Do You Smoke.

Interesting discussions.

I had an aunt die recently from several diseases, all of them smoking related. Congestive heart failure, COPD, emphysema. She smoked heavily for years. I remember sleeping over at their house when I was a kid. She would get up in the morning and cough for at least 5 minutes straight. The nastiest cough, too. This kind of wet, disgusting sounding cough. When I was at her memorial service, I was talking to my cousin, her daughter, while she was outside smoking. Well, my cousin started coughing, and wouldn't you know it, it was that same cough. Here was a woman who had just watched her mother waste away over the past 10 years, watched her suffer through a living Hell of health problems, willingly taking the same steps her mother took.

Interesting discussions.

I had an aunt die recently from several diseases, all of them smoking related. Congestive heart failure, COPD, emphysema. She smoked heavily for years. I remember sleeping over at their house when I was a kid. She would get up in the morning and cough for at least 5 minutes straight. The nastiest cough, too. This kind of wet, disgusting sounding cough. When I was at her memorial service, I was talking to my cousin, her daughter, while she was outside smoking. Well, my cousin started coughing, and wouldn't you know it, it was that same cough. Here was a woman who had just watched her mother waste away over the past 10 years, watched her suffer through a living Hell of health problems, willingly taking the same steps her mother took.

I get that, I really do, my boss is always on my ass because his dad died the same way. But honestly, anything someone dies from these days, it's in a horrible way. Dying sucks, it really does. It's just that it seems that if it's not from smoking, it's from some other form or horrible cancer or disease, or accident, etc. I'm so tired of hearing about how someone died from smoking at some slightly old age and how horrible it was. Every death you hear about is generally horrible these days. Honestly, if I die from lung cancer, it seems generally better than most of the other death ways that I hear about.

Hi. I'm living proof that the claims of second hand smoke being dangerous are so overblown that it's not even funny. Sure, it has some health risks, but it's not inherently more dangerous than anything else you breathe in on a regular basis. Maybe people should just admit that they don't like it and get on with their lives.

:up: Well said. Just breathing in the air in a major-ish city is probably just as bad for you, if not, even worse, than breathing in second hand smoke.

Don't smoke, never tried it, never wanted to. I also hate going to places that allow smoking, after about 30 minutes I need to step outside cause my eyes and throat are dry.

There are places you can smoke inside? I didn't think you could even smoke sheesha inside anymore

I get that, I really do, my boss is always on my ass because his dad died the same way. But honestly, anything someone dies from these days, it's in a horrible way. Dying sucks, it really does. It's just that it seems that if it's not from smoking, it's from some other form or horrible cancer or disease, or accident, etc. I'm so tired of hearing about how someone died from smoking at some slightly old age and how horrible it was. Every death you hear about is generally horrible these days. Honestly, if I die from lung cancer, it seems generally better than most of the other death ways that I hear about.

No, it's not. I watched my grandmother die from lung cancer. The final days were the worst. Hooked up to a machine that violently sucked air out of you, pushed more back in; gasping for every breath; feeling like you're forever drowning....no, I have no desire to ever go out like that; hence me quitting a few months ago. But we are in control of our own bodies. If Joe Six-Pack wants to enjoy a cigg, by all means, let him.

But to address your other points, yes, we're all going to die. But it seems that as we gain a better understanding of medicine and sickness, the hysteria over death grows and grows. We focus that hysteria on things like cancer, acting like cancer is a new epidemic; completely ignoring the fact that people have always died; its unavoidable. Cancer and other life-ending illnesses have been around for as long as we have, and yet people struggle to fight it and prevent it, as if it will cure death itself. I'm not saying we shouldnt try to find cures; just that this mass hysteria needs to end.

I have an Aunt who never smoked a day in her life. Always worked out; ate healthy, etc. By all accounts, she'd be the last person you'd peg for getting sick. Well, death does not judge and it does not discriminate; she was just given her "you have x months to live" speech after fighting breast cancer the past few years.

It doesn't matter if you live in a bubble and drink nothing but purified water and eat the cleanest of fruits and vegetables. Death will come knocking one way or another.

I'm curious how many people you have watched die from cancer. I've personally watched it happen three times. Both of my grandfathers and a very close friend in high school. Knowing what I know, from first hand knowledge, I'm really intrigued as to what other days of dying you've heard of that are worse. Cancer kills fairly slowly, purely torturing your body, and putting your family through the Hell of watching you waste away. To think that someone would scoff at it, and continue to attempt to contract it, just seems really odd to me.

It's almost as if smokers set out on some sort of quest to get cancer.

It's almost as if smokers set out on some sort of quest to get cancer.
The...the stupidity. Even when I didn't smoke, smoker haters as I guess they should be called still always pissed me off with just how stupid they managed to be. I mean has stupidity ever been so consistent? I MEAN ITS LIKE PEOPLE WHO EAT MCDONALDS SET OUT ON SOME SORT OF QUEST TO GET FAT. Urgh. I really need a cigarette.

