• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you think Marvel will ever get the rights back from Sony & Fox?

If, hypothetically, Marvel Studios have made First Class, would it have been as good? Would Vaughn have the freedom to do what he accomplished at Fox?

I don't think so.

I also think Iron Man is way overrated. X-Men should stay with FOX. And seriously, if Marvel gets the rights for X-Men and Spider-Man, how many movies are they gonna release every year? like 5? thats not gonna happen and if it happens, the movies wouldn't be that good.

I don't think so.

I also think Iron Man is way overrated. X-Men should stay with FOX. And seriously, if Marvel gets the rights for X-Men and Spider-Man, how many movies are they gonna release every year? like 5? thats not gonna happen and if it happens, the movies wouldn't be that good.

Also, I don't think the X-men would fit into the Marvel movie universe, because they already don't fit into the 616 Marvel comic book universe. X-men is speculative sci-fi, and lately shoehorning it into the superhero fantasy universe of 616 has proven a somewhat messy task. I like the X-men movie license where it is, because I know Marvel can't mess it up (and the MMU by extension) as long as Fox has it, and I think other than XMOW and a few other misc issues I have, Fox has done a fine job with the series. If anything, I think Marvel should follow their example and separate the X-men from 616 and put them in their own universe where the only people with superpowers are mutants.

It's very unlikely for them to get the right back completely....for the next 8 years.

However I think they could come up with a deal, putting spidey into The Avengers 2/3, isn't that what Marvel Studios wants?

Sony and Fox have had a good run with Spider-Man and X-Men respectively but I'm counting the days until Marvel Studio gets those properties back.

Hope those Disney lawyers are hard at work. ;)

Sony and Fox have had a good run with Spider-Man and X-Men respectively but I'm counting the days until Marvel Studio gets those properties back.

Hope those Disney lawyers are hard at work. ;)

Keep counting, cause it's not going to happen. Fox and Sony are going to keep those licenses until the end of time.

if there was a way to get the properties back they would have them back by now

Disney bought Marvel just shy of 3 years ago. Marvel Studios alone would have never have had a chance in getting them back but now with Disney those chances have gone up substantially.

Some of you guys are really underestimating Disney. They have the best lawyers out of any of the Hollywood studios. If anyone can make it happen it'd be them. Also this happened just last year.
To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spider-man merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spider-man films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spider-man merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spider-man films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney.- Source
Definitely chipping away.

You miss the part where Sony cemented their hold on the film rights thanks to that deal? If by "chipping away" you mean "solidifying", then yeah, at this rate Marvel will have the rights back on the other side of Never.

Yea Disney/Marvel also negotiated with Sony and got back all the TV rights. Still Sony will not lose Spider-man any time soon. In fact I can envision them having the franchise for at least 20 more years. Fox also has a tight grip on X-men and that franchise has so much to milk I can't see it ever reverting back to Marvel. However I don't think the new Ghost Rider film will warrant a third Sony film so I can see it reverting to Marvel. But like Blade I see them resting the franchise a while and not pursuing a film for years. Daredevil and Fantastic Four are tricky. I can see them possibly reverting back, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

I'm no lawyer but it seems Marvel gave up participation or creative control for a piece of the merchandising

Marvel should forget about X-Men and Spider-Man and just concentrate on Fantastic Four. DD is a bonus but FF should be their main goal.

Marvel should forget about X-Men and Spider-Man and just concentrate on Fantastic Four. DD is a bonus but FF should be their main goal.

Agreed. They'll be fine without X-Men, but Fantastic Four is a big one they need to get back given just how much it offers them, particularly with Dr. Doom, the Silver Surfer, Galactus, and the Super-Skrull. IMO, they should also try to get back Ghost Rider, too, as that'd go well with both Dr. Strange and Blade. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd kill to see a Midnight Sons movie with all three in it.

Agreed. They'll be fine without X-Men, but Fantastic Four is a big one they need to get back given just how much it offers them, particularly with Dr. Doom, the Silver Surfer, Galactus, and the Super-Skrull. IMO, they should also try to get back Ghost Rider, too, as that'd go well with both Dr. Strange and Blade. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd kill to see a Midnight Sons movie with all three in it.
After Ghost Rider 2, its definitely headed back to Marvel.

