Disney to locate A Wrinkle In Time

The last part, where because of whatever connection the film made with her meant she could look past its flaws. You can have a connection with a film, sure, but it shouldn't make you blind to its problems. I feel, anyway.

Eh, I don't agree that she was looking past its flaws, seeing as how she listed what she thought those flaws were in the quote you posted.

Maybe I'm just projecting or being cynical, but I think a lot of these online film personalities (and people in general) care way less about diversity than they let on. I say I may be projecting because personally if I'm being honest, I don't care. It just does nothing for me and I would never get on a soapbox and put out some rallying cry in favor of it. Not that I'm AGAINST it, but it doesn't factor into my life in any way. Maybe that's white privilege :funny:

It’s not white privilege but you just don’t know any different. You’ve seen people that look like you, or at least your skin color, 99% of the time on screen.

My kid wants to see this. I’ll take him but I have a feeling it won’t be that enjoyable for me.

It’s not white privilege but you just don’t know any different. You’ve seen people that look like you, or at least your skin color, 99% of the time on screen.

My kid wants to see this. I’ll take him but I have a feeling it won’t be that enjoyable for me.

Guessing he/she read the book or just thought the movie looked cool.

Maybe I'm just projecting or being cynical, but I think a lot of these online film personalities (and people in general) care way less about diversity than they let on. I say I may be projecting because personally if I'm being honest, I don't care. It just does nothing for me and I would never get on a soapbox and put out some rallying cry in favor of it. Not that I'm AGAINST it, but it doesn't factor into my life in any way. Maybe that's white privilege :funny:

yeah pretty much that's part of it. You never had to want to see people like you (at least in broad strokes) on screen. Me, other people of color, LGBT would like to see themselves represented on screen.

That being said I don't go see any movie just because it's diverse. Wrinkle in Time didn't look good to me

yeah pretty much that's part of it. You never had to want to see people like you (at least in broad strokes) on screen. Me, other people of color, LGBT would like to see themselves represented on screen.

That being said I don't go see any movie just because it's diverse. Wrinkle in Time didn't look good to me

Yeah I completely get people's motivations, but I feel like a lot of other white people are feigning interest just to score brownie points with minorities and the "woke" online community. One could argue that it doesn't matter because the cause is ultimately a just one, so whether they really care or not is immaterial.

Yeah I completely get people's motivations, but I feel like a lot of other white people are feigning interest just to score brownie points with minorities and the "woke" online community. One could argue that it doesn't matter because the cause is ultimately a just one, so whether they really care or not is immaterial.

Oh for sure. I was saying that earlier. All these sites and people championing diversity don't look inward or at their own surroundings and do something about their own lack of diversity.

It was funny to me when Black Panther came out and so many sites, YT channels, wheeled out their token black hires to do the review and then pushed them to the back right after. They don't really care.

Current estimates from Deadline are that A Wrinkle In Time will make about 32 million dollars with Black Panther staying on top with about 41 million dollars.

I guess for many critics - especially the "woke" ones - it kinda hurts to admit that the first movie with a budget of more than $100 million directed by a black woman is a failure. And I can't even blame them, given how Hollywood usually treats women directors.

Yep. Patty Jenkins brought up in a interview with the Hollywood Reporter that if a female directed blockbuster movie underperforms at the box office, it will be used as evidence to support sexist and untrue arguments that women can’t direct big-budget movies or films about women don’t make money.

Part of the reason Jenkins didn't take certain high profile directing movie jobs was because she felt it might hinder women if it fails because she will be more harshly judged than her male counterparts.

Jenkins
“There have been things that have crossed my path that seemed like troubled projects. And I thought, ‘If I take this, it’ll be a big disservice to women. If I take this knowing it’s going to be trouble and then it looks like it was me, that’s going to be a problem. If they do it with a man, it will just be yet another mistake that the studio made. But with me, it’s going to look like I dropped the ball, and it’s going to send a very bad message.’ So I’ve been very careful about what I take for that reason.”

A Wrinkle In Time deserves an honest critique but at the same time I can understand why some critics aren't going in too hard on Ava Duvernay.

People do want more women and people of color directing big tentpole movies. They don't want to give certain folks ammunition to stop that from happening. Unfortunately there are bigots in the industry that would try and look at Duvernay's failings with A Wrinkle In Time as a justification to keep other women and people of color from directing big budget movies.

