Disney Going Back To Traditonal Animation Films.

BloodyWolverine

Superhero
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Disney plans to do a couple traditional animated films like some of there all time greatest stuff. I am glad to see this for i kinda missed the traditional animated films. Sure Shrek and Ice Age and Cars are great movies but i kinda missed the classic look to the disney anmated movies. Am i the only one who misses the traditonal disney animated films. I don't mean the sequel dvd releases. I mean movies like The Lion King. Pocohantas. The Hunchback Of Notra Dom and The Little Mermaid.
So who else wants to see a traditonal animation movies come back or is that part in animation dead and cgi movies the future.

When you say traditional do you mean fairy tales or non-cgi non-pixar? Cause Lilo and Stitch only came out like 4 years back or something and before that they were knocking out a few traditional or age old stories (tarzan, hercules, hunchback, beauty and the beast, aladdin,lion king) but yeah I guess it's good (Not that I would check them out...)

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King.

All near perfect.

If they can capture that magic then this is good news.

BloodyWolverine said:
I read somewhere that Disney plans to do a couple traditional animated films like some of there all time greatest stuff. I am glad to see this for i kinda missed the traditional animated films. Sure Shrek and Ice Age and Cars are great movies but i kinda missed the classic look to the disney anmated movies. Am i the only one who misses the traditonal disney animated films. I don't mean the sequel dvd releases. I mean movies like The Lion King. Pocohantas. The Hunchback Of Notra Dom and The Little Mermaid.
So who else wants to see a traditonal animation movies come back or is that part in animation dead and cgi movies the future.

Disney NEVER stopped production on 2D animation, they just switched over to a completely digital workflow, which meant they needed a LOT less animators. They still produce "Traditional" animation, only they use digital tools instead of ink and paint.

How many traditional cultural fables from other countries are left for Disney to steal and make happy meals of? lol

bloodywolverine is right, i was just thinkng that. I grew up with those cartoons. I wish they woould bring back great cartoons like Lion King and Pochantus. Remember when every coupleof months thered be a new one? Thats what disney was best known for.

the reason why Lion King, Aladdin, and anything before the late ninties was good was because of Katezberg (who left to venture out to Dreamworks) and another producer (forgot his name) who passed away. I don't know the whole story but the people who made those movies a success were gone, and what we got was Brother Bear.

Interesting story: Lilo and Stitch was made at the sametime as Brother Bear. However, Disney Execs were more focused on Brother Bear thinking it was the superior movie. That left the guys on Lilo with more freedom to do what they wanted to do.

So Lilo and Stitch became a bigger hit than Brother Bear due to it's creative freedom and lack of Disney restrictions.

Hey what about Mulan and Atlantis the Lost Empire.....those were great traditional (for the most part) disney movies...

I hated Lilo and Stich...

when u think about it, another Aladdin movie would be pretty cool if they can get the original cast back....this time not a direct to video...

but in theatres...!!!:up:

I would go see it....

This is how I see it: After the Lion King Disney kind of went down. It wasn't until Lilo and Stitch that Disney has some juice left.

I want another Hercules movie. He's had enough adventures to have another one.

One recent movie of Disney's that was overlooked in my opinion was Treasure Planet. I thought it looked nice and all though the story has been done to death I still liked it.

It's good that they are going back towards traditional. As much as I like the CGI I think I like the Traditional style more.

I liked Treasure Planet, and Atlantis (Course that could be because Mignola did concept art for it)

It should be interesting to see if they go with an adaptation or go for something new.

I definitely miss traditional animation. Fantasia is #3 of my top 10 favorite movies ever. IMO, that's how animation's supposed to look. And as far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And that's not to say that there shouldn't be your Shreks and Toy Stories...just don't completely abandon classic art forms when something different comes along.

But once it came apparant that 2D was dead, then animation died for me. I watched and loved The Incredibles (due to comic/superhero nerdocity)...but everything else I stay away from...just on principle...I think 2D should live on.

Octoberist said:
the reason why Lion King, Aladdin, and anything before the late ninties was good was because of Katezberg (who left to venture out to Dreamworks) and another producer (forgot his name) who passed away. I don't know the whole story but the people who made those movies a success were gone, and what we got was Brother Bear.

Interesting story: Lilo and Stitch was made at the sametime as Brother Bear. However, Disney Execs were more focused on Brother Bear thinking it was the superior movie. That left the guys on Lilo with more freedom to do what they wanted to do.

So Lilo and Stitch became a bigger hit than Brother Bear due to it's creative freedom and lack of Disney restrictions.

Your thinking of Frank Gold... Before the early 90s, Disney had hit another low point or at least what was consider a low point at the time, during which the following movies came out "Fox and the Hound" (1981), "Black Cauldron" (1985), "The Great Mouse Detective" (1986), and Oliver & Company (1988). I recently saw Oliver and Company a lot of potential but it just wasn't quite clicking and the animation style was very raw. This is when Katzenburg, Gold, and Eisner enter the fold, together this triumpverate*SP manage to bring Disney to greatness and make it the empire it is today however, Frank Gold died and Katzenburg moved on thus leaving the money man in charge(Eisner) and led to it's downfall. It's going through a slump like it usually does, and it'll pick up soon... Till then Studio Ghibli been producing films that rival, if not better Disney classics.

For record, both CGI and 2d animation have there strengths and weaknesses. For example CGI is much better for action films and actual fluid motion than say 2d, but I find 2nd can be absolutely stunningly beautiful like a piece of artwork. There both two different mediums, that are neither better nor worse than each other, and neither should be discounted since there both highly effective when used to there strengths.

I would love some more high-quality Disney animated movies. I think they did some of their all-time best work in the '90s.

Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast
and some of the lesser-appreciated films but I absolutely love... Hercules and Tarzan

other than those, I think Peter Pan and Robin Hood are my faves

I'm glad that now we have Digital ink and paint (for 2d animation). The thing that bothered me about cel animation is the "Wobbliness" of the characters, it just looked odd with the characters outlines constanley moving.

Aladdin, Lion King. Two great Disney movies. I hope Disney can make some more magic.

livrule said:
Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King.

All near perfect.

Beauty + Beast and The Lion King should have won Best Picture Oscars.

mathhater said:
I definitely miss traditional animation. Fantasia is #3 of my top 10 favorite movies ever. IMO, that's how animation's supposed to look. And as far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And that's not to say that there shouldn't be your Shreks and Toy Stories...just don't completely abandon classic art forms when something different comes along.

But once it came apparant that 2D was dead, then animation died for me. I watched and loved The Incredibles (due to comic/superhero nerdocity)...but everything else I stay away from...just on principle...I think 2D should live on.

2D was never dead. Disney never stopped 2D animation.

In traditonal animated films i mean not like Shrek 3 dementional kind of animation. I mean a movie like The Lion King and not the kind on dvd. I ment theator released film like all the other disney animated films up to Home on The Range. After Shrek it seemed liek everyone looked for the big buck Shrek route. Instead on style they went for the now thing. I myself grew up on animated films from Snow White until Treasure Planet. I like the animated cartoons not the new style. A cartoon should be that not a hyped up video game style. I don't mean to offend people who like the new animated style its just i liked the way Disney made movies before Toy Story and what not.

The ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast is awesome (animation wise).

I'm kinda reluctant to believe this.

If it's true, I feel bad for all the animators that Disney laid off.

Mulan is my all time favorite Disney movie, but I love them all.

Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid would round out my top 5 I think.

Anyways, is it true what I heard about something happening with Disney/McDonalds and after POTC2, no more disney movies will be made into happy meal toys?

I forget where I even heard this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"