But the damage already has been done by Sony.

It's a shame Marvel don't own Ice Man and Angel though. If they had Ghost Rider, and presumably Hercules (not sure who owns him) then, together with Black Widow, they could have a Champions movie too.

I don't care if it's just a one-off film where those 5 band together. It would've been cool just to see different team ups. But with Ice Man and Angel over at Fox, that's sadly never going to happen.

I wish I knew what was the deal with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver though. They're more associated with the Avengers than X-Men.

After Ghost Rider 2, its definitely headed back to Marvel.

But the damage already has been done by Sony.

True, but they could still use Ghost Rider in a Midnight Sons movie. Reintroduce him to the audience that way and then spin him off into his own movies again. Preferably with people who actually give a damn about the character. I honestly can't believe that two Ghost Rider movies have been made, by two different creative teams, and NEITHER of them gave enough of a crap to get the villains right. The people behind the new one flat out admitted that they based their Blackout purely on the visuals of the character and never bothered to find out what his powers or history were. Honestly, now, is reading a wikipedia page that hard?

But yeah, I think that, if done right, Ghost Rider could be a successful franchise. The first one, as much as it sucked, DID made $228 million after all.

And wow, I just looked it up at Box Office Mojo and saw that the second one only made $84 million. I had no idea it had even been released yet!

It's a shame Marvel don't own Ice Man and Angel though. If they had Ghost Rider, and presumably Hercules (not sure who owns him) then, together with Black Widow, they could have a Champions movie too.

I don't care if it's just a one-off film where those 5 band together. It would've been cool just to see different team ups. But with Ice Man and Angel over at Fox, that's sadly never going to happen.

I wish I knew what was the deal with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver though. They're more associated with the Avengers than X-Men.

i believe they are with Fox and the X-men...their names were on a computer screen in X2.

I think Ghost Rider would work better in a team movie for the moment, just like Hulk. That way it won't completely rest on his shoulders. I don't think he's the easiest sell to audiences anyway. He's a bit like Hulk. Either you love him or you hate him. Characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man, Cap, Thor etc are easier to relate to and don't require as particular tastes. Their movies can be watched more universally by anyone, whereas I think you'd have to be in the mood for a horror genre flick like Ghost Rider.

FF is more audience friendly as well, which is why Marvel should definitely try to get them, along with all the other reasons we know.

True, but they could still use Ghost Rider in a Midnight Sons movie. Reintroduce him to the audience that way and then spin him off into his own movies again. Preferably with people who actually give a damn about the character. I honestly can't believe that two Ghost Rider movies have been made, by two different creative teams, and NEITHER of them gave enough of a crap to get the villains right. The people behind the new one flat out admitted that they based their Blackout purely on the visuals of the character and never bothered to find out what his powers or history were. Honestly, now, is reading a wikipedia page that hard?

But yeah, I think that, if done right, Ghost Rider could be a successful franchise. The first one, as much as it sucked, DID made $228 million after all.

And wow, I just looked it up at Box Office Mojo and saw that the second one only made $84 million. I had no idea it had even been released yet!
How much was the budget?

Shouldnt it make double the budge to be considered a success?

Yep. However they use him, I just want to see him used. Especially if it's in a Midnight Sons movie. I want to see Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Blade, Morbius, and Werewolf By Night in the same movie. That'd be badass. :D

Yep. However they use him, I just want to see him used. Especially if it's in a Midnight Sons movie. I want to see Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Blade, Morbius, and Werewolf By Night in the same movie. That'd be badass. :D

That almost sounds like a variation on the Drak Pack cartoon.

drak-pack_L02.jpg

Sony will never let go of Spider-man. It's by far their most lucrative franchise ever.

Sony will never let go of Spider-man. It's by far their most lucrative franchise ever.

Marvel Studios can do without Spider-Man and X-Men, although if they were to pursue one, it should be Spider-Man. X-Men can exist inside its own universe and never make reference to anyone else.

Spider-Man would be nice, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe get along fine without him.

Fantastic Four is the one to pursue. Marvel should try to get that one even if it means losing Daredevil and Ghost Rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"