• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you think Marvel will ever get the rights back from Sony & Fox?

Kind of funny, though, seeing as how they halved the budget from the first movie. They obviously weren't expecting much out of it, so it makes you wonder why they even bothered.

And the budget was $57 million to be exact. And from what I understand, a movie needs to make back 2 1/2 times its production budget to turn a profit. So Ghost Rider 2 needs $142 million or so.

Last edited:
I don't think Marvel Studios will ever get Spider-Man or X-Men, but I wish they could get a deal to be able to use them on DTV. People want to see Civil War besides Disney's money maker is animated features and DTV.

I can see Ghost Rider being with Marvel by SDCC. If possible I would love to see Marvel go after smaller properties like Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, Sauron (for Ka-Zar), Nitro (for Civil War) and Silver Surfer.

honestly I don't want to see Civil War...the story is so convoluted that when they had to adapt it for the game they had to make changes to it.

I don't ever want to see Civil War, period. It was one of the most awful major event stories I'd ever read.

I have no desire to see Civil War either. Part of that relies on a long, 40-year history in comics established with the heroes as allies. In the MCU they have barely begun working together, so it simply won't have the same resonance.

Besides, Marvel Studios aren't ever going to portray RDJ's Iron Man in a negative light.

Sony might sell their film division.

If that happens Disney will have chance to buy Spider-man.

I think Daredevil and Fantastic Four have a very good chance of being rebooted. We might be VERY lucky and get Spiderman. I doubt Marvel will ever be able to get X-Men though :( and they would never dare reboot it.

I think Daredevil and Fantastic Four have a very good chance of being rebooted. We might be VERY lucky and get Spiderman. I doubt Marvel will ever be able to get X-Men though :( and they would never dare reboot it.

Rebooted by Fox or reacquired by Marvel? :huh: Because we don't want Fox to reboot their DD and FF franchises. We want Marvel to get them back.

But Fox is doing a DD sequel...they are working on the script and a director has been chosen

Spiderman is set to appear in the Avengers as a cameo, plus Disney owns all the rights with the exception of film. Plus with Sony almost bankrupt as this point, I can see Disney buying Sony thus getting Spidey back. FF and Xmen? That's an entirely different story though.

You'd lose. Whedon has personally shot down this rumor which is based on, what exactly? Where did the idea that Spider-Man would cameo in Avengers even come from?

Even if he is or isn't, Disney owns everything but the movie rights. Plus they are almost bankrupt so..............................and not to mention they did own the rights to Thor but Marvel got them back so they are nothing like Fox, who would rather rot in Hell rather than give the rights back. Spiderman and Ghost Rider will be back and Disney sooner or late but F4 and Xmen? You got a better chance of meeting Lincoln's ghost before that happens.

I don't know what the deal is with Thor, but Thor's obviously a different case as they never made a movie with him, and odds are they weren't sure any movie with him would be successful.

Spider-Man, however, has been the star of three movies so far, with a fourth on the way. The previous three movies generated $2.5 BILLION for Sony at the box office. I don't know what Sony's financials are, but there's no way at all that they're ever going to give up Spider-Man so long as they're still in business. And if The Amazing Spider-Man performs well at the box office then it'll give them a nice cash infusion, further lessening the odds of Marvel ever getting Spider-Man back. And while Marvel may own everything but the movie rights, the movie rights are pretty much the most important thing here and the reason why Spider-Man will never appear in the MCU.

Sony is in serious trouble. That's why they rebooted Spiderman so quickly and Ghost Rider didn't make things better. It's been all over the net with the rumor being that Disney is going to buy them out.

Sony is in serious trouble. That's why they rebooted Spiderman so quickly and Ghost Rider didn't make things better. It's been all over the net with the rumor being that Disney is going to buy them out.

And where are these "rumours" all over the net? Links please?

Otherwise if you're just going to point to fanboy speculation on forums, that means nothing.

