Divers Swim With Massive Great White Shark

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I swam with 'world's biggest' great white shark

They're the photos you just can't stop looking at. A diver alongside an impossibly huge great white shark.

Just staring at them can you make you shiver - so imagine how it must've felt to be in the water.

Photographer Kimberly Jeffries was one of those who got up close and personal with what's thought to be the biggest great white on record - Deep Blue.

"I thought my heart was going to explode," she tells Newsbeat.

Over the next few days, several other huge sharks also arrived, as shown below.

Kimberly was out in a boat off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii. The photographer was hoping to get shots of sharks feeding on the carcass of a dead sperm whale.

"We noticed tiger sharks coming up to the back of the engines. It was perfect because it was ultimately what we came out to see."

After getting into the water though, Kimberly says the team were surprised to find there were no sharks.

"Maybe 30 seconds later we see this massive shark, just kind of gracefully and slowly rising out of the depth. And she comes up to feed on the carcass."

The shark is believed to be one called Deep Blue - around 50 years old, weighing an estimated 2.5 tonnes and nearly six metres long.

That's the same length as an adult giraffe.

It wasn't what the team were expecting so Kimberly says they were "just absolutely blown away".

"The sheer size of her was awe-inspiring," she tells Newsbeat.

"I think in the first couple of seconds when we first realised it was a great white, I thought my heart was going to explode. But then, after that initial racing, and you shift into work mode, it kind of goes away."

Despite all her experience with sharks, Deep Blue was different.

"It was apparent that this was something just much more magical and much more special.

"She [Deep Blue] has been around for a very long time. Not even the length was what was amazing, it was just how round she was. She was huge and swollen."

Oh I love deep blue! Oh lord she coming!

Awe inspiring and dangerous. Beautiful in its way but uncompromising. Cold blooded but savage. A peek at a world millions years older than the human animal.

So why didnt the shark try and eat the diver when she was that close to her?

So why didnt the shark try and eat the diver when she was that close to her?

Lemme ask you...

If a giraffe were in front of you would you eat it? No? Why not? It's edible. But it's not part of your regular diet so the idea to eat it doesn't even enter your mind, right?

There you go.

She is pregnant and likely looking for something more obviously food than something that might not be good to eat.

Great White sharks like fat blubbery creatures like seals. I always felt bad for Bruce in Jaws because a 25-foot Great White stuck eating a bunch of skinny kids was probably starving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"