Does anyone else hate Christmas?

I LOVE Christmas time.

My family was never a materialistic family. We don't really care about the gifts and we aren't running up our credit cards and emptying our wallets either. Christmas isn't...or shouldn't be about that. The consumerism makes me sick. Some people literally destroy their bank accounts for some bulls*** and continue to reinforce the idea that it's necessary toward their children. It's a vicious cycle.

Same here. When me and my sis were young mom and dad always got us a good haul of presents because we were kids but they never broke the bank for Christmas. When we got older we all pretty much agreed we'd buy each other one thing a piece and leave it at that. We mostly focus on the Christmas meal and just enjoying our time off from work and our time together.

I definitely don't hate Christmas, but I do hate the way it's celebrated in America. It starts entirely too early. Mostly due to consumerism. Stores start putting Christmas stuff out earlier and earlier every year. My local stores put out their Christmas stuff in October! It's like Fall/Autumn doesn't exist anymore. In America summer ends and Christmas season begins.

I have another issue with Christmas in America, but before I say what it is, I want to be clear and say that my next gripe isn't directed at all Christians, but only a portion of Christians. There are some Christians who think that the entire month of December belongs to them and their holiday and it irritates the **** out of me. Christmas lasts a total of one day and a number of religious holidays are in December. All Christians need to accept this fact. They dont own the whole damn month, and me saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" isn't a deceleration of war against Christmas.

Last edited:
"Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" isn't a deceleration of war against Christmas.

Yeah, that complaint has always seemed silly to me. "Happy holidays" is a Christian phrase anyways... it derives from the Roman Catholic notion of "holy days" which includes Christmas, Easter, All Saints Day, etc.

Yeah, that complaint has always seemed silly to me. "Happy holidays" is a Christian phrase anyways... it derives from the Roman Catholic notion of "holy days" which includes Christmas, Easter, All Saints Day, etc.

That's a case of modern Christians having very little knowledge of the history of their religion.

Another instance of this is in regards to the misunderstanding of the phrase "Merry Xmas". There is the incorrect belief that this is an attempt to remove Christ from Christmas when in reality it's meant to be respectful. Some use it to be disrespectful, but the phrase was never meant to be disrespectful. Early Christians wrote and spoke Greek. The Greek word for Christ is Christos which is spelled Χριστός. Notice the first letter? Yep it is chi which is X in the English language. Early Christians were so reverent of Christ that they wouldn't even write his whole name. To them writing the name "Christ" was like taking the Lord's name in vein. They would only write the first letter X. "Merry Xmas" is actually more respectful than "Merry Christmas".

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/why-is-x-used-when-it-replaces-christ-in-christmas/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-x-in-xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

Many English protestants also don't realize that the -mas in Christmas is a shortened version of the word "mass". Christmas is an abbreviated form of Christ Mass. It's a wonder that early English protestants kept calling the holiday Christmas instead of changing the name to something like Noel. There was such a strong hatred back then amongst protestants for anything Catholic that a lot of stuff that even remotely referenced Catholicism was changed or thrown out entirely, but they kept calling the holiday Christmas for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I personally love the Christmas holiday. Love the music, the decorations, the food, cuddling with a loved one by the fire as it snows outside, seeing their face light up when you give them a gift, sneaking a kiss under the mistletoe at the family dinner...

...until I remember I'm alone, and then Christmas makes me sad.

That's a case of modern Christians having very little knowledge of the history of their religion.

Another instance of this is in regards to the misunderstanding of the phrase "Merry Xmas". There is the incorrect belief that this is an attempt to remove Christ from Christmas when in reality it's meant to be respectful. Some use it to be disrespectful, but the phrase was never meant to be disrespectful. Early Christians wrote and spoke Greek. The Greek word for Christ is Christos which is spelled Χριστός. Notice the first letter? Yep it is chi which is X in the English language. Early Christians were so reverent of Christ that they wouldn't even write his whole name. To them writing the name "Christ" was like taking the Lord's name in vein. They would only write the first letter X. "Merry Xmas" is actually more respectful than "Merry Christmas".

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/why-is-x-used-when-it-replaces-christ-in-christmas/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-x-in-xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

Many English protestants also don't realize that the -mas in Christmas is a shortened version of the word "mass". Christmas is an abbreviated form of Christ Mass. It's a wonder that early English protestants kept calling the holiday Christmas instead of changing the name to something like Noel. There was such a strong hatred back then amongst protestants for anything Catholic that a lot of stuff that even remotely referenced Catholicism was changed or thrown out entirely, but they kept calling the holiday Christmas for whatever reason.

