Disney Movie Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are great! I really like the Timon and Pumbaa one.

Still have to wait for 2D features...

http://www.slashfilm.com/walt-disne...-developing-any-hand-drawn-animated-features/

Walt Disney Company Currently Not Developing Any Hand-Drawn Animated Features

Posted on Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 by Germain Lussier
walt-disney-animation-studios-logo-550x309.jpg

The studio that helped pioneer 2D, hand drawn, theatrical animation is currently at a crossroads with the process. At Wednesday’s Walt Disney Company shareholder’s meeting, CEO Bob Iger revealed none of Disney’s animation companies, which includes Disney Animation, Pixar and Disney Toons, are currently developing, or have plans to develop, any 2D, hand drawn animation for the big screen. He’s not ruling it out, but the current slate - which probably stretches 3-4 years – has none of it.

The only place the company is currently continuing the tradition is on some of their animated television shows.

With 3D theatrical animation becoming so lucrative for studios these days, this doesn’t exactly come as a surprise. The target audience, young kids, have come to expect a certain aesthetic in their movies. The Pixar aesthetic. Even the other animation studios, such as Blue Sky or DreamWorks, have been emulating that for a while. Not to mention a younger generation of animators currently working in features are likely much more proficient on a Mac rather than with a pencil and paper.

It makes an animation fan wonder, is hand drawn animation dead?

[Update: This next paragraph has been edited as I made a minor mistake differentiating between Princess and the Frog instead of Winnie the Pooh.]

Disney’s last hand-drawn theatrical feature was 2011′s Winnie the Pooh, which grossed a paltry $33 million worldwide. Iger, almost expectedly, forgot that when addressing the question and incorrectly stated that 2009′s The Princess and the Frog was their last hand-drawn film. That film was a success, grossing $267 million worldwide. However, juxtapose it to the Disney animation films that came before and after that. Bolt, which grossed $310 million and Tangled, which grossed $590 million. Obviously, that could have something to do with the quality of those films, but the bottom line surely isn’t lost on the company. (Winnie the Pooh even bolsters the point further. It was critically adored, but publicly forgotten.)

I’d imagine, somewhere down the road, a Disney fan who works their way up in the company will come to the executives with an original, hand-drawn animated idea and it’ll be sold as Disney’s return to their roots. But according to the CEO, that isn’t happening anytime soon, especially not on the big screen. Hand drawn animation isn’t dead, but it’s certainly on life support.

for some reason, I find the fact that snow white was 14 to be extremely disturbing.

ironically, Rapunzel's near the higher end of the age range, but she probably acts the youngest!! :woot:

but, I'm surprised Jasmine and Snow White were supposed to be that young!! :wow:

oh, and in other news, there's word going around that, with Frozen, Disney will introduce 2 new princesses into the lineup...........both Anna AND Elsa!!

also, it seems Anna may now be more of a redhead?? :(

The original article on those Disney princess is from Buzzfeed and it has no actual source. But it seems pretty accurate, though Snow White seemed more 16 than 14. Nothing disturbing about them either when you consider historically they're set during the medieval or renaissance periods where the marrying age was around 16.

Jasmine to me is the hottest Disney princess and i always adored her since i was 11 when i saw Aladdin in theaters 5 times and i remembered having dirty fantasies about her when i was a tween/teen especially in that red harem outfit look.

Now i've been a Disney fan since i saw Pinocchio 84 re-issue in theaters when i was 3 as that was the first movie i ever saw and the first non-re issue Disney movie ever saw in theaters was The Black Cauldron 3 times as i had stuffed Gurgi doll, coloring books, readalong with cassette and computer game as i seen every Disney movie since.

It does not surprise me that even the people at Disney do not remember Winnie the Pooh. I feel like they basically tried to sweep it under the rug. It was like you had to like seek out trailers/ads for the movie, as opposed to being bombarded with them like other movies.

Not to mention it was released on the same day as the last Harry Potter movie.

Yeah, that might not have been the best call. I did my part by seeing Winnie the Pooh opening weekend instead o Harry Potter (and I love Harry Potter, by the way).

654fev.jpg

just got this bad boy from overseas in the mail :up:

sorry to hear about walt's daughter :(

I've always disliked the Aladdin portrait but I think most of them are fantastic. The Brave and the Snow White are probably my favorite, dat Rachel Weisz. :awesome:

I actually like the Aladdin one but HATE the Peter Pan portrait. And Genie and Tiana should have been portrayed by their voice actors. And I kinda want to see Queen Latifa as Ursula in a live action remake now that I've seen that portrait.

Works
Jessica Chastain as Merida
Taylor Swift as Rapunzel
Russell Brand as Captain Hook
Jeff Bridges and Penelope Cruz as the Beast & Belle
Olivia Wilde as Snow White‘s Evil Queen brilliant
Rachel Weisz as Snow White
Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella
Michael Phelps as a Mereman
Julie Andrews as the bluefairy

Man, Taylor Swift as Rapunzel = :hrt:

Hang on, Merida is a Pixar character.

I'm aware but she's a Pixar creation, it seems like Disney have just taken her on as one of their own.

I'm aware but she's a Pixar creation, it seems like Disney have just taken her on as one of their own.

I don't think it matters, Buzz Lightyear and Lightning McQueen are Disney characters too not just Pixar for example. The video game Disney Infinity is filled with mostly Pixar characters. These characters do belong to Disney as much as Pixar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"