Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC P - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, you think too little of yourself brotha.

I found a stray dog walking around the neighborhood who had no tags & returned him to his human family today. It’s the little things that make the world a better place IMO.

I found a stray dog walking around the neighborhood who had no tags & returned him to his human family today. It’s the little things that make the world a better place IMO.

You are absolutely right my friend. There was a story in the movie Before Sunrise, where Ethan Hawk talked about his experience with a bunch of nuns.
His anecdote was that these ladies weren't asking about how to save us from global climate change or how to recreate the education system. Their biggest concern was how to get pencils to kids in school. Simple, but so important.

I knew another gentleman who was obsessive about putting the shopping cart back no matter what, to help out the staff.

It is definitely in the everyday things.

If we're going to survive, we either need to instate population growth laws (no one loves that, but it's a must), start to colonize the oceans and yes Mars and the moon, or.... I dunno.

As I said look at all the useless desserts in this world. Phoenix and Vegas are perfect example what you can do with a dessert land(although I would look more into places to grow food)

You are absolutely right my friend. There was a story in the movie Before Sunrise, where Ethan Hawk talked about his experience with a bunch of nuns.
His anecdote was that these ladies weren't asking about how to save us from global climate change or how to recreate the education system. Their biggest concern was how to get pencils to kids in school. Simple, but so important.

I knew another gentleman who was obsessive about putting the shopping cart back no matter what, to help out the staff.

It is definitely in the everyday things.

Thanks, it was very stressful at first because he was such a nice dog I didn’t want to just put him in a shelter. I felt compelled to take him home & take care of him until the police notified me about a missing dog in my area. I haven’t felt this good about myself in ages.

As I said look at all the useless desserts in this world. Phoenix and Vegas are perfect example what you can do with a dessert land(although I would look more into places to grow food)

They have an amazing irrigation system in Qatar that you should read about. They turned a barren desert into a thriving oasis.

In order to do that, it seems like we'll need more water. Which probably means we'll have to start desalinating our oceans.... which is basically our rainy day fund. That's a bold and scary step, but one that might be necessary.

They have an amazing irrigation system in Qatar that you should read about. They turned a barren desert into a thriving oasis.

(just found this out while googling)Speaking of building dessert cities looks like Bill Gates is on the case

https://www.cnet.com/news/bill-gates-plans-to-build-a-smart-city-in-arizona-desert/

Bill Gates plans to build a smart city in the Arizona desert

An investment firm controlled by the Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist has bought nearly 25,000 acres about 45 miles west of Phoenix to build a smart city, a community built from the ground up with the idea of integrating technology into its residents' lives. The proposed community, known as Belmont, would serve as a "template" for development of sustainable cities capitalizing on cutting-edge infrastructure, the investment firm Belmont Partners said.

It's not like we have an unlimited supply of water though. We can't build our way out of this problem IMO.

It's not like we have an unlimited supply of water though. We can't build our way out of this problem IMO.

I think it's more a question of money to do stuff then supply. In terms of water as I mentioned we could desalinate salt water, go to places like mountain tops or Antarctica to get fresh water. Better sewage recycle systems. Now in the super expensive category there is many moons and dwarf planets in our solar system that have water(Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Pluto, etc)

Maybe somebody should open a bottled water factory in Antarctica. lol

Chances are that the Antarctic ice sheet will be highly fortified so that only a few will have access to that water. In spite of all the strides we have made in water purification, nearly 1/7 of the world’s population has access to clean water, and America’s clean water situation isn’t all that great either.

I figured, but if there is ever a war over water, you gotta figure that ice sheet would be the #1 prize.

Oh I am sorry I get what you are saying now, for some reason I thought you ment like drilling down 3 miles of ice to get the the fresh water lakes. But yeah you probably right if water because a major commodity I could see countries putting military bases down there(although as it stands now the we have treaties preventing that)

Oh I am sorry I get what you are saying now, for some reason I thought you ment like drilling down 3 miles of ice to get the the fresh water lakes. But yeah you probably right if water because a major commodity I could see countries putting military bases down there(although as it stands now the we have treaties preventing that)

It’s already happening in very poor countries right now, but people are already being priced out of having access to clean water. I see that happening at a global scale when it’s all said & done.

I can't wait to get the hell out of Michigan. I'm finally done with grad school now (yay me), and the governor's race is looking to be a showdown between the pro-Trump attorney general Bill Shuette and.... well, on the DNC side, it hasn't quite worked out yet. The official primary for Michigan isn't until August. there's a white female former state assemblywoman, Gretchen Whitmer, who has some momentum, but (urban) Detroit scarcely knows her. There's also a 32-year old, former city of Detroit health dept. director, Abdul El-Sayed (his family background is Egyptian; and yes, he's muslim). There's also a millionaire east-Indian born trained chemist, Shri Thanedar: his policy positions are Bernie-esque, but if an Intercept article is to be believed, he wasn't committed to either the GOP or the DNC upon meeting a pair of political consultants in early 2017. Poll have him as the Democratic front runner, for now. https://theintercept.com/2018/04/06/shri-thanedar-michigan-millionaire-bernie-sanders-republican/

We'll see what happens.

