Do you think new heroes will also get trilogies?

If Rogers dies, then I'd think the Captain America identify should die too (at least within the MCU); Steve's principles can remain, but they shouldn't need the identity to retain it. Putting Bucky or Sam in the suit would feel a bit cheap (and a bit of a cheat) I feel; I'd much rather them remain their current characters, maybe just give Bucky a Shield in Steve's honour or something?

I don't think it would be cheap at all, unless it was poorly done. And I don't think it be just shoving one of those characters into a pre-existing Cap uniform and saying 'he's the new Captain America now.' They would have their own take on the uniform (with the shield obviously being the most important part) and their own style, and their efforts to live up to Cap's example would be a central part of the story.

ETA: I think it would be far cheaper to have Cap die and then not see his legacy carried forward in any way, though there could be a compromise position where Falcon or Winter Soldier take up Cap's shield symbolically moving forward without any other costume change or legacy movie.

What about Shuri? I posted elsewhere, but what is it about Riri that you love? Would you be happy/content if Shuri was drafted into that role; she's a tech genius already, and it would be (I think) a fitting merge.

What about her? No, seriously, I loved Shuri, I want to see more of her, but why not both? What's wrong with Shuri continuing to have a major role in the Black Panther movies, maybe even getting her own superhero ID there and becoming an Avenger, while also Riri Williams is a tech genius who inherits the Stark AI and builds her own Iron Man suit?

And as for why I love the character: her background is a huge part of it. I loved her introduction in the comics of having this odd duck friendship that was her tether to the world and then having her friend and her family taken from her and that being her introduction to the evil of the world. That evil being something she can't stand, not because of what was done to her specifically, but because she can't abide that fundamental unfairness in the world. I also really enjoy her personality, which feels similar to Tony Stark, but without the overbearing arrogance and abundance of inner demons and with a huge streak of Steve Rogers-like ernestness.

Last edited:
I think the Cap passing debate will end up moot. The audience has been trying to kill Captain America since Civil War, LOL! I honestly think he is going to live. I would not be shocked if he died, but ultimately I think he will live. I see Iron Man being the major loss. I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is positioning Peter to be the MCU replacement for Iron Man.

I don't think it would be cheap at all, unless it was poorly done. And I don't think it be just shoving one of those characters into a pre-existing Cap uniform and saying 'he's the new Captain America now.' They would have their own take on the uniform (with the shield obviously being the most important part) and their own style, and their efforts to live up to Cap's example would be a central part of the story.
As Spider-Fan has stated, I think this'll become a moot point as we're of different views. I just don't think there's a need for a second Captain America if the original were to die. :) I don't see why a character's identity needs to be replaced.

You/we shouldn't (or wouldn't?) expect someone else to step into the Ironman suit if Tony died (Ironheart is a different character); we wouldn't, or shouldn't expect someone else to run around with a Hammer if Thor died, and we wouldn't expect another Archer to pop along if Clint died, so why does someone need to step in as Captain America? I know that it happened in the comics, but the MCU is it's own thing, and can do better.

What about her? No, seriously, I loved Shuri, I want to see more of her, but why not both? What's wrong with Shuri continuing to have a major role in the Black Panther movies, maybe even getting her own superhero ID there and becoming an Avenger, while also Riri Williams is a tech genius who inherits the Stark AI and builds her own Iron Man suit?
In the comics, if my memory serves me, she becomes the Black Panther for a time due to an injured T'Challa? Whilst I wouldn't hate that, I'm hoping the MCU T'Challa doesn't need to give up the throne, and considering how long RDJ has been Ironman, and how soon he'll (likely) step out of the MCU, I'm not sure there's enough time to bring Riri into the fold, whereas with Shuri, she's already an established character that I think would fit in nicely to the role. The MCU has been known to mix things up a bit, and I think this would be one mix that would work out well. She can still be Wakandan, just with a suit of armour to protect the world - though it would maybe bring into question how redundant the BP suit would be if there's a Stark suit with Wakandan tech in it. :loco:

I think the Cap passing debate will end up moot. The audience has been trying to kill Captain America since Civil War, LOL! I honestly think he is going to live. I would not be shocked if he died, but ultimately I think he will live. I see Iron Man being the major loss. I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is positioning Peter to be the MCU replacement for Iron Man.
I think you're right about Stark; everyone is expecting Rogers to die, as they have been for a while now. Everyone likewise thinks Stark is here to stay, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were killed off (although I am actually expecting Rogers to die as well, maybe they'll have them both killed off in the two films?)

