Disney to locate A Wrinkle In Time

I honestly just think it's because it's a bad movie. Sure that could be a component, but the bad quality is always the main culprit. If this were great, sure you'd get that stupid backlash that only exist as a loud minority that a lot of the internet unintentionally gives too much credence to, but the reason why Black Panther is doing well first is because it's a quality movie. I'm not downplaying the importance of diversity, just it's a film that has something to say about race yet is a well told story in doing so, which creates that praise and importance. A movie can't just rely on intent.

The prevailing conversation seems to circle around critics not providing their 2cents like any other movie or trying too hard because of who's in the movie.

Correct. I wouldn't be having a problem with this if critics just were more honest.

I hate "Disney pays off critics!" conspiracy theories and 99% of the time critics tell it like it is. But it's another case where I think this is more of a fringe internet thing building it to be more than what it is.

And you gotta remember, this has a rotten rating on RT. This ain't a Ghostbusters remake situation where I truly think some critics were afraid to give it a rotten review out of fear of backlash. For all the uproar on both sides, Ghostbusters was truly a turd of a movie and it disappeared like a fart in the wind (Anybody remember Ghost Corp?). This is no exception.

By the end of the month, the conversation like any bad movie will wane. We have to remember the internet and the heat of things makes things seem a lot more urgent and important than they actually are because it's now.

It's not the first time a beloved young-person's fantasy novel has faceplanted critically and commercially. The Seeker/The Dark Is Rising is another example of that. Not sure why these 1960s era novels seem to be difficult to adapt.

It seems to be because Hollywood insists on dumbing them down and filtering them through the Young Adult Story lens to make it more marketable. It makes what may be a unique idea into something that ultimately is presented rather generically.

The trailers were full of those "You're the chosen one" type platitudes. I think people are becoming bored with simply being told these ideas exist.

The prevailing conversation seems to circle around critics not providing their 2cents like any other movie or trying too hard because of who's in the movie.

I think part of the problem is people have put so much unneeded pressure on the director to be some sort of symbol for change that they’ve kinda forgotten to actually treat the film as a film. Quite a number of the reviews I’ve read seem to focus on it being a kids film, but that’s not a valid excuse to give a movie a pass. Once critics start holding back from a film art suffers in the long term, because without proper criticism lessons can’t be learned from the artist. The only way they get better is if people are honest.

I think part of the problem is people have put so much unneeded pressure on the director to be some sort of symbol for change that they’ve kinda forgotten to actually treat the film as a film. Quite a number of the reviews I’ve read seem to focus on it being a kids film, but that’s not a valid excuse to give a movie a pass. Once critics start holding back from a film art suffers in the long term, because without proper criticism lessons can’t be learned from the artist. The only way they get better is if people are honest.
Okay, what kind of bad is it?
Is it horrible in every conceivable area from casting to VFX or is it just a muddled script?

Okay, what kind of bad is it?
Is it horrible in every conceivable area from casting to VFX or is it just a muddled script?

It's apparently really generic. The guy's video I posted kept it simple, Disney could have saved a lot of money if instead it was one of their tv movies.

It's apparently really generic. The guy's video I posted kept it simple, Disney could have saved a lot of money if instead it was one of their tv movies.

Heh, well then they could've saved A LOT of money because they already made a tv movie version of this back in 2003...

If people hate the film, they should just flat out say it, regardless of whatever the Twitterverse feels.

Why would they expose themselves willingly to all the inevitable outrage/backlash there'd be over that though.

This is a world in which reviewers lives are threatened over not adoring The Dark Knight Rises as the second coming of Baby Jebus.

I think we can read between the lines here. Most reviewers think this thing is a major mess, they're just going to be a little more polite about it due to Ava being a big deal in the "women's movement" or "Oscars so white!" or whatever - they're getting their point across while simultaneously trying to avoid being singled out for verbal napalm and worse. Can't really blame them.

I guess for many critics - especially the "woke" ones - it kinda hurts to admit that the first movie with a budget of more than $100 million directed by a black woman is a failure. And I can't even blame them, given how Hollywood usually treats women directors.

Why would they expose themselves willingly to all the inevitable outrage/backlash there'd be over that though.

This is a world in which reviewers lives are threatened over not adoring The Dark Knight Rises as the second coming of Baby Jebus.

I think we can read between the lines here. Most reviewers think this thing is a major mess, they're just going to be a little more polite about it due to Ava being a big deal in the "women's movement" or "Oscars so white!" or whatever - they're getting their point across while simultaneously trying to avoid being singled out for verbal napalm and worse. Can't really blame them.

Who would be thin-skinned enough to actually be worried about how some random keyboard warriors -who they'll never meet and probably don't know- respond in regards to their opinion on the film? That's even sadder if we're at the point where critics have to walk on eggshells just to avoid outright badmouthing a film that they know is bad, but don't want to go too far.

At most, they lose...what, 10 Twitter followers? Their tweet gets screen grabbed in the inevitable Honest Trailers video about this film? Not exactly a huge loss.

