Disney Going Back To Traditonal Animation Films.

Kevin Roegele said:
Beauty + Beast and The Lion King should have won Best Picture Oscars.
I absolutely agree, but at least Beauty and the Beast was nominated. The Lion King was totally snubbed.

I'm really excited about this. Like most of everyone else here. I grew up on Disney's hand drawn masterpieces. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era of good quality animated/musical film fair:D:up:

Spidey-Bat said:
I'm kinda reluctant to believe this.

If it's true, I feel bad for all the animators that Disney laid off.

This is the LAST time I am going to say this. Disney laid of animators because they were switching to an all digital workflow. They were using computers as a tool to create 2D animation...they never stopped making 2D animation, nor did they intend to. They will still need less animators than they did when it was an ink and paint operation.

BloodyWolverine said:
I read somewhere that Disney plans to do a couple traditional animated films like some of there all time greatest stuff. I am glad to see this for i kinda missed the traditional animated films. Sure Shrek and Ice Age and Cars are great movies but i kinda missed the classic look to the disney anmated movies. Am i the only one who misses the traditonal disney animated films. I don't mean the sequel dvd releases. I mean movies like The Lion King. Pocohantas. The Hunchback Of Notra Dom and The Little Mermaid.
So who else wants to see a traditonal animation movies come back or is that part in animation dead and cgi movies the future.

I miss them. But I have doubts of their short feature, "The Little Matchgirl", because, like Hunchback of Notre Dame, it's supposed to be a tragedy. If "Little Matchgirl" has a happy ending I'll puke. :down

I'm trying to think of a great fantasy story that actually has a happy ending.

They used all the good fairy tales already

I wouldn't mind a Pirates Of The Caribbean Animated movie. That could be how they could geta jump start back in traditional animated films. I believe they are doing The Frog Prince. Lets what fairy tales could Disney do that has not been done. Well Lilo and Stich was no fairy tale movie really nore was Lion King. So you can come up with an animate dfilm without a fairy tale lable to it.
Little Red Riding Hood has never been done and i don't consdier Hoodwinked the style i mean. I am sure there are historical or other fantasy characters that could be made into an animated film.

Well they don't just do fairy tales either, Treasure Planet was based off of Treasure Island, Pochontas was inspired by historical events. There is a lot they can work from.

There are still fairy tales I'm sure they haven't done either.

I still own all of the Disney animated features from the late 80's/all of the 90's on VHS.

bluejake01 said:
This is the LAST time I am going to say this. Disney laid of animators because they were switching to an all digital workflow. They were using computers as a tool to create 2D animation...they never stopped making 2D animation, nor did they intend to. They will still need less animators than they did when it was an ink and paint operation.

I still feel bad for them. They had actual talent. Any idiot can take a picture and color it with a computer.

Batattack said:
I still own all of the Disney animated features from the late 80's/all of the 90's on VHS.
I suggest you buy them on dvd or get a dvd player. There not too expensive as they once were. Ofcourse like on vhs some titles are only released for a few short months. I baught alot of my disney dvds on E-Bay.

Spidey-Bat said:
I still feel bad for them. They had actual talent. Any idiot can take a picture and color it with a computer.

Any idot can trace a picture onto a cel and paint it.

BloodyWolverine said:
I suggest you buy them on dvd or get a dvd player. There not too expensive as they once were. Ofcourse like on vhs some titles are only released for a few short months. I baught alot of my disney dvds on E-Bay.
I've had a DVD player since 2001, I just don't want to buy them on DVD.

bluejake01 said:
Any idot can trace a picture onto a cel and paint it.

Obviously, but an idiot can't make it look like a masterpiece.

bluejake01 said:
2D was never dead. Disney never stopped 2D animation.

Okay...but show me a new theatrical, traditional looking animated movie (in the vein of "Aladdin" or "The Lion King")

There are none...EVERY animated movie out today is entirely CG..."Cars," "The Ant Bully," "Monster House," etc. There are no more "Snow Whites" or "Fantasias" and that's sad.

Spidey-Bat said:
Obviously, but an idiot can't make it look like a masterpiece.

The same is true with computers. The digital canvas is a tool, no more, no less. It takes just as much artistry to make it look good as it does to make traditional mediums look good.

bluejake01 said:
The same is true with computers. The digital canvas is a tool, no more, no less. It takes just as much artistry to make it look good as it does to make traditional mediums look good.
It is far easier to use a computer to paint than it is to paint by hand.

Super_Ludacris said:
How many traditional cultural fables from other countries are left for Disney to steal and make happy meals of? lol
Lol! So true .. though, I'm curious to see what Disney has up its sleeve.

Batattack said:
I've had a DVD player since 2001, I just don't want to buy them on DVD.
Why not i've had them on vhs too and then turned around and baught them on dvd when i couldn't hardly get vhs besides Walmart and E-Bay.
I will likely switch if they come up with something else on movies. I however imagine dvds will be around for a while.

Lets see what Disney animated films do i have on dvd.
1 The Lion King.
2 The Hunchback Of Notra Dom.
3 Hercules.
4 Pocohantas 1 and 2.
5 Bambi 1 and 2.
6 Snow White.
7 Peter Pan.
8 Beauty And The Beast.
9 The Jungle Book.
10 Robin Hood.

Spidey-Bat said:
It is far easier to use a computer to paint than it is to paint by hand.
Are you by chance an artist? You sure as **** don't sound like one, and if you are, you are the worst kind of pretentious ******* art school drone. Digital art is sometimes more complex than traditional media. In fact, creating something beautiful that looks like traditional media on a digital canvas is more difficult than using the traditional media. Even though the movie is crap, Bambi 2 roxors my soxors...because they used Photoshop to duplicate and recreate the water color look of the original film. It's a beautiful piece of animation, purely from an artistic perspective, and it is a technical achievement that can't be denied. 99% of the film was completed using photoshop...that is awesome.

Majik1387 said:
I want another Hercules movie. He's had enough adventures to have another one.

One recent movie of Disney's that was overlooked in my opinion was Treasure Planet. I thought it looked nice and all though the story has been done to death I still liked it.

I second that! After The Lion King, Hecules is my favorite Disney film. Now that they're doing PG-13 movies (POTC), maybe Disney would consider a darker Hercules, one that tells how he, in an insane stupor, killed Meg and their children, and was sentenced to the acts of repentence. (I've forgotten how many.)

:oAlright, don't get angry, I know it'll never happen...

No I mean cel animated (hand drawn), Home on the range was digital ink and paint I think.

How about an Animaniacs movie which isn't a musical (I'm looking at you, Wakko's Wish!)?

Of course that's Warner Bros... but do you even remember how great the writing on that show and "Pinky & the Brain" was? From there we get... Mucha Lucha... uhhh???... Jackie Chan Adventures... Xiolin Showdown (isn't it spelled "Shaolin"?)... and compared to the other garbage they are pushing out the door, some of The Batman actually looks good.... but where did all lunatic writers go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"