Do you think new heroes will also get trilogies?

Damkac

Civilian
Reaction score
So far we had 3 Iron Mans movies, 3 Captain Americas, 3 Thors and GotG will also get the 3rd movie. Do you think Marvel will keep this with the new heroes likes Dr Strange, Black Panther, Cpt. Marvel, Ant-Man&Wasp? With Spider-Man it's safe to think he will get at least 2 other movies. But could the other heroes also get 3 movies each?

And do you think we'll see 4th movie for IM, Cap or Thor?

I would expect a third instalment from Ant Man (and the Wasp), and I'd be somewhat surprised if we didn't get (at least) a Spider-Man Trilogy (although considering how young Tom Holland is, and how big the Spiderverse is), it's quite possible we'll get quite a few films out of the MCU version of this character providing the MCU hype remains strong.

It's obvious the likes of Vision, Wanda, Clint & Natasha aren't going to get any solo films, although there's ongoing talk about an all-female superhero film taking place at some point I'll believe that when I see it).

Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel I remain sceptical about as far as sequels go. Captain Marvel obviously hasn't come out yet, but it depends on what origin story they try to tell, and where they can go afterwards. It's possible that we could get Black Panther sequels, but it'll be hard to match the first if they follow the footsteps of the first (primarily with it being set in Africa/Wakanda and about the throne).

Doctor Strange I see as more a supporting character now; in that he'll step in with the Avengers, or make cameo appearances in other films. I just think Cumberbatch is quite busy, so scheduling him for a full solo film might be tricky. I guess it depends on what other characters they can throw into the MCU too.

Then there's characters we've not been introduced too yet; I'll be amazed if we don't actually get a cameo from the F4 in either Avengers 3 or Avengers 4, now that they belong to Disney/Marvel again. There's got to be a trilogy for them, easily.

So far we had 3 Iron Mans movies, 3 Captain Americas, 3 Thors and GotG will also get the 3rd movie. Do you think Marvel will keep this with the new heroes likes Dr Strange, Black Panther, Cpt. Marvel, Ant-Man&Wasp? With Spider-Man it's safe to think he will get at least 2 other movies. But could the other heroes also get 3 movies each?

I would expect trilogies for all those mentioned. If Feige’s 20 planned films before getting X-Men and F4 rights was true, then it would make sense. And all of them have the material I think. AM&W also would only need one more film if this one goes well.

Didn't notice this earlier.

I think it depends on how Avengers 3 & 4 concludes, if there is a potential 4th film for any of these three, I think it would be Ironman, and it would feature (the proper) Mandarin; he was references as existing in the one-shot; someone told 'Trevor' that the Mandarin wasn't too pleased with him for taking his name.

I think Thor is done; I'm expecting his character to be retired, and I'm expecting Rogers (unfortunately) to be killed off. I'd think Ironman 4 would be a good way of retiring Stark whilst at the same time passing the torch to (I suspect) Shuri.

That all being said, considering the nature of Wakanda, it's quite possible that [post Infinity War & sequel] Black Panther 2 will feature Stark in some capacity, and the handover could take place there.

I'm somehow convinced that Shuri is going to take on the MCU role that Riri Williams(?) plays in the Ironman Comics.

I would expect a third instalment from Ant Man (and the Wasp), and I'd be somewhat surprised if we didn't get (at least) a Spider-Man Trilogy (although considering how young Tom Holland is, and how big the Spiderverse is), it's quite possible we'll get quite a few films out of the MCU version of this character providing the MCU hype remains strong.

It's obvious the likes of Vision, Wanda, Clint & Natasha aren't going to get any solo films, although there's ongoing talk about an all-female superhero film taking place at some point I'll believe that when I see it).

Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel I remain sceptical about as far as sequels go. Captain Marvel obviously hasn't come out yet, but it depends on what origin story they try to tell, and where they can go afterwards. It's possible that we could get Black Panther sequels, but it'll be hard to match the first if they follow the footsteps of the first (primarily with it being set in Africa/Wakanda and about the throne).

Doctor Strange I see as more a supporting character now; in that he'll step in with the Avengers, or make cameo appearances in other films. I just think Cumberbatch is quite busy, so scheduling him for a full solo film might be tricky. I guess it depends on what other characters they can throw into the MCU too.

Then there's characters we've not been introduced too yet; I'll be amazed if we don't actually get a cameo from the F4 in either Avengers 3 or Avengers 4, now that they belong to Disney/Marvel again. There's got to be a trilogy for them, easily.