I organized a "get out the vote" event last month with presenters from the ACLU and an anti-gerrymandering ballot effort here in the state, but apparently I didn't organize well enough because attendance was sparse. ??? sigh....

I'm so very desperate for some progressive changes in the midterms nationwide; but in terms of what's happening in Michigan, I see the continued political/cultural slide toward Mississippi in all but name. Blue collar conservatives (including labor affiliated whites) helped Reagan get over in the 1980s, and bulwarked the fortunes of both Bushes and most recently, Dolt 45. The Tea Party dominates both the state House and state Senate, and despite Michigan's two senators being Democrats (Stabenow and Peters) they can't affect state-based policy. The current governor Rick Snyder is term limited, but his lieutenant governor Bryan Calley is running on Snyder's record, pretty much rationalizing Flint as "bureaucrats" besides the ones he's closest to.

I don't know if this master's degree is going to help me get a better career, or just a pretty way to take up space in my mom's living room, but we'll see...

I can't wait to get the hell out of Michigan. I'm finally done with grad school now (yay me), and the governor's race is looking to be a showdown between the pro-Trump attorney general Bill Shuette and.... well, on the DNC side, it hasn't quite worked out yet. The official primary for Michigan isn't until August. there's a white female former state assemblywoman, Gretchen Whitmer, who has some momentum, but (urban) Detroit scarcely knows her. There's also a 32-year old, former city of Detroit health dept. director, Abdul El-Sayed (his family background is Egyptian; and yes, he's muslim). There's also a millionaire east-Indian born trained chemist, Shri Thanedar: his policy positions are Bernie-esque, but if an Intercept article is to be believed, he wasn't committed to either the GOP or the DNC upon meeting a pair of political consultants in early 2017. Poll have him as the Democratic front runner, for now. https://theintercept.com/2018/04/06/shri-thanedar-michigan-millionaire-bernie-sanders-republican/

We'll see what happens.

I organized a "get out the vote" event last month with presenters from the ACLU and an anti-gerrymandering ballot effort here in the state, but apparently I didn't organize well enough because attendance was sparse. ??? sigh....

I'm so very desperate for some progressive changes in the midterms nationwide; but in terms of what's happening in Michigan, I see the continued political/cultural slide toward Mississippi in all but name. Blue collar conservatives (including labor affiliated whites) helped Reagan get over in the 1980s, and bulwarked the fortunes of both Bushes and most recently, Dolt 45. The Tea Party dominates both the state House and state Senate, and despite Michigan's two senators being Democrats (Stabenow and Peters) they can't affect state-based policy. The current governor Rick Snyder is term limited, but his lieutenant governor Bryan Calley is running on Snyder's record, pretty much rationalizing Flint as "bureaucrats" besides the ones he's closest to.

I don't know if this master's degree is going to help me get a better career, or just a pretty way to take up space in my mom's living room, but we'll see...

Get out of America if you can. It's in decline and will only get worse.

I can't stand how everyone always says 'Get Out To Vote' and 'Get Out to the Polls' and 'We need as many people voting as possible!' No, we don't. We don't need more people voting. We need fewer people voting. What we need more of are educated people voting and unfortunately we don't have nearly enough of those. What would help would be a general civics test for all voters of every stripe. The questions would be general and very basic; who's the Vice President? Who's your Governor? How many Senators are there? You pass, you vote. Raising the voting age either wouldn't hurt either. Every election cycle the late night hosts go to voting booths and ask people there 'who's the Speaker of the House?' 'Ummmm Ronald Reagan?' The audience gets a good laugh. That should scare the piss out of you that these are the people who are helping shape our government.

Or we can keep getting candidates like Trump and Hillary, your choice.

Ahh, ye old reading test. You understand why that was ruled unconstitutional, right?

It wouldn't be a literacy test and every voter age 25 and up would be required to take it.

Also the voting age will be 25 once I'm in charge. Sorry teenage hippies but I don't want you telling me how much of my income should be taxed when you don't even know what income tax is.

The principles are the same.

What it sounds like you are advocating for is better education.

Also the voting age will be 25 once I'm in charge. Sorry teenage hippies but I don't want you telling me how much of my income should be taxed when you don't even know what income tax is.

That is such an arrogant statement. 21 year olds are citizens, and their beliefs and thoughts matter just as much as yours. They may not have a full appreciation of how taxation effects their lives, but you may not have a full appreciation of how important things like education and social welfare are to society.

It's so typical of the baby boom generation at this point. "Oh, sure... I got all these benefits that my parents fought tirelessly for, but I mean... you young kids don't deserve the same benefits we got. You're just entitled, and ruining my ability to retire comfortably!" Absolutely selfish.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a literacy test and every voter age 25 and up would be required to take it.

Some teenagers are actually really smart. This is Kyle Kashuv. While the rest of his friends from Majory Stoneman Douglass were skipping class, Kyle was in D.C. passing legislation to keep our schools safe.

kashuvgun.jpg

Ahh, so what the gun control advocates were doing was just skipping class, and what he was doing was work. Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"