Comics Do you still read the mainstream Marvel Universe Spider-Man comics?

Gregatron

Civilian
Reaction score
If yes, why?

If no, why?

(Option # 4 should read, "I'm waiting to see WHERE things go before I decide to quit").

And I mean the current stories, not back issues.

I do. Why? Simply because the stories are good. SSM's, at least. I don't read ASM, and I'll probably drop FNSM after giving it a chance and not liking it, but as long as a good story's being told, I'll be reading it.

CConn said:
I do. Why? Simply because the stories are good. SSM's, at least. I don't read ASM, and I'll probably drop FNSM after giving it a chance and not liking it, but as long as a good story's being told, I'll be reading it.

Please note that I will not interject comments into this thread. Just questions.

That said, what do you consider a "good story", and why? Is that different from a "good Spider-Man story"?

Gregatron said:
If yes, why?

I'm not pleased with the way Marvel has handled the character lately. Still, I don't hate it so much as to drop the 616 titles....at least not yet because I still enjoy following the adventures of my favorite character :spidey:. Now that Joe Q. says next year Spidey will resemble the Stan Lee incarnation, I guess you could say I'm holding out for better days. I want to see what type of product we get in 2007.

However, I don't mind admitting to dropping the book9s) in the past. If I get to the point where I just don't like, or hate, Spider-Man or any other comic I won't hesistate to drop it. I'm not a completist like some collectors. I don't mind having gaps in my comic collection.

I had to vote "Yes" because I still read Sensational Spider-Man, but aside from that, I've dropped all the 616 Spidey books.

Asm and FNSM are terrible. The art is the only thing either of the books has going for them. PAD's provent o be overhyped, and JMS has long outlasted his own usefullness.

I'm currently reading anand enjoying Sensational and Ultimate Spider-Man, as well as Civil War, which has Spider-Man in it. Aside from that, there isn't a whole lot of Spidey coming through my door....and NOTHING by JMS.

Yes but only Sensational Spider-man....as for why? Because I like the current Feral arc and I'm willing to give the mag a chance to entertain me......

ASM's characterization of Spider-man is just brutal....the retcons, contrived villains, bad writing...it's all there......and unfortunately it's spilling in to the other titles....which is why SSM has a short leasH as it pertains to me keeping it on my pull list.

I also read USM because I see it as a quirky take on a character I've adored for 35 years.....

I'm debating when, but sometime after Civil War gonna be droppin' ASM & FSM. Sen I haven't really read yet so I better get on that.

I'm #4. So far I am really, really liking the Civil War. And if my assumption that they're going to use the Civil War to throw Spidey out of the New Avengers and more or less out of the superhero community is correct, chances are we'll see that return to the Spiderverse that a lot of us have been itching for, complete with soap opera-induced coma survivor Flash Thompson. Oh boy. Maybe they can bring back Harry and the old gang can hang out again. Yippie. I was totally into it until I remembered them talking about the "spider-cast."

Basically I'm waiting to see if the writers punk out and decide to end the marriage. They do, I'm out. When I left during the Clone Saga, I stayed away because MJ and Pete split up. I read the issue when they got back together and I really enjoyed it, and it sucked me in to this whole "new" Spider-Man. The marriage goes, me too. I'll just continue reading Ultimate Spider-Man in my local Barnes and Noble.

I stopped when sins past started... I felt that it was a bad Idea... Gwen running away to give birth to children (Peter's or Norman's) was a bad Idea...
(Gregatron's sig has a link to an EXTREMELY detailed explanation why Sins past was crap...) and I dropped ALL my comicbook buying... I've read a couple of issues at the stores, just to check on how things are going,but that's it... I ain't giving money to those hacks...

I only read the ultimate comics now because the 616 universe has gone to ****.

I only read USM at the moment, waiting until the mess from the other is fixed.

I'm choosing poll option#3. I only read USM. The Civil War is more like Infinite Crisis in that it's a general story. It's not ASM or FF or Captain America. It's just a marvel book. Spidey was in the first one for like 2 pages. I just want to see where that goes. If they make spidey the way he should be, and start doing good stories then I'll buy ASM again.

Gregatron said:
That said, what do you consider a "good story", and why?
What generally makes a book good? A good concept, story, dialogue, art, characterization, etc. While the art's not so hot in SSM, I am loving the concept - to finaly see Spider-Man villains actually in Spider-Man comics again is nice - albeit third-string characters; the story so far has been interesting, always leaving me looking forward to the next issue; and and the characterization is good enough with minimal mention of any of the Spider-God crap.
Gregatron said:
Is that different from a "good Spider-Man story"?
I don't really look at it that in-depth; if it entertains, it entertains. Not that that excuses a poor interpretation of the character.

Doc_OCK_4MUGEN said:
(Gregatron's sig has a link to an EXTREMELY detailed explanation why Sins past was crap...)

Which you mocked, Ock.

If I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I am still reading.
I read SSM cause its the best Spidey book right now and is actually quite good, I also read FNSM cause I like the art.
ASM is the only book I have dropped for obvious reasons.

I had to vote for the third, because while I am reading off and on the current issues, I'm not buying them. I'm not happy with how Spider-man is being handled, and I don't want to spend money on something that causes me so much disatisfaction. Also, I am reading the older main-stream Spider-man comics, so I'd be lying if I said no. I just glance through the current issue, or read it if I'm there for a while, and place it back. I try to keep up with reviews and summaries if I can't get down to the store, and if it piques my interest I'll go investigate.

Wish I could be like that and drop FNSM too, but it took a lot for me to drop ASM.... I just can't bear the thought of gaps in my runs, thats why I stuck w/ ASM for so long.

Dangerous said:
Wish I could be like that and drop FNSM too, but it took a lot for me to drop ASM.... I just can't bear the thought of gaps in my runs, thats why I stuck w/ ASM for so long.

Why? Why can't you bear the thought of gaps in your run?

I'm waiting to see whethet or not I'll quit buying. So far I've swallowed what was in the books. Sure it wasn't that great but I never saw it as permanent or that it would completely change Spidey.

Though I was more than a little irked with the aftermath of House of M where Gwen became an issue in a way I didn't appreciate. I was hoping that this would have been dealt with properly but..... *sigh*. That's not gonna happen now.

I thought they could easily write out the more dubious developments slowly whilst dealing with them and providing some story developments to justify this. Now, with Joe Q's MJ plans I'm seriously considering getting rid off this from my buy list. His statements have now put me in the 'I think Joe Q and JMS are crazy' section.

To me this changes Spidey way beyond my perception of him, and I don't think I could enjoy reading the book.

I've rarely dropped a comic before. It has to be really bad for me to even think about it. It would have to be as bad as 'X-men: The End' for me to drop it. That's what I see happening.

Yeah I still collect them, I dropped FNSM and Unlimited because they bored me to tears. Spider Girl and Ultimate still rule the rest of the Spider titles right now though

Don't really collect any 616 comics for Spider-man right now. I'm on the border with ASM at the moment. It just doesn't interest me at all.

USM is owning now though. :spidey:

Dangerous said:
Because- I am a completist.

Why?

Why would you buy something you hate, or something that you would merely bag and board and box?

Gregatron said:
Why?

Why would you buy something you hate, or something that you would merely bag and board and box?

I expect there are tons of reasons to why he or others might do so.

I suppose like me others might want to know firsthand what went on before a better storyline picked up.

He might not just bag it up. He may actually read it anyway, knowing that it is horrible. This could be because a) he wants to see 'how' horrible for himself, or b) he may hope to find something surprising or redeeming in what is mostly a horrible story.

Or for some it's just not that easy to give up on something and turn their backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"