Disney to locate A Wrinkle In Time

I was actually asking myself the same question a few hours ago.
Given the strength of Black Panther, 32 million almost seems like a best case scenario to me.
Well I would say best case scenario considering the bad reviews.

Putting the racism subject aside.

Ok, go back to what you were talking about.

Last edited:
I knew this was going to suck based on the early draft, but some seem straight up waiting for Ava to fail.

I knew this was going to suck based on the early draft, but some seem straight up waiting for Ava to fail.
It seems that even as this movie isn't reviewing well at all, people are upset the critics aren't crushing the life out of it. It is at the very least strange.

Yeah. You read the last couple of pages and you would get the impression that it's scoring well despite being underwhelming. Then I checked Rotten tomatoes and it has a 42 percent tomato meter. Apparently critics are trashing it just fine. They haven't cowed to the tyranny of sjw feminazis and diversity Marxists and the post modern police.

Well, film twitter is to blame for that. They love to tear into films/directors when a film sucks. I was mostly talking about none critics. Ava pretty much called out the system and Colin Trevorrow in a way, but then she gets her own shot at a big budget and fails to deliver. It was going to bring some hate... I suppose.

Well, film twitter is to blame for that. They love to tear into films/directors when a film sucks. I was mostly talking about none critics. Ava pretty much called out the system and Colin Trevorrow in a way, but then she gets her own shot at a big budget and fails to deliver. It was going to bring some hate... I suppose.
Ava called Out Colin Trevorrow?
When did that happen?

Why is it a competition or some war though?

My problem with the Colin Trevorrow thing is, that dude isn't part of the problem. Sorry but he's not. Young director offered a big opportunity to direct a huge Jurassic Park sequel. He took it, and it did well. Why is it his fault he got the job? Is Trevorrow supposed to say, "No. I don't want the job. Give it to this aspiring female director, I know will do it great!" That's ridiculous. Unless Trevorrow is some type of social activist, it's not his job to make sure that happens. He got an opportunity to advance his career and take a big step. He took it and it worked.

Now let me be clear. I'm not saying more women or minorities shouldn't be offered those jobs or opportunities. But just because a Colin Trevorrow gets that opportunity doesn't mean the guy has to be shamed and dragged through the mud because he got to make Jurassic Park as his second movie.

The Russos' second ****ing movie was The Winter Soldier. Their first movie was bloody Me Myself and Dupree. And they had some TV episodes of a sitcom they worked on called Community. I'm sorry but those are a lot of red flags. Based on those ideas, you wouldn't expect they would've put out one of the best MCU movies ever.

If I have a point here, stop trying to assign blame, scapegoats and point the finger at your peers. Yes, vocally support the changes, but I think you can do it without insulting other people.

Ava DuVernay is not the first female director to make a big budget flop. Lots of talented directors have had flops. It's the nature of the business. She can bounce back from this. Even Spielberg has directed prolific flops. Dude's not perfect contrary to popular belief.

So I'm also saying don't rake her over the coals either. So this was her first big movie and it didn't go over all that well. It happens. It's hardly an indictment of her entire career.

Ava called Out Colin Trevorrow?
When did that happen?

I don't remember who specifically, but a while ago there was a lot of backlash on Colin Trevorrow on social media on being a director who got the Jurassic World job as his second film. His only previous work was a really cheap low budget indie drama that was fairly well received, but it was a pretty big leap going from that to Jurassic World. By comparison, numerous female directors were not getting those type of opportunities in the industry.

So basically, Trevorrow was made a scapegoat because it's not fair that a man gets the job over a woman.

Eh, Trevorrow also kinda said female directors weren't interested in big budget movies or something like that, which got him more heat. I don't want to search for the exact quote. Eh. lol

Also Jurassic World sucked dinoballs (aren’t I clever?).

I think Duvernay's career will be fine. She probably won't get another $100 million movie for a while though.

Colin Trevorrow's work being sexist at best, misogynistic at worst is something that doesn't help his case. Nor does his sexist words beyond that.

By the looks of their tweets, they've still been on good terms. I'm guessing it had to do with what Trevorrow said about female directors having less of a desire to do big budget blockbusters for the sake of doing big budget blockbusters.

Why is it a competition or some war though?

My problem with the Colin Trevorrow thing is, that dude isn't part of the problem. Sorry but he's not. Young director offered a big opportunity to direct a huge Jurassic Park sequel. He took it, and it did well. Why is it his fault he got the job? Is Trevorrow supposed to say, "No. I don't want the job. Give it to this aspiring female director, I know will do it great!" That's ridiculous. Unless Trevorrow is some type of social activist, it's not his job to make sure that happens. He got an opportunity to advance his career and take a big step. He took it and it worked.

Now let me be clear. I'm not saying more women or minorities shouldn't be offered those jobs or opportunities. But just because a Colin Trevorrow gets that opportunity doesn't mean the guy has to be shamed and dragged through the mud because he got to make Jurassic Park as his second movie.

The Russos' second ****ing movie was The Winter Soldier. Their first movie was bloody Me Myself and Dupree. And they had some TV episodes of a sitcom they worked on called Community. I'm sorry but those are a lot of red flags. Based on those ideas, you wouldn't expect they would've put out one of the best MCU movies ever.

If I have a point here, stop trying to assign blame, scapegoats and point the finger at your peers. Yes, vocally support the changes, but I think you can do it without insulting other people.