What you are missing is real world American identity politics. Black Panther did so well that without follow ups social/political critics will cry murder. Captain Marvel might get the same effect, but Wonder Woman is trailblazing there on the gender issue. So with some cover from DC story reasons as well as the box office and if the star is easy to work with will be more of a factor.

So where do they find the screen time if the Fantastic Four and X-Men deal goes through? I think the Avengers will be done as well as Doctor Strange. Ant-Man and The Wasp were a lucky get because an auteur developed the concept and Marvel bought it back. If the deal falls apart and with no one talking about other characters that haven't been allocated to TV already then the would probably keep running with what they got right now.

All the heroes headlining a film with their name on the title will get a trilogy. Though I doubt it would lead to becoming a quadtrilogy. Look at Iron Man. I'm not sure if Gotg would get a Vol. 4 movie.

Avengers though would be a 2 to 3 year tradition.

All the heroes headlining a film with their name on the title will get a trilogy. Though I doubt it would lead to becoming a quadtrilogy. Look at Iron Man. I'm not sure if Gotg would get a Vol. 4 movie.

Avengers though would be a 2 to 3 year tradition.

So Ant-Man and The Wasp get a third and they are replaced by Captain Marvel for her next two, paired with Dr Strange and Black Panther? I would assume that Spider-Man would keep going as long as Tom Holland wanted the role.

Iron Man, Captain America and Thor's third films all grossed a ton of cash. Marvel would be stupid to not greenlight fourth films. Even if they die in Avengers 4, they'll likely be resurrected with a new actor in the role within a few years.

I hope there is a Thor 4 and Captain America 4. In the case of Iron Man, we have a lengthy period since his last solo, but Stark still has the most total MCU appearances. I kind of hope Avengers 4 is his swan swong. If they want to continue with a new Iron Man, that's fine. I don't see a 4th RDJ Iron Man happening. I actually think he is my pick for most likely mega-death in Avengers 4.

On the front of other trilogies, I think they set out for at least trilogies when they make a solo. Only someone like Black Widow likely won't get a trilogy (mostly due to how long it has taken her to maybe get 1 movie). But, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, etc. I see trilogies.

Iron Man, Captain America and Thor's third films all grossed a ton of cash. Marvel would be stupid to not greenlight fourth films. Even if they die in Avengers 4, they'll likely be resurrected with a new actor in the role within a few years.

You think it is the character that is the draw, I think it is the actors and with screen time needed for mutants and the fantastic time has to be found somewhere.

I think going forward we will see more and more combinations of characters. The next Dr. Strange film could very well feature, Hulk or Thor or Iron-man... or all of the above and any other numbers of combinations of other characters.

So while we'll continue to see multiple films with established characters, I think the lines will begin to blur regarding which character actually claims the film (though the primary character will likely still be featured in the title).

And this may be a matter of semantics, but I don't feel we have had any "trilogies". To me, a trilogy is one story told over three films with a beginning, middle and end.

The first film is the first act, the second film is the second act and the the third film is the third act and conclusion. No sets of Marvel films have fit that pattern in my opinion.

To answer about the five characters you mentioned.

Black Panther - After his movie's success I think he's likely a shoe in for a trilogy. The Illuminati angle hasn't even been looked at yet still plenty of stuff for them to do with him and the sheer popularity will drive sequels.

Captain Marvel - Everything I read and hear about Captain Marvel makes it sound like they want her to be a leader like Cap or Iron Man so I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes really prominent and popular.

Ant Man - This is a weird one because even though he's a new character this is his second movie and since its usually one of the lower budget movies and the character has had a lot more exposure with CW and will get even more in Infinity War I think he gets his third film.

Spiderman - Like you said this is probably the safest bet.

Dr Strange - Of all of these characters the one I see the least likelihood of a trilogy is Strange. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie im just not sure if the demand for a trilogy is there I could be wrong.

Just noticed the second part of your question.

Well Hemsworth wants to continue to play Thor so there is hope for a Thor 4 I think.

IM4 & Cap 4 are the harder ones to see happening just now imo. If RDJ does more movies I think only Avengers ones or supporting roles seem to appeal to him more now.

Not sure with Evans either has he has expressed a lot of interest in other projects.

After this weekend, Marvel would be crazy not to do a BP trilogy. Especially without Coogler involved.

I doubt it.. I've already been hearing of many people getting burned OUT from all the super-hero film glut we already have..

I doubt it.. I've already been hearing of many people getting burned OUT from all the super-hero film glut we already have..