I don't remotely see Peter Parker taking over the role of Ironman though; he's a smart kid, but he's no genius (at least Stark/Shuri level). If anyone is going to stand in for Stark, it would either be Rhodey (depending on his knowledge of Stark tech) or the Ironman/Stark theme will simply be retired and we'll stick with Wakanda for the tech side of the fight.

I'm intrigued too about Parker's Iron Spider suit; presumably that's the best suit he'll ever get? Is it going to be destroyed in IF? Would seem a bit too soon for him to be wearing it in his solo films.

Goodness sake, I can't see Marvel doing legacy characters especially headlining their own film. Scott Lang is an exception as Hank Pym never headlined a solo film and they made him old. They'd probably just focus on the new big four + Spidey. Then maybe introduce X-Men, Fantastic Four, Nova, Silver Surfer when the new big four have reached a certain amount of film appearances.

As Spider-Fan has stated, I think this'll become a moot point as we're of different views. I just don't think there's a need for a second Captain America if the original were to die. :) I don't see why a character's identity needs to be replaced.

You/we shouldn't (or wouldn't?) expect someone else to step into the Ironman suit if Tony died (Ironheart is a different character); we wouldn't, or shouldn't expect someone else to run around with a Hammer if Thor died, and we wouldn't expect another Archer to pop along if Clint died, so why does someone need to step in as Captain America? I know that it happened in the comics, but the MCU is it's own thing, and can do better.

Because it's the whole point of Captain America's character. He isn't just a hero, he's a beacon that shouldn't be allowed to go out. It's the same concept that Nolan was playing with in his Batman trilogy, only Batman as a beacon is a retcon whereas Captain America as a beacon runs to the absolute core of his appeal as a character. I agree there's no need for the rest of them, though that doesn't mean they can't happen anyway. But Cap can't just fade away.

In the comics, if my memory serves me, she becomes the Black Panther for a time due to an injured T'Challa? Whilst I wouldn't hate that, I'm hoping the MCU T'Challa doesn't need to give up the throne, and considering how long RDJ has been Ironman, and how soon he'll (likely) step out of the MCU, I'm not sure there's enough time to bring Riri into the fold, whereas with Shuri, she's already an established character that I think would fit in nicely to the role. The MCU has been known to mix things up a bit, and I think this would be one mix that would work out well. She can still be Wakandan, just with a suit of armour to protect the world - though it would maybe bring into question how redundant the BP suit would be if there's a Stark suit with Wakandan tech in it. :loco:

I don't disagree it would work fine. But I think it would work just as well to give her her own id, if they wanted to. And Riri doesn't need to be established ahead of time, or, if you absolutely want her to be, all you really need is a few shots of Tony looking at her information on a computer. Her introduction as a character is intimately tied into the story of how she becomes Ironheart, anyway, so would necessarily be handled by her solo movie.

I think you're right about Stark; everyone is expecting Rogers to die, as they have been for a while now. Everyone likewise thinks Stark is here to stay, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were killed off (although I am actually expecting Rogers to die as well, maybe they'll have them both killed off in the two films?)

My personal expectation is that both of them will die, but Stark will stick around anyway as the Stark AI. Like I already said (even if they have no intention of ever doing Ironheart), the Stark AI is the perfect method for MS to have their cake and eat it too in regards to the future of Downey in the MCU.

Goodness sake, I can't see Marvel doing legacy characters especially headlining their own film. Scott Lang is an exception as Hank Pym never headlined a solo film and they made him old. They'd probably just focus on the new big four + Spidey. Then maybe introduce X-Men, Fantastic Four, Nova, Silver Surfer when the new big four have reached a certain amount of film appearances.