Not good. Not good. Good thing it was free!

K-19 The Widowmaker was a tremendous flop, but Kathryn Bigelow's career was able to recover after that. Huge budget, over $100 million, and a big name cast. It was a box office bomb. It did take a while for her directing career to bounce back, but it did recover.

So those bombs have happened with female directors, but it won't necessarily be the death knell of anyone's career. I think my point is, this could hurt DuVernay in the short-term, but I think in the long-term her career will be OK.

I understand the argument because it is a male dominated industry, and female directors simply haven't gotten the opportunities for major films that men have. At the same time, just because this is a major big budget film with an African American female director doesn't mean people are morally or socially obligated to like it or pay to see it just because of those factors alone.

When I saw the teaser at D23, I didn't think this movie was going to do well. It looked like a bomb in the making.

I understand in this divisive social media era, people don't want to come off as backwards or insensitive. People take their identity politics very seriously. I understand that. But a mad movie is still a bad movie.

Oh for sure. I was saying that earlier. All these sites and people championing diversity don't look inward or at their own surroundings and do something about their own lack of diversity.

It was funny to me when Black Panther came out and so many sites, YT channels, wheeled out their token black hires to do the review and then pushed them to the back right after. They don't really care.

Like the Tumblr SJWs trying to get hits on their pages.

It looks ambitious, but out of all the upcoming projects Disney has going on, this one is the most likely candidate to be another "Tomorrowland" type of financial disappointment for Disney.

Oh hey, I called it. A Wrinkle in Time is projected to make pretty much the same amount that Tomorrowland did on its opening weekend. Only difference is A Wrinkle in Time cost about $90 million less to make than Tomorrowland did, so...silver linings, I guess. :shrug:

Guessing he/she read the book or just thought the movie looked cool.

He’s only 6 so hasn’t read the book. He likes the visuals I guess. Hopefully it’s not too loud and I can nap for 90 minutes.

Way i look at it - using statistics is the us, as an example 12% are black/african american. Asian 5%, native 1%, white is 73%
So when you have a core cast say of 10 people, 7 on average are white, 1 will be african american etc - see where i am going. Not that this is a true reflection, as some cities, rural areas differ. So i guess a movie based in california would maybe have different percentages than say brooklyn and Portland.

I have the view point - if i migrated to asia and watched the movies, i would expect predominantly all asian casts - that's the culture i am in now, as it were.

It's like Black Panther had ridiculous hype - it was made out by a lot that it was ground breaking, iconic, so needed etc. Well i grew up loving Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman as a good actor, i loved Michael Jackson, i had some fantastic sports stars play for teams i support who were black - Blade was great, you can see where i am going? I feel like i was exposed to many great, positive role models.

It just feels like the top dogs are pushing for more divide and using anything they can and using social media to fuel it. Going back to other cultures, Bollywood - how diverse are there cast?

Thor did nothing for me, i didn't go see it, does make me racist against whites? not at all... yet if i said the same about BP i have seen others get called ignorant and racist.

Anyways social media gives a platform to people who really shouldn't have it.

Being a black woman director, I'll be transparent. She really needed for this to be a hit, if she wants to do more big budget ****. But she may be fine doing more quiet indie dramas or whatever.

Way i look at it - using statistics is the us, as an example 12% are black/african american. Asian 5%, native 1%, white is 73%
So when you have a core cast say of 10 people, 7 on average are white, 1 will be african american etc - see where i am going. Not that this is a true reflection, as some cities, rural areas differ. So i guess a movie based in california would maybe have different percentages than say brooklyn and Portland.

I have the view point - if i migrated to asia and watched the movies, i would expect predominantly all asian casts - that's the culture i am in now, as it were.

It's like Black Panther had ridiculous hype - it was made out by a lot that it was ground breaking, iconic, so needed etc. Well i grew up loving Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman as a good actor, i loved Michael Jackson, i had some fantastic sports stars play for teams i support who were black - Blade was great, you can see where i am going? I feel like i was exposed to many great, positive role models.

It just feels like the top dogs are pushing for more divide and using anything they can and using social media to fuel it. Going back to other cultures, Bollywood - how diverse are there cast?

