Discussion: The Iraq War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we did....I don't give a **** about the 700 billion dollars spent, I care about the men and women that died over there for a war we shouldn't have been in in the first place.

*sighs*

They are never going to get it....its just not within their ability to understand...

Actually, I think WE are the ones without the ability to understand.

No, they have now been given a chance to make this work. If they do not have the ability to understand that, then that is their problem.

I think we understand fine in that regard....we just didn't understand faulty intelligence in the first place.

That's my point. We don't understand that they do necessarly want democracy. We don't understand you can't force a country to be democratic. Is it any surprise that the sunnis don't want to participate? Would you want to participate in a form of government set up by foreign invaders?

So far, this is playing out exactly like I thought it would when we first started this dumb war, what is it, 7 years ago.

But in reference to what I was talking about above in my post...the Sunni Muslims are the minority in Iraq, and by dropping out of the Iraq's National Election they closed off their voice in the government.

I think a 67% turn out for the National Election tells us they (the people) do want a democracy... We never get that kind of turn out, and we don't have to worry about a bomb going off at the polls. They came out in spite of the danger, I think they do want a democracy.

No one has said it has to look like ours that is why Bush called it an Iraqocracy, ,because he understood it wouldn't be exactly like ours....

But in reference to my post, the Sunni minority totally shut the door on their voice by walking out.

Apparently, the results of the election are 'too close to call', and now the Prime Minister is asking for a manual recount of all ballots.

Yep, I heard that earlier.......well hey, they are now a true Democracy.....lol

Don't right click, middle click, or control click. Same thing happened to me.

Link doesn't work for me..

It's a video that allegedly shows a US Army helicopter opening fire on a Reuters photographer and driver and then on a van that stopped to help the injured people. The US military claimed that they were 'hostiles' despite what the video suggests.

I just saw the unedited video... and maybe I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that laughing and joking about killing someone might be the only sort of lightener that you get. When your job seems to be "the guy that shoots people from a helicopter" you've got to cope with it somehow. And maybe calling people that you don't know dead bastards and laughing afterward helps and maybe it is their fault for bringing children to the site where people were getting shot, even if they were just trying to pick up the bodies of their friends who'd been killed moments earlier. And maybe the video I saw was edited by bleeding heart anti-war protesters... And maybe I just don't understand war and it's magnitude and maybe this is something that has to happen. Maybe it has to happen when we kill people at a Mosque who might be or are insurgents or maybe it has to happen when we bomb the **** out of a school that doubles as a terrorist school...

But I'll be a goddamned monkeys uncle if that soldier is able to come back to the US and re-acclimate and re-assimilate back into the cozy society that we have over here. He's the poor bastard.

According to the AP, the army reserve unit that came under fire for the Abu Ghraib detainee abuse scandal is returning to Iraq at the end of the month.

According to the AP, the army reserve unit that came under fire for the Abu Ghraib detainee abuse scandal is returning to Iraq at the end of the month.

Well, the unit may be returning, but that doesn't mean the actual soldiers involved with Abu Ghraib will be.

Well, the unit may be returning, but that doesn't mean the actual soldiers involved with Abu Ghraib will be.

Weren't the soldiers involved discharged? I can't remember...

According to the AP, Lt. General Lloyd Austin will replace General Ray Odierno as the top commander for US forces in Iraq at the end of the summer. Odierno has been in command since September 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"