Well, first of all, I never said I thought these projects were likely. Just that this is the only way I see there being a fourth movie in these series in the short term, because just starting these trilogies up again like nothing has changed would be too much of the same thing and would crowd out all the new characters that are being established, and would likely lead over time to the entire universe becoming stale.

Secondly, I don't think an Ironheart movie or a Cap legacy movie are at all ridiculous, either. Marvel may or may not choose to do them, but there are very good reasons to believe they could work if done well. And there is at least one very obvious reason why marvel might be inclined to try them out: because if they can come up with a way to successfully replace Chris Evans and RDJ without pissing people off, that would be a huge boon to the future of the MCU.

Black Panther gets a trilogy. We can bank on that. Captain Marvel will be their first female headliner. You can bank on her trilogy too. Others like Dr Strange will get one but I sense some of these will be in the vain of a Captain America Civil War where other major characters will feature heavily.

GOTG could continue beyond the third film which we know is happening with major lineup changes. I used to be on board with a Thunderbolts film but the landscape changes with FF and Xmen coming home. And you know Fiege/Disney licking their chops on this one.

Spiderman is an outlier because currently another studio is involved and deals have to be extended. Common sense would tell me its a no brainer but the crystal ball is cloudy. Sony is run by a couple of morons and there could be a sell of assets. Hopefully Marvel gets Spidey back full time.

New characters will certainly be on the horizon because I believe Marvel goes to 4 films a year. Marvel will steam roll into the 2020's until the money printing press starts to break down.

When Fiege makes vague statements about the MCU changing its form and being very different from what came before I think there is something more to this and I don't mean just the absence/death of current characters. Phases will be obsolete. I also think the Avengers series will be a vastly different franchise in itself. More team up films of at least two major characters in solo titles. Similar to how they handled IM/Spidey.

But given the inclusion of Xmen/FF I think the alternative plans Fiege had in place in case they got them back comes into play obviously.

Because it's the whole point of Captain America's character. He isn't just a hero, he's a beacon that shouldn't be allowed to go out. It's the same concept that Nolan was playing with in his Batman trilogy, only Batman as a beacon is a retcon whereas Captain America as a beacon runs to the absolute core of his appeal as a character. I agree there's no need for the rest of them, though that doesn't mean they can't happen anyway. But Cap can't just fade away.
Except by going rogue, he's already gone out - surely? I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, I just think hat moving forward, other characters could serve as that beacon without the same identity.

I don't disagree it would work fine. But I think it would work just as well to give her her own id, if they wanted to. And Riri doesn't need to be established ahead of time, or, if you absolutely want her to be, all you really need is a few shots of Tony looking at her information on a computer. Her introduction as a character is intimately tied into the story of how she becomes Ironheart, anyway, so would necessarily be handled by her solo movie.
A fair point. I guess I just liked Shuri's performance and wouldn't otherwise want her written off because there wasn't any development for the actress/character.

Secondly, I don't think an Ironheart movie or a Cap legacy movie are at all ridiculous, either. Marvel may or may not choose to do them, but there are very good reasons to believe they could work if done well. And there is at least one very obvious reason why marvel might be inclined to try them out: because if they can come up with a way to successfully replace Chris Evans and RDJ without pissing people off, that would be a huge boon to the future of the MCU.
I wouldn't have thought they'd do an Ironheart film; I'd think, if the character is ever introduced, she'll be done in the same way that Tasha, Sam, Wanda or Vision were in that they'll be introduced in a bigger picture style event.

Black Panther gets a trilogy. We can bank on that. Captain Marvel will be their first female headliner. You can bank on her trilogy too. Others like Dr Strange will get one but I sense some of these will be in the vain of a Captain America Civil War where other major characters will feature heavily.
It will certainly be interesting to see who else they'd bring in for a film featuring heroes like Strange & Ant Man if they go the civil war route of expanding the characters.

GOTG could continue beyond the third film which we know is happening with major lineup changes. I used to be on board with a Thunderbolts film but the landscape changes with FF and Xmen coming home. And you know Fiege/Disney licking their chops on this one.
I'd think, if they do truly intend to do more than a trilogy with the Guardians (lets face it, they've the entire universe to play with) then the fourth film will quite likely have a very different line-up.

