Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party - - - - - Part 20

^What, if any, change to border security policies do you think we should do?

A wall probably would be wasteful, the alternative shouldn't just be saying no or doing more of the same from the past. The status quo in place for the last 30 years (including or especially the last 12 years) hasn't been and isn't working particularly well.

Well, concentration camps aren't a solution. Ideally camps that don't hold you like a prisoner, along with other programs to assure they attend immigration hearings, and do not treat them like animals.

What does that mean? Not working well?

Millions did enter illegally in the period, more than in the past, despite that the 1986 reform ostensibly solving the problem.

If you're pissed about illegal immigrants taking jobs, then blame the companies that want to hire people for pennies (like Trump).

They are blameworthy and they should be punished.

Well, concentration camps aren't a solution. Ideally camps that don't hold you like a prisoner, along with other programs to assure they attend immigration hearings, and do not treat them like animals.

Increased border security to prevent illegal entry is different from detention after entry-unless you think it's not, preventing people who want to come from doing so is the same thing, just as illegitimate. Fair point, though, that the Trump administration's current enforcement of policies has been cruel.

The DOJ literally just released a document that said 55 years of crimes committed by illegal immigrants happened in 6.

I do not trust the current government when they say there is a problem.

To you saluting that warmonger neocon McCain...I SAY OH REALLY?! Look at this from 2013...

iu

I'm very much in favor of changing the public perception on John McCain. He shmoozed his way into favor with people who should know better.

The whole way someone becomes the greatest man who ever walked the Earth the moment they die gets really old and sometimes nauseating. It got really old when everyone worshiped John McCain for a week straight, and it got old with George H.W. Bush as well. Neither one of them was the greatest thing ever by a long, long shot.

Neither of them were perfect, but I can disagree with someone while still respecting them all the same. George H. W. Bush made a lot of bad calls, but he's a man of character and respect. He handled the Gulf War with incredible judgement, and he was no villain.... just some guy who's wrong on the issues. I can suffer fools all day long.. it's the cheats and the bullies that I can't suffer. People like Dick Cheney aren't stupid... he's malicious, and that's why he'll never get any forgiveness from me. But Bush and McCain.... yeah... those guys meant well, as far as I can tell.

W. pushes this principle to the limit. While I think he's just an idiot.... his idiocy literally led to the deaths of thousands of innocents. Hard to forgive that... though I'll admit he's probably a nice guy when face to face.

Neither of them were perfect, but I can disagree with someone while still respecting them all the same. George H. W. Bush made a lot of bad calls, but he's a man of character and respect. He handled the Gulf War with incredible judgement, and he was no villain.... just some guy who's wrong on the issues. I can suffer fools all day long.. it's the cheats and the bullies that I can't suffer. People like Dick Cheney aren't stupid... he's malicious, and that's why he'll never get any forgiveness from me. But Bush and McCain.... yeah... those guys meant well, as far as I can tell.

W. pushes this principle to the limit. While I think he's just an idiot.... his idiocy literally led to the deaths of thousands of innocents. Hard to forgive that... though I'll admit he's probably a nice guy when face to face.
I profoundly disagree with this statement.

You know, I really don't want to spend too much time defending the guy. I know Bush was out of touch and responsible for all kinds of troubles. I'm just saying... that to me.., the guy achieved his military goals with relatively few casualties, managing to get out after a short period of time.

His faults were human, and I don't find him to be a bad person.. based on what I know.

Last edited:
I am curious what Romney's play here is. Is he going for being the next McCain?

He wants to be the next George W. Bush but instead will probably just be the next Jeb Bush if not Evan McMullin.

I think most of the Republican opposition to Trump is that from their perspective he isn't nearly enough of a warmonger, way too hesitant to use the military or keep it in combat and even willing to say that doing so isn't necessarily a good idea.

Funny thing about old white men, they will still dismiss what happened 2 months ago.

He wants to be the next George W. Bush but instead will probably just be the next Jeb Bush if not Evan McMullin.

I think most of the Republican opposition to Trump is that from their perspective he isn't nearly enough of a warmonger, way too hesitant to use the military or keep it in combat and even willing to say that doing so isn't necessarily a good idea.

Explain Bolton and why he continually uses "tough guy" talk like "fire and fury" etc.?

He's the most cynical person to ever occupy the Oval Office. He does thing based totally on a calculus of self benefit. If you think he has the soul of a Libertarian, that would first imply he has some kind of coherent political or moral code. He doesn't. He'll take troops out from one place but wait until he starts drumming up support for military action in Iran. Which he will.

I still remember Lindsay Graham asking Sessions how bad it was to be called racist during his confirmation.

It's a small victory but it's a necessary one at this point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"