Does Batman vs. Superman extended cut make the film better?

Solid

Civilian
Reaction score
I still haven't seen it, and i think the film is ok overall but i like it less and less after every rewatch.

It makes more sense.

But whatever holes it’s filling in still doesn’t make that story good or worth dragging out even longer. The Lois investigation subplot in particular is absolutely useless.

I say don’t bother.

No. It fills a few plot holes, but doesn't fix the fundamental problems of structure and character. It also makes the movie even longer, which is not usually a good thing.

I think it’s a night and day difference. I hated the TC, and watched the UE soon after it came out. I did a 180, and fell in love with the movie. Loved ZSJL too. Snyder’s trilogy is top tier superhero media.

I really don't understand people who love one and hate the other. I think the Ultimate Edition is slightly better as it does fix some plot and editing issues but most of the problems are still there. In fact the additional 30 minutes make it even more of a slog to get through.

I wouldn’t say I love the extended cut, but it’s still a better movie than the theatrical. Moves it from from an F to a C- in my book.

It's much more coherent and makes a lot more sense, narratively speaking. It feels less like a jumble of scenes randomly thrown together, and more like an actual story. On that level, yes, it's a better film.

Having never seen the theatrical cut, I can’t say, but let me tell you: the Ultimate Edition is boring as hell.
You didn't like seeing the feet of a waiter watching the Jon Stewart show where he talks about wearing the declaration of independence for a cape for Superman to prove his nationalism as an American?

:oldrazz:

Last edited:
You didn't like seeing the feet of a waiter watching the Jon Stewart show where he talks about wearing the declaration of independence for a cape for Superman to prove his nationalism as an American?

:oldrazz:

I don’t remember if that actually happened or not, but the fact that I believe it could’ve speaks volumes. :funny:

I loved watching it at the cinema, but yes, the additional 30 minutes edited out originally to complete the 3 hours, makes a huge difference and a 'better' film, for me.

It changes the 'landscape' completely, in terms of Clark's approach to the background to Batman and his methodology and COMPLETELY alters Superman's reactions in key scenes, showing him to be the character, that many who don't like the film, to be more like who we know him to be.

For me it's a masterpiece and I will always cherish watching it. I adore ZS 'trilogy'.

I can't say i am a fan of Zack Snyder's directing style, as he makes a lot of mistakes but i would say that despite it's flaws i have seen his films multiple times.

I still like Man of Steel but it suffers from the same issue as Batman vs. Superman, it gets worse upon each viewing.

I'll watch the extended cut next year (after seeing what people thought here and online in general) as i don't really wanna watch the theatrical cut again.

Yeah the Ultimate Edition is definitely superior to the theatrical version. I love the Ultimate Edition! I’m one of the very few that didn’t have a problem with the Martha scene (and was very surprised by the reaction to it online after I saw the movie in theaters)

Yeah the Ultimate Edition is definitely superior to the theatrical version. I love the Ultimate Edition! I’m one of the very few that didn’t have a problem with the Martha scene (and was very surprised by the reaction to it online after I saw the movie in theaters)

Me too, I really don't see the problem either, I don't get why people don't get it.

The Ultimate Cut has notably better editing than the theatrical release, but that is merely a rearranged slice of crap. A lot of the scenes removed for theaters release don't add to anything of value, I'm struggling to remember any moment that actually was of any value.

Clark investigation scenes? Three times of him asking for people to give vague replies and draw Batman's logo, one of the people is a GCPD officer, and they fear him more than wizards fear Voldemort while the Bat-Signal is on the roof of that building, a signal for summoning a wanted man.

Lois investigating the special bullet? The first episode of the 1988 Superman cartoon has Superman confronting Lex Luthor cause the vehicle used to commit crimes was manufactured by LexCorp, Lex simply shrugged it off when confronted by Superman with "True my company manufactured it, but you don't blame General Motors for reckless drivers using vehicles they bought from them". That they used the bullet scene as meat to excuse something makes it worse in a movie that pretends to be clever when an 80s cartoon has a version of the very same scene done briefly and cleverly.

Lady in the hearing talking about Superman's war crime? There isn't enough meat to make her scenes of real value since she wasn't even on the scene of the crime. Her change of heart and murder is a waste of time.

It also has more time wasting scenes like the one I told Boy Scout above and Alfred chopping wood.

Martha moment sucked because -no matter how you want to spin it, true or not true- it still is a scene of a 40 something years old getting mad at a 30 something years old cause he called his mommy and both dudes moms have the same name. And Lois had no real means to know the exact location she needed to go to to give away Superman's identity to Batman just to stop him from stabbing him.

Good lord. FIVE YEARS -and a half- after that disappointment and I still have enough energy and memory of it to complain about it. That the director's cut of Justice League (with its flaws) managed to be an improvement and -within reason- a good movie (Sorry @Ninjablade and @Deck Rickard) is nothing short of an unexpected miracle.
I don’t remember if that actually happened or not, but the fact that I believe it could’ve speaks volumes. :funny:
You can believe it, that it happened is really hard for me to forget.

Last edited:
The Ultimate Cut doesn't include 40 minutes of action that has been removed from the TC. It fixes some plot holes and gives a little more expansion on some characters but for me it makes it a longer less enjoyable experience.

It makes stuff make more Sense. And it has a couple of things in it that should definetly be in the theatrical cut.

But both versions are pretty badly edited.

The extended cut is worse for me because it's the same bad movie, just half an hour longer.

The subplots that the extended cut fleshes out are subplots that are completely extraneous, like Lois Lane and her stupid bullet. BvS needed to have less things going on.

Last edited:
Another way to put it: the difference between the theatrical and directors cut? Is like the difference between someone dying of cancer in two weeks, versus taking a cancer drug that means they will instead die of a heart attack in a month. Yes, it is technically an improvement, but its probably not an important enough improvement to be worth the cost and misery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"