I seriously doubt that there will be any news showing anyone's hand at this point.

And where are these "rumours" all over the net? Links please?

Otherwise if you're just going to point to fanboy speculation on forums, that means nothing.

I seriously doubt that there will be any news showing anyone's hand at this point.

I'm starting to think he's as badly misinformed on Sony's financials as he is about Spider-Man making a cameo appearance in The Avengers.

I don't think Marvel will ever get Spider-Man and/or X-men back. They've made way too much money for them to ever give them up even though the third movie in both franchises sucked big time.

Even with a director, I hope DD stalls enough to go back to Marvel. The last thing we need is another butchering of a great Marvel character.

Yep, I sincerely hope that Fox don't meed their deadlines with Daredevil and Fantastic Four and that they BOTH go back to Marvel. Fantastic Four especially. Not so much for the team itself but because of what they could do with the associated characters. At the very least they're going to need the Silver Surfer and Galactus for when they decide to expand onto the cosmic side of their characters. And Dr. Doom is a great villain for the MCU, period, and not just a Fantastic Four villain.

Yep, I sincerely hope that Fox don't meed their deadlines with Daredevil and Fantastic Four and that they BOTH go back to Marvel. Fantastic Four especially. Not so much for the team itself but because of what they could do with the associated characters. At the very least they're going to need the Silver Surfer and Galactus for when they decide to expand onto the cosmic side of their characters. And Dr. Doom is a great villain for the MCU, period, and not just a Fantastic Four villain.

Yeah, I concur wholeheartedly, It would be great to see the Devourer of Worlds done right. I liked the look and sound of SS in the second FF, it would be nice to get those 2 (Doug Jones and Fishburne) back on the board again.

I just checked the trades and saw nothing about Sony being in serious trouble...In fact Sony just expanded.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-pictures-imageworks-expands-canadian-286980

the reason I heard they needed to rush AMS was because the rights were about to expire not the company about to go belly up.

Guess you didn't check hard enough. From the biggest equity site on the net. 24 walls street has been right about every single company they've listed at one in their past list.

Sony pictures was #1 in "Ten Brands that will disappear by the end of 2012"

Sony has a studio production arm which has nothing to do with its core businesses of consumer electronics and gaming. Sony bought what was Columbia Tri-Star Picture in 1989 for $3.4 billion. This entertainment operation has done poorly recently. Sony’s fiscal year ends in March, and for the period revenue for the group dropped 15% to $7.2 billion and operating income fell by 10% to $466 million. Sony is in trouble. It lost $3.1 billion in its latest fiscal on revenue of $86.5 billion. Sony’s gaming system group is under siege by Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) and Nintendo. Its consumer electronics group faces an overwhelming challenge from Apple. The company’s future prospects have been further damaged by the Japan earthquake and the hack of its large PlayStation Network. CEO Howard Stringer is under pressure to do something to increase the value of Sony’s shares. The only valuable asset with which he can easily part is Columbia which would attract interest from a number of large media operations. Sony Entertainment will disappear with the sale of its assets.

Guess you didn't check hard enough. From the biggest equity site on the net. 24 walls street has been right about every single company they've listed at one in their past list.

Sony pictures was #1 in "Ten Brands that will disappear by the end of 2012"

the article I posted was from the beginning of Feb from the one of the top trade sites in Hollywood.
you posted an article from June 2011 from a website that I never heard of

They just expanded their facilities in Canada
They just bought a UK TV production company
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-pictures-television-buys-uk-296239
They just acquired the rights to Bloodshot
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/valiant-comics-bloodshot-neal-moritiz-296357
They are about to launch a tv network in the UK
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-uk-movie-channel-295991

These don't seem to be the moves of a company that won't make it out of 2012
especially since they have a bunch of solid hits coming
Men in Black 3
Amazing Spider-man
Smurfs 2
Cloudy 2
Skyfall

Distributing others:
Total Recall
Hotel Transylvania