do you think reed richards can really cure ben grimm?

Anubis said:
I don't know. I just think he's bitter and opinionated. years of being screwed over by the big two have made him something of a sour puss. An old whiney fuddie duddy. But when you think about it, thats an accurate description of about 90% of all message board posters. The majority should love him. He's they're king.

Damn your right!

Leave it to a death and mummfication god to crystalize things.

:up:

^ Alright, is Stan Lee really a organic computer whose true purpose is to create an ungodly amount of beloved characters.

No, he's really what you people call Satan. he used to run bad place but he got fired and came to earth and started writing comic books.

heres a question why can't doom just use his tech or magic to fix his face. i mean if he can steal the powers of the sliver surfer, and the beyonder he should be able to fix some cuts and scars.

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:
heres a question why can't doom just use his tech or magic to fix his face. i mean if he can steal the powers of the sliver surfer, and the beyonder he should be able to fix some cuts and scars.
You're asking us to put logic and Dr. Doom's actions together. Can't be done.

Didn't Waid come up with something in how the cosmic rays that power the Fantastic Four can't be taken away, only re-distributed? (like Reed ultimately did when switching Johnny and Sue's powers).

Curing Ben permanantly would mean the end of the FF as we know it and that just wouldn't do.

Harlekin said:
Didn't Waid come up with something in how the cosmic rays that power the Fantastic Four can't be taken away, only re-distributed? (like Reed ultimately did when switching Johnny and Sue's powers).
Yep. Shunting the powers out of Ben's body would only cause them to jump into another nearby body.

Harlekin said:
That is correct. For Reed to cure Ben, he would have to make someone else the Thing. He's even volunteered himself quite a few times. Obviously, Ben would have none of it. And magic in the Marvel universe is just energy like anything else, so Dr. Strange isn't going to be able to come up with a different way, either.

So there you go; a completely in-canon, logical reason why Reed can't cure Ben, without any of that sketchy "he can't do it for story purposes" business.

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:

While not entirely canon, He did get a chance to have his face fixed in Doom 2099 #1. He turned it down however, stating that it was a reminder of his pain.

Like I said, it might not be considered canon, but I can see Doom keeping the burns and scars for those reasons as well as the lesson in patience it thought him.

Wasn't it revealed that the original scar Doom got from the accident with the machine was actually just a tiny scratch, and the thing with his whole face being burned was actually self-inflicted afterwards?

^never heard that. I doubt that the initial accident would have yielded just a tiny scratch. That helmet thing did kinda blow up in his face.

BrianWilly said:
Wasn't it revealed that the original scar Doom got from the accident with the machine was actually just a tiny scratch, and the thing with his whole face being burned was actually self-inflicted afterwards?

i saw that in the cartoon, when he first forged his face plate and it wa sstill hott he put it on his face, thus scaring it.

BrianWilly said:

I think thats how it went.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i think he can, if this guy can build a portal traveling into dimensions and build an invention on the spot, im so freakin sure he can find a cure ben grimm. seriously all the **** reed has built in the past, really proves that he doesnt have an excuse why he can't cure ben grimm. i also think in new avengers illumanti #1 what reed said was BS.
There have been Stories where Reed has inferred / admitted that part of the problem is Grimm. That in a best case scenario, Ben can turn it on and off, but because he doesn't believe "something?" he remains a monster.

Current continuity appears to go back to where Reed can "transfer" the Thing Mutation to someone else who has been irradiated with cosmic rays like they had been.

So technically one member of the FF could have all the powers,....Ala "Super Skrull" or any of the four can swap powers,.. Like Sue and Johnny did at one point.

HR-PUFF&STUFF said:
He chooses not to.

His original scarring was supposed to be minor.

Then he truly messed up his face by putting on his metal mask because he wouldn'rt wait for it to cool.

gildea said:
In theory he should be able to. But for the sake of the comic he can't.

Its one of those things you have to let slide.
exactly

I'm in total agreement that both the Thing and the Hulk's problems are psycological and should be cured for what they are.

No quick cures just lots of therapy and mabey some medication.

There's a lovely little scene in 1602 that pretty much sums Ben's condition up:

Ben: Reed -- you spoke of transmutations. Can you restore me to my humanity? I have been a monster too long.

Reed: In truth, I do not know, my friend. The natural sciences say yes, a cure is possible. But the laws of story would suggest that no cure can last for very long, Benjamin. For in the end, alas, you are so much more interesting and satisfying as you are.

("Laws of story"; wonderful bit of Gaiman scripting there).

XwolverineX said:
I always thought it'd be awesome if Banner and th' Hulk became to distinctive personalities, sharin' th' same host. Kinda like th' Prince an' th' Dark prince from Prince of Persia 3. Readin' their conversations with each other would be quite amusin'. An' it would be cool how th' dialogue would change dependin' on whom was in control at that certain point in time. :up:

Thats been sort of done a few times. Each Hulk was a distinct personality for much of Davids first run for example.

- Whirly

The Red Skull said:
There's a lovely little scene in 1602 that pretty much sums Ben's condition up:

Ben: Reed -- you spoke of transmutations. Can you restore me to my humanity? I have been a monster too long.

Reed: In truth, I do not know, my friend. The natural sciences say yes, a cure is possible. But the laws of story would suggest that no cure can last for very long, Benjamin. For in the end, alas, you are so much more interesting and satisfying as you are.

("Laws of story"; wonderful bit of Gaiman scripting there).

Yeah, we discussed that, most are in agreement with this/

Gaiman's interpretation is gloriously genius and should be stamped on the heads of pigeons everywhere...and yet, it's pretty much just a fancy way of saying "this is fiction, apply leaps of logic where appropriate."

I like Waid's interpretation better, wherein you can only transfer cosmic energy and not destroy it, and so Ben won't allow Reed to transfer his "curse" to anyone else. It's a logical, in-canon reason that takes into account all aspects of this universe and the characterizations of the people involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"