Just as they say they are tired of Reality TV and Hip Hop music, yet the actual sales figures paint a different story. People flock to the popular comic book franchises and ignore the Oscar bait that they say they like.

Black Panther will definitely get a trilogy. Spider-Man will probably get more than 3 movies considering how young Tom Holland is.

There is no doubt in my mind that Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel will all get trilogies. With Spider-Man being the most likely to get more than three films because its Spider-Man. Not to mention that we'll certainly continue to get more Avengers films after A4 next year.

When it comes to Iron Man, Cap, and Thor, I feel that Thor is probably the likeliest to get a fourth film in the distant future since Hemsworth seems the most eager about possibly continuing and Ragnarok turned his franchise around. As already mentioned, RDJ seems more interested in playing a supporting role than headlining another IM film, and I think Evans might feel the same about himself.

Ultimately, I think all of those three characters will get fourth films at some point, but my gut feeling is that that wont be until the roles are recast.

So where do they find the screen time if the Fantastic Four and X-Men deal goes through? I think the Avengers will be done as well as Doctor Strange. Ant-Man and The Wasp were a lucky get because an auteur developed the concept and Marvel bought it back. If the deal falls apart and with no one talking about other characters that haven't been allocated to TV already then the would probably keep running with what they got right now.
Despite desire, I don't actually think they're going to throw the X-Men Universe into the MCU; I know they can - I'm sure they'd be able to provide an explination for their vacancy until now, but I just don't think they will. Too many characters to carefully slot into place.

The F4 however; that's just four, or maybe five or six (Doom & Surfer) characters they'd have to deal with, and that, I think is more likely.

I think Marvel will stick with the trilogy pattern for now (with Avengers and Guardians being the only exceptions that move beyond three movies, and Guardians will turn into a rotating roster just like Avengers). If they were inclined to start dropping some characters early, Ant-man would've been the obvious choice. Yet despite the Ant-man movie being only a moderate success, they still went out of their way to restructure phase 3 and make room for Ant-man and the Wasp, so I'd say that trilogy is almost certain. Dr. Strange is the only other one who would even be a candidate for cutting the trilogy short, and yet half his origin movie was set-up for the sequels, so I don't see them just leaving it at that, either.

As for the returning characters: I fully expect at least 2 of the big 3 (Downey, Evans, Hemsworth) to be written out by the end of Avengers 4. Their future appearances will probably cameos at most, either via flashbacks or holograms, etc. I don't see any potential for a future Thor movie with Asgard dead and gone, nor for another IM solo story, and I expect Cap is clearing the field to make room for some of the other, similar characters to have their day in the sun (Captain Marvel as leader of the Avengers, Black Panther as the cool, street-level hero).

The only way I see those franchises returning in the short term is if we're getting legacy characters. So, Captain America IV starring Anthony Mackie and/or Sebastian Stan (with cameos from Chris Evans), Thor IV starring Natalie Portman and/or Tessa Thompson (with cameos from Chris Hemsworth) and Iron Man IV telling the story of young Riri Williams who finds out the late Tony Stark noticed her potential and left her an AI version of himself to help her achieve it.

Now, long term, they will be back, eventually, one way or another (not necessarily with the same actors). And it's entirely possible that long-term won't be as it long as it seems - who knows whether MS will even continue this version of the MCU once the Fox deal finally goes through, or whether they'll just finish phase 4 and then start over so they can rebuild everything with the FF and X-Men in from the start.

The only way I see those franchises returning in the short term is if we're getting legacy characters. So, Captain America IV starring Anthony Mackie and/or Sebastian Stan (with cameos from Chris Evans), Thor IV starring Natalie Portman and/or Tessa Thompson (with cameos from Chris Hemsworth) and Iron Man IV telling the story of young Riri Williams who finds out the late Tony Stark noticed her potential and left her an AI version of himself to help her achieve it.
Please no!
Now, long term, they will be back, eventually, one way or another (not necessarily with the same actors). And it's entirely possible that long-term won't be as it long as it seems - who knows whether MS will even continue this version of the MCU once the Fox deal finally goes through, or whether they'll just finish phase 4 and then start over so they can rebuild everything with the FF and X-Men in from the start.
Don't want this either.

Surely there'd not be film titled Thor 4 if Thor barely shows up in it? Likewise, the same logic would apply to Ironman if it's about a young girl.

Either way, Natalie Portman is done with the MCU, and she's done with the Thor films - thankfully. I don't think her heart was ever in it! The likes of Valkyrie we'll get to see again in Avengers 3/4, and possibly further in the future; maybe she'll end up with the Guardians? Especially if they write out, kill off, or retire the likes of Gamora and/or Nebula (the latter of which I'm expecting to be a casualty of Thanos in Avengers 3/4).