Spiderman is an outlier because currently another studio is involved and deals have to be extended. Common sense would tell me its a no brainer but the crystal ball is cloudy. Sony is run by a couple of morons and there could be a sell of assets. Hopefully Marvel gets Spidey back full time.
Heh, I'm worried here in all honestly. This is Sony's 3rd time (right?) attempting to reboot Spider-Man; the character worked well in Civil War, and in Homecoming, but those projects were with Marvel (working with). I wonder just how good future Spider-Man films will be if it's just Sony leading the way; they haven't exactly had much success, and yet they've got so much potential with that character.

Except by going rogue, he's already gone out - surely? I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, I just think hat moving forward, other characters could serve as that beacon without the same identity.

No, he's following the same symbolic trajectory as Nolan's Batman at the end of the Dark Knight. By being branded a criminal for doing the right thing, his symbol is temporarily tarnished, but when he returns to save the day triumphantly it will not only be restored but even enhanced. And when he makes his final grand sacrifice in the face of Thanos, it should light that beacon so brightly that no one in the marvel universe will ever forget it.

Other characters can also be role models, examples, etc. But the beacon of Captain America is a singular thing that transcends all that. That's the whole point of the character, and that's exactly where his entire trilogy has been leading him.

Or, I guess, they could just have Thor cast a magic spell to turn his body into a new shield shaped constellation in the sky...

Joking, obviously, but only because I literally just read that rather imaginative ending in an official marvel comic this morning. So when I say someone should hang onto his shield as a reminder of his powerful symbol, just know I could be pitching a lot worse. :sly:

A fair point. I guess I just liked Shuri's performance and wouldn't otherwise want her written off because there wasn't any development for the actress/character.

I don't think she's going anywhere. No more than War Machine or Falcon disappeared. In fact, I suspect she has a better shot than them at becoming a major character in her own right.

I wouldn't have thought they'd do an Ironheart film; I'd think, if the character is ever introduced, she'll be done in the same way that Tasha, Sam, Wanda or Vision were in that they'll be introduced in a bigger picture style event.

I think it could go either way. But I think if they did want to do her that an indepedent origin film would do a much better job of building her character than a running co-star gig.

I'd think, if they do truly intend to do more than a trilogy with the Guardians (lets face it, they've the entire universe to play with) then the fourth film will quite likely have a very different line-up.

Possibly in the 3rd one, already. The really big question mark for me in these upcoming Avengers movies isn't whether some of the Avengers will die (they almost certainly will) but whether some of the Guardians will die.

On the one hand, these aren't Guardians films. What do you tell people when they go to see Guardians 3 and find out Drax and/or Gamora died off in some other movie that wasn't Guardians branded? And isn't that kind of death massively undermining to the character building of the guardians trilogy?

On the other hand, it's Thanos. Drax can't not fight him. Gamora and Nebula probably can't, either. And Star-lord and the others can't let them do it alone. So how the hell do they survive that? And how will the Avengers audience feel if one or more Avengers wind up dead but the Guardians get out without a scratch?

I don't really think there's even a good answer to be had here, so I'm very curious to see what Marvel decides to go with.

On the other hand, it's Thanos. Drax can't not fight him. Gamora and Nebula probably can't, either. And Star-lord and the others can't let them do it alone. So how the hell do they survive that? And how will the Avengers audience feel if one or more Avengers wind up dead but the Guardians get out without a scratch?

I don't really think there's even a good answer to be had here, so I'm very curious to see what Marvel decides to go with.

Avengers lead the way. Which also mean they are the first to fall and everyone knows next summer comes the next movie.

Avengers lead the way. Which also mean they are the first to fall and everyone knows next summer comes the next movie.

In this instance I was referring to both the coming Avengers movies together - how might people feel if the Avengers lose big while the Guardians lose nothing? But I suppose its true enough that the Avengers are leading the charge and therefore take the brunt.

Black Panther and Doctor Strange will undoubtedly get sequels. Just judging by their box office. Ant man will probably get a threequel unless AM&TW bombs horrifically.

Stands to reason that with this logic, Captain Marvel won't be a one-off either.

