Do you think Fox will/should make a Silver Surfer film?

I myself am very content to have each franchise/character/mythos wait it's turn. Sure, you can have 2 or 3 simultaneously going but between revamps of casting or even outright reboots there's plenty of cooling off time to allow others their shot. Iron Man is my 2nd favorite character of all time(after Hulk) and I've loved how it's gone with RDJ and company but I gotta say after IM3 I'd be totally fine waiting 10 years till they revisited the character and his mythos. I already know they'll never stop making Iron Man movies since the property has proven itself as profitable. So I have no problem if they take a break from time to time. That goes for every other character as well.

Even if they don't make another IM film for a while I'm sure we'll see RDJ in A2 and some cameo roles and if they follow the comics maybe a leading role in GotG 2

I'm watching FF Rise of the Silver Surfer right now...and it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's just really popcorn-y without a whole lot else I guess, but the stuff they did with the Silver Surfer itself was good. The effects and such were pretty much the way they should have been and they portrayed the character the right way. I think they could pull off a SS movie they just need to give it a bigger budget.

Neither FF films sucked to me they weren't the best films ever but I enjoyed them though I do think Reed and Sue we're horribly cast and Johnny and Thing we're perfectly cast Doom is kind of in the middle qnd as far as story it wasn't that bad for either film. I think they we're just a product of their time.

TBH, I don't think I've heard anybody complain about the vfx for Surfer; just the fact that he was woefully nerfed, along with Galactus and Dr. Doom. If Story had as much faith in the source material as Kevin Feige does, and gone ahead and made these iconic villains (yes, Surfer is a villain at that point in the story, or at least an antagonist) resemble their actual power levels and personalities, you would've had a decent FF franchise.

I'm watching FF Rise of the Silver Surfer right now...and it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's just really popcorn-y without a whole lot else I guess, but the stuff they did with the Silver Surfer itself was good. The effects and such were pretty much the way they should have been and they portrayed the character the right way. I think they could pull off a SS movie they just need to give it a bigger budget.

SS doesn't get his power from his board. That was just FOX laziness.

TBH, I don't think I've heard anybody complain about the vfx for Surfer; just the fact that he was woefully nerfed, along with Galactus and Dr. Doom. If Story had as much faith in the source material as Kevin Feige does, and gone ahead and made these iconic villains (yes, Surfer is a villain at that point in the story, or at least an antagonist) resemble their actual power levels and personalities, you would've had a decent FF franchise.

Considering that SS basically destroyed Galactus in an explosion of his own power which dwarfed the size of the entire planet, I'd say SS was anything but nerfed. He was Deux Ex Machina'd.

I don't dispute that they did a horrible rendition of Galactus and Doom should have been done better. SS himself I can't speak on because I don't really know him as a character that well. Overall the films weren't horrible they just could have been done better

But I see Fox moving in a direction that is more dependent on the source material given their next two films are based directly on comic storylines: The Wolverine and DoFP

SS doesn't get his power from his board. That was just FOX laziness.
I was talking about the character's personality when I said his portrayal, not his powers.

But yes, Galactus and Doom were both horribly done. Unfortunately it's hard for Fox to really get the true weight of those characters across without having access to the rest of the Marvel U.

What Fox should do is after making the first FF film in the post credit scene they show a scenic view of space then have SS shoot across the screen. Then after that they should make a SS origin film showing how he came to be Galactus' herald. And in the post credit scene for SS they could have Galactus telling SS that their next target is Earth and then SS shoots off towards Earth in the distance. Which then could lead into FF2 featuring SS and Galactus then by the end of the film SS turns against Galactus and helps FF defeat him. That way they don't have to set up the characters in FF2 they can just go full out. Then they can branch SS off into his own film series with a SS 2 that shows the growth of the character and how he's changed after leaving Galactus.

Last edited:
I like that idea. But yes, Galactus and SS definitely need mor background told on them than was offered in Rise of the Silver Surfer. Instead of inserting Doom for no real reason they should concentrate solely on the two of them and maybe even tell the story from SS's perspective for a while.

Considering that SS basically destroyed Galactus in an explosion of his own power which dwarfed the size of the entire planet, I'd say SS was anything but nerfed. He was Deux Ex Machina'd.

Sure. But he was rendered virtually powerless by getting knocked off his surfboard. That's one hell of a nerf.

Wow I make one a mix up on dates regarding films that were mostly forgetable anyway and now I'm clueless?

SMH.

My criticism was directed at the recommendation of consolidating so many characters and their universes, while not discerning the pitfalls of the poorer Fox, Sony, and Marvel films. It was not about the confusion over release dates.