Who would be thin-skinned enough to actually be worried about how some random keyboard warriors -who they'll never meet and probably don't know- respond in regards to their opinion on the film? That's even sadder if we're at the point where critics have to walk on eggshells just to avoid outright badmouthing a film that they know is bad, but don't want to go too far.

At most, they lose...what, 10 Twitter followers? Their tweet gets screen grabbed in the inevitable Honest Trailers video about this film? Not exactly a huge loss.

You'd be surprised. The online film community is very concerned how they're perceived. Most if not all want to be seen as these beacon's of diversity and that they support everyone. At least from what I've seen.
Being seen as no supporting that would hurt their feelings.

Their feelings? The hell with their feelings. Do your job. Like for example, was just reading this one review, sort of, on the Huffington Post- don't know how I stumbled onto that site of all places, which had this noteworthy excerpt:

The movie isn’t great for many reasons. I can’t pretend that some of its more earnest lines didn’t make me cringe, that it wasn’t at various points clunky, disjointed and unsure of itself. But the movie also spoke to me on an emotional level that, yes, made it easier for me — a young black woman who grew up with deep self-hatred, who believed she’d never accomplish anything in life and had few things in her world to suggest the opposite — to look away from its problems.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-wrinkle-in-time-ava-duvernay_us_5aa27655e4b07047bec58d99

Therein lies the problem, though I'm sure she got a couple extra retweets and likes on Twitter that just made her day.

i think with social network a critic can be destroyed in 1 week.

I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying what it is.

No, you're right. It's just a sad state of affairs. That was pointed out on the Double Toasted review where apparently with this, if a critic isn't seen as supportive of this- and I guess by extension that makes them not supportive of diversity- then they're the spawn of Satan.

No, you're right. It's just a sad state of affairs. That was pointed out on the Double Toasted review where apparently with this, if a critic isn't seen as supportive of this- and I guess by extension that makes them not supportive of diversity- then they're the spawn of Satan.

Very good review from them

But yeah it is what it is. You know it's funny when you look at certain sites like Collider they all cry for diversity in Hollywood but none of their main writing staff are people of color and sometimes they don't even had LGBT main staff. Or the only women of color that they have are just eye candy hosts.
These sites/people just need to stroke their egos to make themselves feel better.

But yeah it is what it is. You know it's funny when you look at certain sites like Collider they all cry for diversity in Hollywood but none of their main writing staff are people of color and sometimes they don't even had LGBT main staff. Or the only women of color that they have are just eye candy hosts.
These sites/people just need to stroke their egos to make themselves feel better.

Not surprising considering how cluelessly racist and patronizing it is to automatically lavish praise on a bad movie just because a minority directed it. It’s like patting them on the head and telling them they gave a good try.

This goes beyond left and right political infighting, social media is being used as a weapon to try and shut people down. I think it was Dan over at Screen Junkies who said he didn’t rip into JL because he didn’t want to deal with the backlash he would have gotten. People are now having to choose their words so carefully now out of fear of having their reputations destroyed. It’s robbing people the right to speak freely. People should be allowed to question things without being called some horrible label. What’s missing is nuanced discussion. You can’t have proper dialogue with someone over 280 characters or an Instagram post.

Their feelings? The hell with their feelings. Do your job. Like for example, was just reading this one review, sort of, on the Huffington Post- don't know how I stumbled onto that site of all places, which had this noteworthy excerpt:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-wrinkle-in-time-ava-duvernay_us_5aa27655e4b07047bec58d99

Therein lies the problem, though I'm sure she got a couple extra retweets and likes on Twitter that just made her day.

Wait...what exactly are you perceiving as a problem? That the movie spoke to her on an emotional level?

This goes beyond left and right political infighting, social media is being used as a weapon to try and shut people down. I think it was Dan over at Screen Junkies who said he didn’t rip into JL because he didn’t want to deal with the backlash he would have gotten. People are now having to choose their words so carefully now out of fear of having their reputations destroyed. It’s robbing people the right to speak freely. People should be allowed to question things without being called some horrible label. What’s missing is nuanced discussion. You can’t have proper dialogue with someone over 280 characters or an Instagram post.

Yeah it was him. But it was a little bit more. He received a "serious" death threat similar to what Clarke Wolfe and some others did around BvS. And while it's easy for any of us who have never received a death threat to say "just shake it off" I get someone being tepid about something like that.
But also in that case, maybe get a different line of work

Wait...what exactly are you perceiving as a problem? That the movie spoke to her on an emotional level?

The last part, where because of whatever connection the film made with her meant she could look past its flaws. You can have a connection with a film, sure, but it shouldn't make you blind to its problems. I feel, anyway.

This just reminded me I wanted to read the following book to AWIT, A SWIFTLY TILTING PLANET to my youngest kid as bedtime reading.

Maybe I'm just projecting or being cynical, but I think a lot of these online film personalities (and people in general) care way less about diversity than they let on. I say I may be projecting because personally if I'm being honest, I don't care. It just does nothing for me and I would never get on a soapbox and put out some rallying cry in favor of it. Not that I'm AGAINST it, but it doesn't factor into my life in any way. Maybe that's white privilege :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"