Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC P - Part 3

Associated Press - Dems reshuffle primaries to stress diversity over tradition
The Democratic Party on Saturday approved reordering its 2024 presidential primary, replacing Iowa with South Carolina in the leadoff spot as part of a major shake-up meant to empower Black and other minority voters critical to its base of support

Reuters - 'Four more years': Democratic loyalists embrace Biden 2024 plan

Bloomberg News - Forget Trump, Democrats Are Preparing Ways to Beat a DeSantis Campaign

Daily Kos - Iowa and NH get the boot, will no longer be first-in-the-nation for Dem presidential nomination

Michigan Democrats:
"The order/dates of states for the 2024 Democratic Presidential Primary:

South Carolina - Feb. 3
Nevada/New Hampshire - Feb. 6
Georgia - Feb. 13
Michigan - Feb. 27"

Business Insider - [PA Democratic Senator] John Fetterman's picture-taking, buddy-making, convention-breaking first month on Capitol Hill

Last edited:
NC Democratic Party ousts Richardson, shakes up party leadership

I'm surprised this hasn't made more headlines in political circles (apart from Raw Story). The fact that a 25 year old campaign organizer ousted a 73 year old incumbent is pretty major stuff. 3 out of the 4 newcomers running the NC Democratic Party are now millennials/Gen Z party members aged 21-36 (the fourth is 51 years old).

This is very good news for 2024. I hope these newbies embrace the GOP negative partisanship attack mode and regain some legislative seats next year.

Last edited:
California Senator Dianne Feinstein has announced she’ll retire at the end of her current term next year.

I would like to see Adam Schiff or Barbara Lee succeed her.

I hope someone reminds her next year.
I hope someone tells her that it's 2025.

California Senator Dianne Feinstein has announced she’ll retire at the end of her current term next year.

I would like to see Adam Schiff or Barbara Lee succeed her.

I rather like Katie Porter myself. Smart as bad place and doesn't take any S***. She has an Elizabeth Warren kind of approach and seems to have endless energy. During a discussion about abortion when Bill Maher tried to play the "reasonable" card, she told him "well, your parents chose to not have an abortion and we're living with the consequences of that every day." :funny:

I rather like Katie Porter myself. Smart as bad place and doesn't take any S***. She has an Elizabeth Warren kind of approach and seems to have endless energy. During a discussion about abortion when Bill Maher tried to play the "reasonable" card, she told him "well, your parents chose to not have an abortion and we're living with the consequences of that every day." :funny:

Porter’s fine but she’s relatively new. Schiff and Lee have put in years of service to the House— and there are no Black female U.S. Senators since Kamala got the VP gig.

Lee has stuck to her principles over the years —voting against the Iraq War and so forth. She’ll bring in a fresh perspective that DiFi lacks.

Porter’s fine but she’s relatively new. Schiff and Lee have put in years of service to the House— and there are no Black female U.S. Senators since Kamala got the VP gig.

Lee has stuck to her principles over the years —voting against the Iraq War and so forth. She’ll bring in a fresh perspective that DiFi lacks.
Barbara Lee helped us out during some of our contract negotiations some time ago and has my admiration and thanks. That being said, I think Porter is a cut above when it comes to accountability of all kinds. I would knock doors for Barbara. I'd vote first for Katie and be thrilled to have Lee as my senator. You can't really go wrong with any of the 3.

I wish I could say the same about things here in NC. You guys in California are lucky to have sane and competent folks to choose from.

I wish I could say the same about things here in NC. You guys in California are lucky to have sane and competent folks to choose from.
Yeah. Like Dianne Feinstein. Lol.

You know, it’s interesting. Alot of people say they want younger people, and Porter is certainly the youngest of the serious contenders for the California Senate seat. Generally speaking, I don’t give a rats butt about age, unless I feel it would seriously impinge upon their performance. In this case, Porter is the clear choice to me. I think she’s one of the smartest toughest and most articulate politicians I’ve seen in quite some time. Oh, she gets all of the female tropes for her characteristics. She is a.B**** in particular. If she was a guy, she’d be tough and smart and aggressive. Well, I want that B**** to be my next senator.

edit: and I want to see her on the Senate appropriations committee.

Last edited:
I have to admit a Sen. Porter pulling out her whiteboard and giving the talk to idiots like Ted Cruz, Mike Lee or Ted Budd when they start parroting RW lies from Fox News would be highly entertaining.
One of my all-time favorites was having Senator John Kennedy question Stacey Abrams. He was questioning her about the Georgia voting law, and she gave him answers to every question. When he asked if there was anything more, she said yes, and went on. Then I asked her again is that all and she went on finally he just said OK I get it. Dude totally just gave up. Lol. Sorry for the grammar, but I’m using voice recognition. It was just awesome to see her school that guy.

Daily Kos - In historic vote, New York Senate rejects governor's conservative nominee to lead state's top court

The Democratic-led New York Senate delivered a historic defeat to Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul on Wednesday when it voted 39-20 to reject Hector LaSalle, her nominee to lead the state’s highest court.
This is the first time the full chamber has voted to reject the governor’s pick for the Court of Appeals since New York’s chief executive gained the power to nominate them in the 1970s. (Candidates for the state’s highest court previously ran in statewide elections.) Hochul, though, tried to salvage some small win from the debacle, saying, “This vote is an important victory for the Constitution. But it was not a vote on the merits of Justice LaSalle, who is an overwhelmingly qualified and talented jurist.” The Commission on Judicial Nominations will now submit a new seven-person list to Hochul.

This was an unnecessary misstep on Hochul's part from the get-go whether it was an act of pandering to authoritarian voters or not. Try not to pick the next worst person on the list next time.

Last edited:
Statement on President Carter’s Health
ATLANTA (Feb. 18, 2023) — After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team. The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"