Maybe not for FOX but what part about Luke Cage and Iron Fist linking up for a Hero's for Hire film warranted your sarcasm?

I'll wait........

In a scenario in which Marvel Studios' current slate and its other biggest franchises are potentially cannibalizing each other for screen time, a Luke Cage and Iron Fist team-up movie is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
In a scenario in which Marvel Studios' current slate and its other biggest franchises are potentially cannibalizing each other for screen time, a Luke Cage and Iron Fist team-up movie is the least of my concerns.

I wouldn't necessarily say they're cannibalizing each other. I mean if what Feige, Stan Lee and Loeb is an indicator of the future of the MCU, GotG is their testing ground for breaking out extremely obscure properties. And as much as we love him Ant-Man( not Yellow Jacket or Giant Man but ant controlling Ant-Man) is an obscure property to the public or at least his powers are. And Dr. Strange is just as obscure as AM and GotG. Even though they have characters that could probably sit better with the public i.e. Black Panther, Ms Marvel( with an updated/changed backstory), Luke Cage and Iron Fist etc. Marvel is still choosing to go with more difficult to translate to film characters

Right, but I'm referring to the hypothetical scenario in which Marvel Studios would have all of its properties back (Elektra, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, X-Men), and start consolidating characters into films just to make room for all of them.

Oh, then in that situation I believe they'd start making a lot of team-up movies just to fit all these characters into the universe. But if they had all of their properties back and where the only ones making Marvel films they could pump out 4 films a year if they had the budget March, May, July, November which would proverbially allow them to do lesser characters too. Major characters in May and July and lesser characters in March and November
It could look something like this after all the movies that's already been named
2016: Black Panther, Thor 3, SM3, Dr. Strange
2017: GotG 2, Cap 3, XM3, Ms Marvel
2018: FF 2, team up film other than Avengers, Ant-Man 2, Inhumans
2019: Dr Strange 2, A3, Ms Marvel 2, Heroes for Hire(Luke Cage/Iron Fist)
In just four years you've introduced 6 characters into the universe in their own films and that's not counting all the lesser characters that could be introduced in these films so theoretically it could be done

Hi! Despite the problems of rights between Fox and Marvle studios, I directed a teaser of a supposed "Silver Surfer" movie. I try to respect the universe created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. A lot of work went into this.

https://vimeo.com/73865390

Check this out! Enjoy!

Hmmm, I don't think Fox should make a SS film. Even if the film looks so good and it looks so ambiguous, it would be really hard to sell to the mainstream viewers. A Silver Surfer film would also need a big budget especially if they really want the visuals to look great. I think when it comes to FF films, FOX should just focus on the first family, then introduce Silver Surfer and Galactus in the sequel.

I learned something from this thread:

- Men in Black is a Marvel Property, more in the vein of the Kick-Ass films then any of the usual X-Men, Spider-Man and MCU Films.

I think they should make it before the F4. He's what got people back for F4:ROTSS. They should definitely make a Silver Surfer film either way.

If not just sell back the rights to someone who will. Gotta use these great characters to the studio advantage.

Silver Surfer is the main reason why I want the Fantastic Four rights to go back to Marvel. Seriously Cosmic Marvel wont be complete without him.

SS being able to defeat Galactus in like 10 seconds with ONE SHOT was laughably stupid. SS is NOWHERE near as powerful as Galactus, Galactus GAVE him his power. SS's power being tied to his board was also stupid, Galactus isn't stupid enough to give him such a debilitating weakness. Galactus being a giant cloud who DIDN"T EVEN TALK ONCE was dumb, Jessica Alba was miscast, Dr. Doom was HORRIBLE in both films. They took one of the top 5 greatest CB villains, and turned him into a joke and a moron. The military were idiots in the movie, Reed and Sue did NOTHING in the Doom fight, Johnny did all the work, and the list goes on and on.

Silver Surfer is the main reason why I want the Fantastic Four rights to go back to Marvel. Seriously Cosmic Marvel wont be complete without him.

Do we know the Surfer rights are tied to the FF rights?

Fox optioned them as separate properties - years apart - so I think one does not necessarily come with the other...

<Shrug> In my opinion, and one day I will be proven either right or wrong, FOX is not even interested in the FF property.

I think when Marvel reached out with that deal to extend the DD rights for rights to some characters from the FF franchise, FOX saw that Marvel was interested, so now they have a bargaining chip that perhaps if they play right, Disney/Marvel will cough up a large sum to obtain the rights back earlier than simply waiting for them to lapse.

Again, I could be wrong, but I see nothing truly moving forward for a upcoming FF movie, it's the DD situation all over again.

I guess in a few years, we will see. <shrug>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"