I'm sure Bucky & Sam will remain in the MCU - but as Bucky & Sam. I don't see either of them taking the mantle of Captain America (if he dies), as there's not really any need too; they're already established characters, and if Captain Marvel is soon to be on the team calling the shots, well, we don't need too many Captains on deck, do we?

Surely there'd not be film titled Thor 4 if Thor barely shows up in it? Likewise, the same logic would apply to Ironman if it's about a young girl.

Either way, Natalie Portman is done with the MCU, and she's done with the Thor films - thankfully. I don't think her heart was ever in it! The likes of Valkyrie we'll get to see again in Avengers 3/4, and possibly further in the future; maybe she'll end up with the Guardians? Especially if they write out, kill off, or retire the likes of Gamora and/or Nebula (the latter of which I'm expecting to be a casualty of Thanos in Avengers 3/4).

I'm sure Bucky & Sam will remain in the MCU - but as Bucky & Sam. I don't see either of them taking the mantle of Captain America (if he dies), as there's not really any need too; they're already established characters, and if Captain Marvel is soon to be on the team calling the shots, well, we don't need too many Captains on deck, do we?

I agree the Thor one seems unlikely, but there is precedent for it in the comics. Natalie Portman being out makes it more unlikely, but then, they could just give Jane Foster's Thor story to Valkyrie instead. But, I still think the most likely possibility is that there simply won't be a Thor movie, and probably not a Valkyrie movie, either. I expect to see Tessa Thompson in co-starring roles only.

The Ironheart movie could simply be titled Ironheart. Or it could be titled Iron Man Legacy, or something like that. It would simply be a question of marketing strategy.

The Cap idea, I think is perhaps the most likely of the three legacy possibilities. You can say Falcon and Winter Soldier have their own heroic identities, and that's true, but it doesn't change the fact that they owe those identities almost entirely to Steve Rogers, nor that the Legacy/mantle aspect is actually a huge part of Captain America's storyline as a character (that his ideals live on even beyond himself) and would be a perfect cap to what the MCU has done with him, with a lot of obvious potential for drama along the way.

But the one I personally would like to see the most is Ironheart, because I love that character and (frankly) find her way more interesting than Tony Stark. And its at least interesting to note that Robert Downey Jr. is slowly aging out of action parts - and while his role as Iron Man is one of the easier roles to accomodate a less active actor in (as we already saw in Homecoming), the ultimate way for marvel to have their Downey whenever they want without ever needing him to do too much would be for him to become the Stark AI (thereby also completing the narrative loop that began when he created Jarvis). But whether it will happen? It's impossible to tell yet. I'm looking forward to the phase 4 announcements eagerly.

The Cap idea, I think is perhaps the most likely of the three legacy possibilities. You can say Falcon and Winter Soldier have their own heroic identities, and that's true, but it doesn't change the fact that they owe those identities almost entirely to Steve Rogers, nor that the Legacy/mantle aspect is actually a huge part of Captain America's storyline as a character (that his ideals live on even beyond himself) and would be a perfect cap to what the MCU has done with him, with a lot of obvious potential for drama along the way.
If Rogers dies, then I'd think the Captain America identify should die too (at least within the MCU); Steve's principles can remain, but they shouldn't need the identity to retain it. Putting Bucky or Sam in the suit would feel a bit cheap (and a bit of a cheat) I feel; I'd much rather them remain their current characters, maybe just give Bucky a Shield in Steve's honour or something?

But the one I personally would like to see the most is Ironheart, because I love that character and (frankly) find her way more interesting than Tony Stark. And its at least interesting to note that Robert Downey Jr. is slowly aging out of action parts - and while his role as Iron Man is one of the easier roles to accomodate a less active actor in (as we already saw in Homecoming), the ultimate way for marvel to have their Downey whenever they want without ever needing him to do too much would be for him to become the Stark AI (thereby also completing the narrative loop that began when he created Jarvis). But whether it will happen? It's impossible to tell yet. I'm looking forward to the phase 4 announcements eagerly.
What about Shuri? I posted elsewhere, but what is it about Riri that you love? Would you be happy/content if Shuri was drafted into that role; she's a tech genius already, and it would be (I think) a fitting merge.

Iron Man 4 isn't being made. So Cap 4 and Thor 4 not being made isn't unrealistic. Especially when Marvel Studios just got another franchise that opened so big. They got plenty of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"