Very informative post, my man. If this were Reddit, I'd give you gold.

I love Christmas and getting to spend good times outdoors with the family. Usually spend Christmas Day at the beach if it isn't raining. Happiest time of the year.

That said, I do think stores and people start promoting it too early. Leave the decorations and music until Thanksgiving.

There are two stations in my area that have already began 24/7 Christmas music. It blew my damn mind. At least wait until the last week of November.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

The unfamiliarity with ancient ways and customs has led to a lot of unnecessary paranoia in the Church universal. I'm not attacking Christianity or it's adherents (after all, I am one) but it's always wise to do a little research before doing a Don Quixote impression.

One of the most erroneous assumptions that I encountered over the years was rooted in the same disconnect between modern English and Greek. The "IHS" monogram often appears on pulpits and/or over communion tables. Somehow, the perception arose that the letters stood for "In His Service". I heard this numerous times growing up, until one of my college religion classes covered early Christian iconography and symbolism. While this is a benign misperception, it's still incorrect. They're actually the Greek letters Iota-Eta-Sigma or J-E-S, a shortened version of the name "Jesus".

http://www.jesuswalk.com/christian-symbols/ihs.htm

I love Christmas and getting to spend good times outdoors with the family. Usually spend Christmas Day at the beach if it isn't raining. Happiest time of the year.

That said, I do think stores and people start promoting it too early. Leave the decorations and music until Thanksgiving.
Yes, Thanksgiving is the official kick-off of the holiday season to me.

There are two stations in my area that have already began 24/7 Christmas music. It blew my damn mind. At least wait until the last week of November.

Yeah baby, bring it on. :woot:

I personally love the Christmas holiday. Love the music, the decorations, the food, cuddling with a loved one by the fire as it snows outside, seeing their face light up when you give them a gift, sneaking a kiss under the mistletoe at the family dinner...

Sawyer won't be available until after BVS is out. :o

Well that post took a depressing turn.:(

^Not really when you consider the lack of obligation to buy presents and spend a lot of money.

That sounds bad I know...

Anyway, I like the Holidays. The trips and stuff can be a bit stressful though.

We should all send each other Christmas cards :)
It's times like this I miss Knowsbleed oddly enough. He pretty much ran and organized the hype secret Santa and it was a pretty good hit for a few years.

We should all send each other Christmas cards :)
It's times like this I miss Knowsbleed oddly enough. He pretty much ran and organized the hype secret Santa and it was a pretty good hit for a few years.

You mean like through the actual mail? If so, "bah humbug"!!!

just kidding!!!

Christmas gets Batman all existential

ISCYIQh.jpg

but to be fair, finding a tree, putting up decorations, and kicking a grizzly can do that to a man

I don't like Christmas.
I love it.

I used to hate Christmas...and Valentines Day ...and New Years Day, lol. But I always loved Halloween.
Eventually, I found myself a great girlfriend who ended up being my wifey. We have two kids. One boy, one girl.
Long story short, they convinced me it was much healthier to live in joy than to live in a cold cast jaded existence. To take in as much of the positive and weed out the negative. To take traditions and make them our own. Celebrate them our own way. Not how TV tells us to. Not how others do it. But the way we want it to be.
I liked the sound of that very much. It became our thing.
Even if I had valid reasons for not liking it prior... I realized how right she was. Now we have so much fun every year. We decorate, bake, cook, play games and more together. There was a time when I sat on my couch and looked around our living room... And I said to myself...wow... Before this, my home was lifeless. Not a single piece of decoration... No presents... No music... Nothing. Just a jaded soul stuck in a rut.

I am blessed to have this today. We're not even financially all that stable either.
But somehow...we always end up making it work.
I guess it's a personal thing. I like it now. I like Christmas. We made it our own thing. It's like a way to get our minds off the ugly that plagues our world. A good boost for morale.

Oh. Hi. I'm sorta new here on Hype.:yay:

The only thing I hate about Christmas is getting a gift from someone you didn't expect would give you one. Then next year it just adds to the list of you getting said person something.

yeah i hate receiving free stuff too, especially when its a surprise like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"