Hey smoker hater what should we do today?
I know, lets go sit next to smokers on public benches and cough and grumble!
YEAH! Great idea, buddy.

Or how about you **** off? Because clearly if the smoker gave a crap about your self important do gooder ******** they would have already quit.

Smoking: Socially acceptable suicide. :o

Really though if you wanna have a smoke, then have a smoke; Just be willing to live with the consequences. I see no problem. :huh:

I mean has stupidity ever been so consistent? I MEAN ITS LIKE PEOPLE WHO EAT MCDONALDS SET OUT ON SOME SORT OF QUEST TO GET FAT.
There's a difference between inhaling toxic gasses on a daily basis and having an occasional greesy fast food burger.

The...the stupidity. Even when I didn't smoke, smoker haters as I guess they should be called still always pissed me off with just how stupid they managed to be. I mean has stupidity ever been so consistent? I MEAN ITS LIKE PEOPLE WHO EAT MCDONALDS SET OUT ON SOME SORT OF QUEST TO GET FAT. Urgh. I really need a cigarette.

YEAH! Great idea, buddy.

Or how about you **** off? Because clearly if the smoker gave a crap about your self important do gooder ******** they would have already quit.
I hold my breath around smokers, sure some people have said Second Hand isn't that bad, I'm not taking any bloody chances

Also, nice to see you acting so civilized :awesome:
Smoking: Socially acceptable suicide. :o

Really though if you wanna have a smoke, then have a smoke; Just be willing to live with the consequences. I see no problem. :huh:
And if you smoke, it gets even shorter :hyper:

Yeah, I've lost my cool. Because you know whats wrong? Stereotyping. One of the worst parts of homophobia is the fact that they all tar gay people with the same brush. So smokerphobes or whatever they are called act like all smokers are these dirty morons who go around inflicting cancer on the world while sitting there and laughing at the idea of getting cancer themselves. Hey Smoker lets go like stand in doorways and blow smoke into buildings! Yeahman! And if that has actually happened, where exactly do you live, Asscrack USA?

Well I am living proof that's a ton of ********. I smoke daily yeah but most days I only have one cigarette and when moneys been tight I've gone weeks - months even without smoking. I never blow my smoke in someones face and I never like go into someones house and just light up. I always smoke where I know I am allowed too. One of the consistent comments I've had from girlfriends is how great I smell and yeah, I don't care about getting cancer, but that's a personal thing which I already explained in this thread. Am I stupid because I don't care? No, I just don't care. Life sucks, life sucks hell of a lot of balls. Smoking is enjoyable. So since I don't want a long life and I love smoking. Let's all have a nice celebratory cigarette.

I hold my breath around smokers, sure some people have said Second Hand isn't that bad, I'm not taking any bloody chances

Also, nice to see you acting so civilized :awesome:

And if you smoke, it gets even shorter :hyper:

A cigarette takes 7 minutes off your life, right? lol

Anyway say what you want about smokers but they're like the nicest community of people around.

Got a smoke?
Got a light?
90% of the time you get a yes hahah.

If you smoke tobacco, you are either a moron, have anger management problems you use them for as a stop gap solution(eg like a nightclub bouncer i spoke to one night), or watch too many movies.

..or enjoy it.

Why is that such a hard concept for anti smokers to grasp?

It's like when you tell people you enjoy drinking without getting drunk.

WHAT YOU DRINK ALCOHOL WITHOUT WANTING TO GET DRUNK?! I'M SO CONFUSED!

Here, have a napkin I think you dribbled a little bit.

How

HOW can you enjoy something you know, is killing you.

I tell you what, come back and tell us you enjoy it when you start coughing blood :up:

It adds up over years of smoking.

Please tell me you don't really believe that statistic. :( It's impossible to measure the amount of time a cigarette subtracts, everybody's genetically different. :confused:

If you smoke tobacco, you are either a moron, have anger management problems you use them for as a stop gap solution(eg like a nightclub bouncer i spoke to one night), or watch too many movies.

whoa, I can see your white lab coat through the internet.:up:

In the same way I'm enjoying this bacon cheeseburger right now, tastes so ****ing good and leaves me with a warm satisfaction.

YEAH! Great idea, buddy.

Touch a nerve, did I? I, for one, avoid smokers as much as possible. I don't go places where they hang out, and other than family, I have no friends who are smokers. And yes, I do feel people who eat tons of junk food, like McDonald's, don't really care about their weight. If they did, they would eat better. So, similarly, smoker don't really care if they get cancer from the cigarettes they smoke.

And for the record, my mother did give a crap about my self important do-gooder ********, and quit several years ago.

It was more a build up of pages and pages of absolute ******ation around the whole forum and I just kinda exploded where I stood, which was this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"