Disney Purchases LucasFilm, Confirms Star Wars: Episode VII

Okay, this is from a UK tabloid so take it with a grain of salt. But remember how there were some of us who speculated on whether or not Disney would have Darth Vader return? Well...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected
This was my fear about the sequels, especially since they are out of the hands of George Lucas. George seemed to have such a knack for creating characters, big and minor, that I feel like whomever takes over simply will end up recycling as many previous characters as possible. It's a simply easier way to continue the franchise too. If you just spend 4 billion you probably aren't going to risk that amount of money by throwing out a whole bunch of untested ideas when you have Lucas' army of already popular characters.

Nolan doing Bond would be cool. It all depends in his relationship to WB I suppose.

I would be interested in seeing what his take on a scifi/paranormal thriller like the Xfiles would look like.

Bringing Vader back makes no sense, and if they bring him back as a villain, well that's just downright offensive.

My money is on Joe Johnston to be the new director.

They have around 20 years of Eu they could use. The Thrawn Trilogy would be interesting to see done. There's no sense to bringing back anyone who's already dead. Vader, Yoda, except maybe Palpatine. He does come back in the EU and causes a huge ****storm.

They have around 20 years of Eu they could use. The Thrawn Trilogy would be interesting to see done. There's no sense to bringing back anyone who's already dead. Vader, Yoda, except maybe Palpatine. He does come back in the EU and causes a huge ****storm.

The EU was never considered canon by Lucas, so I doubt we will ever seen anything adapted from it. Maybe some of the characters might pop up, but that's all I'd expect to see.

This makes me wonder if they will finally break "movie canon" and start bringing in the rainbow's worth of lightsabers from the Expanded Universe.

I hope not. I like that Lucas kept it simple.

The EU was never considered canon by Lucas, so I doubt we will ever seen anything adapted from it.
Except for all those things from the EU that he wrote into the prequels, of course. :o

The EU was never considered canon by Lucas, so I doubt we will ever seen anything adapted from it. Maybe some of the characters might pop up, but that's all I'd expect to see.

He took what he wanted from it and left the rest alone. It's not his decision anymore so he can take his 4 billion and go away.

He took what he wanted from it and left the rest alone. It's not his decision anymore so he can take his 4 billion and go away.

And Disney will do the same. I doubt they will fully adapt any of the stories, but they will take the aspects or characters from it that they want, if any.

They've already outright said they're not directly adapting any EU stories into Episode 7.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some direct adaptations once they start with the spin-off movies. Can you imagine the Han Solo Trilogy committed to film? Or a spin-off series about Rogue Squadron? It'd be awesome. And I could see them doing something like that. But never for the main "episodes".

The E.T. Sequel That Never Was - Spielberg sheds some light on the darker side of E.T. and his pals.

George Lucas' attack of the clones - There was a reason why Spielberg let 'E.T.' stay home
Brian Lowry said:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things," the protagonist says in "The Shawshank Redemption." "And no good thing ever dies."

In movie parlance, substitute "a box office hit" for "hope," and you have a good template for the current mentality of the business.

Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm brought the welcome news there will be another trilogy of "Star Wars" films, which is hardly a surprise. That portion of the announcement represented a balm to Wall Street, offering instant hope of the studio recouping its $4 billion investment.

Except George Lucas himself stated when the second trio of "Star Wars" movies were produced those chapters would mark the end of the line.

"I will not do VII, VIII and IX," he told reporters as he launched the prequels in 1999, insisting nobody else would either. "This is it. This is all there is."

The return of Lucas' Jedi thus provides a reminder how the movie business has evolved, to the point where nothing successful can be allowed to fade away.

In that respect, it's fascinating to peruse the filmography of Steven Spielberg, and realize while versions of "Jaws" and Indiana Jones kept resurfacing, "E.T. the Extraterrestrial" didn't just go home -- but remarkably, actually stayed there.

This year at the American Film Institute, Spielberg addressed why an "E.T." sequel -- discussed, but scratched -- never happened.

"Sequels can be very dangerous because they compromise your truth as an artist," he said. "I think a sequel to 'E.T.' would do nothing but rob the original of its virginity. People only remember the latest episode, while the pilot tarnishes."

It's certainly one reason why "E.T." is remembered so fondly. If only the director had applied the same rigor to Indy, fans would have been spared the survive-nuclear-blast-in-refrigerator interlude.

The steadfast reliance on movie franchises has changed since "E.T." went over the moon 30 years ago. Yes, there were sequels, but the notion of eternal cinematic life hadn't evolved to the point it's reached today.

From that perspective, it's hard to imagine a studio sitting idly by for a creative demurral, even with a filmmaker of Spielberg's clout, simply to protect the perceived virtue of a film yielding such a stellar payoff.

Similarly, consider James Bond, who spent nearly three decades fighting a version of the Cold War on screen, only to soldier on 20 more years after the Berlin Wall fell -- reinventing himself several times along the way -- as MGM (and now Sony) desperately clawed for something to roar about.

More improbably, the 23rd Bond feature, "Skyfall," demonstrates even with such a long-in-the-tooth commodity it's possible to exhibit wit and ingenuity as well as nostalgia. That's quite an accomplishment when, as Wall Street Journal critic Joe Morgenstern noted, Bond "by any rational measure is a vestige of a vanished era."

There's an interesting dichotomy here between movies and TV, which explains in part why the latter's creative and cultural esteem has risen, while film -- at least in terms of major studios -- is occasionally dismissed as a widget factory, churning out superhero sequels and summer tentpoles, with little room for prestige fare on release schedules.

Once predicated on slavishly replicating success for as long as possible, TV has become richer and more complex by allowing producers of programs like "Lost" and "Breaking Bad" to designate end dates and build toward them. By contrast, even if movies foster the illusion of closure, no one believes there won't be more Batman films just because director Christopher Nolan completed his trilogy and opted to move on.

If the current model represents a triumph of commerce, the audience's complicity makes it difficult to second-guess studios for clinging to proven titles -- enabling them to extend Bond past his logical expiration date and reboot Spider-Man in record time.

That said, it's still comforting to think we weren't visited with multiple incarnations of "E.T.," instead allowing the wrinkled botanist to escape into the night sky, forever.

Unlike some sci fi, "Star Wars" -- with its Saturday-matinee sensibilities -- isn't accused of being especially prescient. Yet in one of his titles, Lucas inadvertently forecast the trend in movies: "Attack of the Clones."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"