admiral_N8 said:
Thats silly, dont take things to the absurd extreme, we are talking about today.

You really dont have a point do you...

I never said I did, or required one. All im saying trying to force people to assimilate to speaking a language just because the majority speak it is absurd to me. If people who only speak spanish cant communicate with english speakers its their problem not mine, not yours.

The U.S.A. should have a set language. It makes the country more united and makes the day to day operations of businesses and schools more efficient.

Darthphere said:
I never said I did, or required one. All im saying trying to force people to assimilate to speaking a language just because the majority speak it is absurd to me. If people who only speak spanish cant communicate with english speakers its their problem not mine, not yours.

How is it absurd to require them to be able to communicate with the country to become a citizen in that country??

Actually it is my problem too, when I go to resturaunts or businesses I cant communicate with them, and thats my problem. Or if I cant read signs to get around because they are in spanish, thats my problem. Or they require the taxpayers to pay more to accomidate their language in public schools, thats my problem. See? Its hugely impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"