I was thinking Pete was more a replacement for Banner.

Are we to assume though that the UN is funding Avengers following the accords? If so I could see T'challa and Shuri replacing Tony. If he steps aside as director of the Avengers.

I was thinking Pete was more a replacement for Banner.

Are we to assume though that the UN is funding Avengers following the accords? If so I could see T'challa and Shuri replacing Tony. If he steps aside as director of the Avengers.

The UN has political control at least. They seem to be trusting that Tony Stark would not take his toys and go home if pushed.

Spider-Man - Between Holland's age and the popularity of the character I think we'll get more than a trilogy as long as Sony/Marvel can get along. It should be great to see the character grow up rather than the constant status quo resets we get in the comics.

Black Panther - After this weekend there's no way they won't make a sequel. He's the perfect character to fill the void in the Avengers if RDJ and/or Evans retire as well.

Doctor Strange - I imagine we'll get a sequel after the setup with Mordo. I don't know about a threequel but I can imagine more Ragnarok/Civil War style crossover films involving Strange as well.

Ant-Man - I wouldn't mind if they stop at two. I imagine it'll hinge on the success of the second one rather than my personal opinion though.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but between the success of Ragnarok and Hemsworth/Waititi's enthusiasm I actually think Thor's the most likely character to get a 4th film. Personally my bets on them killing either Iron Man or Cap in Avengers 4 and I can't see either of them in another solo film. With GotG it's hard to say until after the third one.

Black Panther gets a trilogy. We can bank on that. Captain Marvel will be their first female headliner. You can bank on her trilogy too.

Why do you think we can 'bank on BP and CM getting trilogies'?

I wouldn't have thought they'd do an Ironheart film; I'd think, if the character is ever introduced, she'll be done in the same way that Tasha, Sam, Wanda or Vision were in that they'll be introduced in a bigger picture style event..

Who is this ironheart you guys (and gals) keep mentioning?? is that a creation of the new comics?

Why do you think we can 'bank on BP and CM getting trilogies'?

Because Black Panther is the most successful solo movie Marvel's ever made?

And Captain Marvel is Marvel's answer to years of criticism about why they haven't made any female driven superhero movies (and also Marvel's only direct competitor for Wonder Woman, at least for now) so making a single movie and then dropping her would be horrible PR (unless the movie is universally panned). Not to mention, if Ant-Man's moderate success was still good enough to rearrange their whole release schedule to make room for a sequel, it's hard to imagine a highly anticipated movie like Captain Marvel failing to at least match that.

Who is this ironheart you guys (and gals) keep mentioning?? is that a creation of the new comics?

Ironheart is a new character in the comics. Her name is Riri Williams. She's a young black woman with a genius intellect and some major difficulty with social interactions who spent most of her time in her garage building and inventing things. She had one friend who would come over and talk to her and get through her social walls, teach her about real life things, etc. Then her friend was killed in a random drive-by shooting (her father was killed in a similar way, I believe) and she became obsessed with the unfairness of the world and trying to stop it. She started building her own rudimentary supersuit and managed to catch Tony Stark's eye as someone who needs help/guidance. Tony Stark then died in some big heroic moment that I haven't actually read, but he sent a fully functional AI version of himself to Riri to help her be the best she can be. She finished her own version of her suit and tailored it to look very similar to his because he was an idol to her even before she got the AI, and she chose the name Ironheart and started superheroing.

Possibly in the 3rd one, already. The really big question mark for me in these upcoming Avengers movies isn't whether some of the Avengers will die (they almost certainly will) but whether some of the Guardians will die.
I've been thinking this also, and I'm expecting deaths on multiple fronts.

On the one hand, these aren't Guardians films. What do you tell people when they go to see Guardians 3 and find out Drax and/or Gamora died off in some other movie that wasn't Guardians branded? And isn't that kind of death massively undermining to the character building of the guardians trilogy?
Anyone who casually watches Guardians without watching the other films (especially the Infinity War and sequel) knowing that the Guardians are in it, isn't (or shouldn't) expect to be bothered by the loss of a Guardians character in GotG3.