Ava DuVernay is not the first female director to make a big budget flop. Lots of talented directors have had flops. It's the nature of the business. She can bounce back from this. Even Spielberg has directed prolific flops. Dude's not perfect contrary to popular belief.

So I'm also saying don't rake her over the coals either. So this was her first big movie and it didn't go over all that well. It happens. It's hardly an indictment of her entire career.

This is the attitude I hate today. People are getting unfairly blamed for being offered work. What are they suppose to do? Not earn a living? Few people are that selfless to give up opportunities that are going to advance their careers for someone else, because at the end of the day everyone has got bills to pay. As for Ava, she's going to be fine, anyone thinking she's suddenly going to be cast aside or that female directors are going to be overlooked in the future because of this film are living in a deluded world. You win some, you lose some.

Considering that Treverrow got his big breaks because of who he knew, he is sort of the poster child of the issue of Hollywood nepotism.

Considering that Treverrow got his big breaks because of who he knew, he is sort of the poster child of the issue of Hollywood nepotism.
What does that make Carrie Fisher then if we are going to start discrediting people because of who they know or who they are related to?

By the looks of their tweets, they've still been on good terms. I'm guessing it had to do with what Trevorrow said about female directors having less of a desire to do big budget blockbusters for the sake of doing big budget blockbusters.

Ava DuVernay even said on Twitter last week she doesn't want to do Star Wars.

Not everyone wants to direct a Star Wars movie people. Yeah, shocking, i know.

Sort of like when Star Wars got bought by Disney, and everyone was demanding Brad Bird direct Episode 7. He wasn't really interested.

Sort of like when Star Wars got bought by Disney, and everyone was demanding Brad Bird direct Episode 7. He wasn't really interested.

Bird was very interested in VII, it's just that he was so far into doing Tomorrowland and their release dates were so close together that he couldn't pull out of it.

He even (apparently) tried to figure out a way to have Trevorrow prep VII for him while he was doing the other movie, then as soon as that wrapped he could step in. But he quickly found that was unrealistic.

"Wanting Ava to fail" seems a bit unfair. A lot of people just don't think she's all that great. She's an okay director, but does seem a little overcelebrated. Selma just threw up a big "shrug" at historical accuracy with the supporting players, 13th was seriously preachy, Middle Of Nowhere and I Will Follow were pretty good but not really anything all that amazing.

If this flick was awesome, the critics would be saying so, they'd be all over it. Which is great. I dunno, they shouldn't feel they have to be this delicate about not liking it though - it's just hard to blame them for that, the fear is probably pretty well-founded these days, all the crazy retaliatory "activist" stuff that's just seen as socially acceptable and turned a blind eye to. It's probably not even an exaggeration to say that a particularly-negative critic working for a major metropolitan newspaper might have people showing up picketing outside the damn building and calling for mandatory "sensitivity training" from their superiors or whatever-the-hell.

Personally, I sort of doubt this movie's even that particularly bad. It's probably just sort of ill-conceived and messy, with a healthy dose of patronizing Oprah. 3.7 RT average might even be a little harsh, hard to say. But at the same time, if that's an RT average, it seems at least there's a pretty broad consensus that the thing's not great.

Maybe, but you usually have to have some ability. A good bit of the entertainment industry is about networking...a LOT of people get jobs based on who they know or who they've worked with, but they generally have to have some level of talent or be suited for their role as well.

The "career boost due to who they knew" thing doesn't really fly with the white-male accusatory tone. Hell, Bigelow basically got started in any major way through Cameron. It's equal-opportunity nepotism. You know a "name", they decide to help you, you're likely to go places. Oprah's probably done it with a dozen household names herself, magically bestowing upon them careers. Half of them probably dudes.

This also seems to be a very American specific thing. The conversations about the need for diversity in entertainment has reached a weirdly obsessive point from the perspective of an outsider, most of the outside world doesn't really care about who's represented in the casts or behind the scenes, we'll just watch the movies if they are good.

The conversation is also bizarre to me when you've now got options like Netflix which are awash with films and TV shows from all over the world. The internet has democratised entertainment to the extend now that no-one can be denied their creative voice anymore. It wasn't that way 15 years ago, but now the options are endless because the tool are so readily available where you can create your own product and find an audience. Ultimately I feel that Hollywood is a broken system as it stands, there's only so many movies made a year and only so much money that can be spent and too many people fighting for the few creative spaces available. Online is the future where the real opportunities are going to come from in entertainment. We're already seeing the trend migrate towards it, and it's only going to continue.

great post and makes perfect sense - hollywood isn't the be all and all and people are realizing that - netflix for me has shown me far more diversity in the fact that the world is pretty much on that platform.

I think Duvernay's career will be fine. She probably won't get another $100 million movie for a while though.

“I look at Guy Ritchie. That guy is bulletproof,” she says. “He can make something that doesn’t work. The next week he’s the director of another thing. I look at him and I’m like, ‘Wow, that’s fantastic.’ But that wouldn’t have been Patty Jenkins and it won’t be me.”-Ava

Guy recently had two bombs before getting the Aladdin gig. Ava probably won't come near another big budget film like you said.

Yeah there is this weird thing of fans of certain directors demanding that they get directing gigs on properties they have no interest in.

People keep saying Bigelow should direct a female superhero movie despite the fact Bigelow has said she isn't interested in making those kinds of movies currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"