Thor did nothing for me, i didn't go see it, does make me racist against whites? not at all... yet if i said the same about BP i have seen others get called ignorant and racist.

I can see where you are going and I feel like you are missing the boat entirely. Something like Black Panther doesn't just feature predominately black characters. It explores black culture, black issues,in a big budget superhero flick. There is a reason Black Panther's existence triggers racist so vehemently.

Someone white not wanting to see Black Panther does not make them racist. But if a white person is losing it over the existence of Black Panther because the black community is rallying around it and loving it... well then yeah. They probably are racist.

Being a black woman director, I'll be transparent. She really needed for this to be a hit, if she wants to do more big budget ****. But she may be fine doing more quiet indie dramas or whatever.

She's doing a movie about the Central Park 5 next. I never thought she was only interested in blockbuster level movies.

This also seems to be a very American specific thing. The conversations about the need for diversity in entertainment has reached a weirdly obsessive point from the perspective of an outsider, most of the outside world doesn't really care about who's represented in the casts or behind the scenes, we'll just watch the movies if they are good.

The conversation is also bizarre to me when you've now got options like Netflix which are awash with films and TV shows from all over the world. The internet has democratised entertainment to the extend now that no-one can be denied their creative voice anymore. It wasn't that way 15 years ago, but now the options are endless because the tool are so readily available where you can create your own product and find an audience. Ultimately I feel that Hollywood is a broken system as it stands, there's only so many movies made a year and only so much money that can be spent and too many people fighting for the few creative spaces available. Online is the future where the real opportunities are going to come from in entertainment. We're already seeing the trend migrate towards it, and it's only going to continue.

The younger crowd watches stuff online mostly, but there are still the older set that enjoy the movie theatre. It may die off, but it'll be a minute. When it comes to watching a Star Wars or a new comic book movie I'd rather watch with a crowd of like minded strangers than by myself on my phone.

Seems kinda simple to me. We finally got a big budget black superhero movie. Hollywood and Netflix seem to want to feed us gangster movies or something dealing with civil rights or slavery.

Trust me. If Hollywood made a big budget movie about black people fighting dragons and wizards you'd get the same reaction.

I can see why it doesn't mean much to certain people though. If someone who never had pizza before came up to me and said pizza was the greatest food ever i'd brush it off too.

The younger crowd watches stuff online mostly, but there are still the older set that enjoy the movie theatre. It may die off, but it'll be a minute. When it comes to watching a Star Wars or a new comic book movie I'd rather watch with a crowd of like minded strangers than by myself on my phone.

As would I, but the reality is we alone can't sustain the future of cinema. The problem is so many properties today are geared towards those of us born between 1980 and 1999. The original content, the stuff kids born into the digital generation consume, is mostly internet based. The kids of today have access to such a wide variety of influential creative people literally in the palm of their hand. Studios should be using that as a tool but they're not.

It's also pretty laughable how the...I guess the 'woke' Twitter folks don't like headlines pointing out that Black Panther beat A Wrinkle in Time at the box office.

So all of a sudden, it's not a competition. Let's focus on the fact that the number 1 and 2 films of the weekend were directed by Black directors. Never mind that this is how reporting on the box office has always been done, even while Black Panther has been on top. No, for this one weekend with A Wrinkle in Time out, let's not focus on it coming in behind Black Panther, but celebrate it for...celebration's sake.

To play devil's advocate, if it finishes with $32 million this weekend, is that really that bad for this film?

It's based on a beloved book, yes, but it's also aimed more at kids. It's not quite as broad material.

It's also pretty laughable how the...I guess the 'woke' Twitter folks don't like headlines pointing out that Black Panther beat A Wrinkle in Time at the box office.

So all of a sudden, it's not a competition. Let's focus on the fact that the number 1 and 2 films of the weekend were directed by Black directors. Never mind that this is how reporting on the box office has always been done, even while Black Panther has been on top. No, for this one weekend with A Wrinkle in Time out, let's not focus on it coming in behind Black Panther, but celebrate it for...celebration's sake.

I saw that, too. Bunch of BS.

I was actually asking myself the same question a few hours ago.
Given the strength of Black Panther, 32 million almost seems like a best case scenario to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"