There's probably people out there who haven't watched all the MCU, but between pure Avenger fans and/or pure Guardians fans, you'd at least expect both groups to get in on the Infinity War and sequel films because their chosen characters are taking part.

As much as I doubt Peter wouldn't want to help Drax & Gamora defeat Thanos, I can't quite see him being the best choice to fight him; he doesn't actually have any powers (that we know of) despite being half godlike. Gamora & Drax will definitely want a piece of Thanos, but there's also other characters that are in a better position to fight him; Hulk for example (that scene is going to be awesome by the way).

It should seem obvious that one of the original three (Rogers, Stark & Thor) will be killed off. I'll truly be amazed if all three of them survive. I'm further expecting (a) Guardian to die, and I think it'll be a toss between Drax and Nebula; if the latter, then I figure we may avoid that problem you mentioned above because as far as Guardian fans go, Nebula will have just disappeared to find her place in the universe.

Those are, I think, the most likely fatalities anyway, then you'll have the backup and/or secondary characters like Wong, Rhodey, Sam, maybe M'Baku and/or Okoye and then whatever's going on with Vision.

Who is this ironheart you guys (and gals) keep mentioning? is that a creation of the new comics?
I don't know which comics she originates in - I don't actually read comics, I just do research from time to time. Either way, Ironheart is a young, black (African-American) girl called Riri Williams who's some sort of genius (like Shuri I guess?) who Stark finds(?); she ultimately ends up taking over(?) the mantle of Ironman, but with an Ironheart suit/name (essentially your female Ironman, but I guess they didn't want to use Ironwoman).

Edit: Bayne beat me to Ironheart. Git! ;)

I don't know which comics she originates in - I don't actually read comics, I just do research from time to time. Either way, Ironheart is a young, black (African-American) girl called Riri Williams who's some sort of genius (like Shuri I guess?) who Stark finds(?); she ultimately ends up taking over(?) the mantle of Ironman, but with an Ironheart suit/name (essentially your female Ironman, but I guess they didn't want to use Ironwoman).

Edit: Bayne beat me to Ironheart. Git! ;)

I don't know if she previously appeared in some other story, but her ongoing comic is simply called 'The Invincible Iron Man', just like Tony's was, but they restarted the issue numbers for her. And I think there might also be an Invincible Iron Man still ongoing that somehow stars Tony, as well, though that makes no sense. It could just be the massively confusing way issues are presented on the Marvel unlimited website.

Ahh.. Since i stopped collecting comics around 98-99 time frame, that's why i never heard of her..

Yes, I think Ant-Man, Black Panther, & Doctor Strange will get a trilogy.

Black Panther is pretty much the new Iron Man with the black folks of USA. If Tyler Perry can spit out three Maeda's Boo movies, Marvel will do two more. Lets hope Denzel Washington is in the sequel as the villain.

Doctor Strange is def getting a sequel due to the Morto character turning heel at the end to set up a sequel. And with Infintiy War, I bet Strange will be even more popular.

Ant-Man, I would originally said no, but the sequel is getting A LOT of hype that I had no idea would come. And the follow up to Infinity War, I'd say Ant-Man & Wasp will be successful which will lead to a threequel.

And honestly, its going to be hard, I mean HARD to top the Captain America trilogy which many consider the absolute best comic book movie trilogy of all time.

Captain Marvel = too early to tell. I'm sure the movie will be good, but thats bc its MCU film. Not sure if it will catch on with the public. Who knows....Maybe Marvel will push the Woman power and get a lot of media attention to empower women the way they did it with Black Panther. Wonder Woman did get there first, but Marvel can prolly take it up a notch considering DCEU is crap and MCU cant miss at this point. Plus Brie Larson is more of an 'average girl' and more females can relate to her rather than Gal Gadot, a freaking international super model.

Ant-Man is already on film 2. I think they will just top out the trilogy so long as it doesn't bomb. I think if it evens just makes same ballpark as the first movie, it will get a 3rd film.

If Black Panther doesn't get a trilogy there will be real members of the black panthers outside Kevin Feiges house.

I don't see how this is a question. Marvel has shown a certain dedication to its characters. The only reason Hulk cant get a trilogy is because of rights issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"